Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

On 04/05/2023 at 10:08, Demitri_C said:

Did he seriously say he is up thwre with the likea of klopp arteta and pep in terms of football knowledge?

Takes media focus off his players.

On 04/05/2023 at 08:32, desensitized43 said:

I'd be interested to know why people think this. As you say in his early Bolton days he was a real pioneer of using statistical data and sports science to get the absolute most out of what he had available.

In my opinion, it's really not fair to lump him into the Dyche, Pulis and Bruce category and certainly I wouldn't use the term "dinosaur" as others have (I would with the other 3 listed!). I think the data he was analysing told him how important set pieces were and the value he could get from defensive shape/drilling/organisation. I think he was the first to recognise that at the top level defenders were getting smaller, weaker but better on the ball and he could exploit that with a Kevin Davies style battering ram.

When teams get promoted from the championship they aren't often the kinds of teams that are "built for survival" in the league. The kinds of teams that go up do so generally by being better on the ball rather than "agricultural" teams but when they go up they often need to change and adopt a more pragmatic style because there's so many teams in the prem that do it better. That transition is often really difficult to get right so they sack the guy that got them promoted and turn to someone like Allardyce who's done it before. In that way he's carved himself out a really nice niche - for which he can charge an absolute fortune!

He's not an idiot and he's not a dinosaur and there's good reasons why he hasn't made it to the top of the game but I'm really not sure he ever wanted to make it there either.

The word 'dinosaur' is just an insult so it doesn't have any objective description or characteristics, but FWIW I can't agree with your list. I don't see how Dyche can be more of one than Allardyce, given he's been managing more successfully in the league more recently. I also note that whether or not Allardyce was 'revolutionary' in his use of stats and dieting and so forth, the period in which he was 'a pioneer' was two decades ago. 

That's not really a knock, and I don't dislike the guy - I was On Here in 15/16 arguing we needed to sack Sherwood faster to get him in; we didn't, Sunderland did, and then they stayed up and we went down in ignominy. But then have they really had a better 8 seasons than we have since then? 

Overall I suppose it's not worth worrying too much about what it means, as the definition is so slippery. In as much as 'dinosaur' means anything, it seems to mean pragmatic, defence-minded and British. It is unclear to me why only British managers can be dinosaurs. The absolute number 1 most negative, cynical and percentage football I've ever seen in the top tier was Aitor Karanka's Middlesbrough, but you'd never hear anyone call him a 'dinosaur'. 

One thing I do think you're wrong about here though is the idea that Allardyce never wanted to make it to the top: he regularly talked about wanting to be England manager and accepted the chance when it came up, and he's made numerous 'imagine what I could do if I was in charge of Real Madrid'-type comments down the years. He's always been driven, and he's always had a bit of a chip on his shoulder. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

New manager bounce , it happens . They still got beat though .

City also have real madrid in the week and played a "weaker" team, just professionally saw the game out

Still had 81% possession

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/05/2023 at 09:50, Demitri_C said:

Leeds put in a spirited performance yesterday didn't getcthw tonking that most expected

It could have been 6 quite easily. 

Haaland missed multiple chances. 

On 05/05/2023 at 13:23, Pinebro said:

Takes media focus off his players.

I was never sure how that's supposed to work. 

They are professional athletes, and when faced with Manchester City, arguably the best team in the world, how is Bamford or Meslier supposed to dig out that 30% extra just because someone hasn't written an article about them in a shitty Yorkshire newspaper or tweeted about them? 

'Taking the focus off players' as a managerial tactic is a bit of a mystery to me. 

56 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

They are professional athletes, and when faced with Manchester City, arguably the best team in the world, how is Bamford or Meslier supposed to dig out that 30% extra just because someone hasn't written an article about them in a shitty Yorkshire newspaper or tweeted about them? 

'Taking the focus off players' as a managerial tactic is a bit of a mystery to me. 

I get it post game, all the top managers do it

doing it pre game and in general though? It's a bit weird

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Just makes them look like a bunch of clowns. The Allardyce press conference was embarrassing. 

Edited by The_Steve

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â