Leeds United

Qwpzxjor1

32 minutes ago, useless said:

Everton 117, Aston Villa 106, Liverpool 105, Arsenal 103, Mancehster United 95, Manchester City 91, Newcastle 88, Sunderland 86, Chelsea 85, Tottenham Hotspur 85, West Bromwich Albion 81, Bolton Wanderers 73 Blackburn Rovers 72, Sheffield Wednesday 65, Derby County 65, Wolverhampton Wanderers 65, West Ham United 62, Stoke CIty 62, Middlesbrough 62, small heath 57, Sheffield United 57, Burnley 57, Nottingham Forest 56, and Leicester City 53, have all spent more seasons in the top flight than Leeds, 50.

Also why we need to stay up to maintain the commonest top flight fixture villa-everton

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep if we go down we lose it next season to Liverpool v everton 

Arsenal vs United played the same as Liverpool vsEverton in the top flight

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That dominant period you refer to was 50 odd years ago. Why does that make them worthy of the top division. Huddersfield were a dominant team once upon a time too, so were Preston. Are they Premier League Teams as a result? Derby County and Nottingham Forest had incredible periods back then too, should they be in the Premier League as a result?

Football doesn't work like that.

They're a big club, but I don't know why they have a divine right to be in the Premier League when the majority of their existence has been outside of the top flight.

I didn't say they have a divine right. I said a team of their stature should be in the " Premiership". Their fan base alone is worthy of that, but that's my opinion, like it or lump it. 

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's not just about domestic success.

They have a massive fan base and a great ground.

Leeds replacing the likes of Bournemouth will enrich the league.

You can't underestimate the size of their fan base. I always give credit where due. 

13 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I didn't say they have a divine right. I said a team of their stature should be in the " Premiership".  

I'd class that as the same thing (it hasn't been called the Premiership for 13 years by the way. Nearly as long as the time Leeds have spent out of it ;) )

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Their fan base alone is worthy of that, but that's my opinion, like it or lump it. 

That's fine. I disagree with your opinion for the reasons I've given. That's what a discussion board is for.

I class them as a big club and I wasn't around in the 70s. Ultimately they've won the league title more recently and us and also played in european cup far more recently. They actually qualified for europe for five successive seasons between 98-2002 and made SFs of Uefa and championships league.

20 years ago they were pretty much doing what Spurs have been doing since 2015, in europe every season, always finishing in top 6 etc.

I consider them far bigger than say Sheffield Wednesday who have won one major trophy since 1935.

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I class them as a big club and I wasn't around in the 70s. Ultimately they've won the league title more recently and us and also played in european cup far more recently. They actually qualified for europe for five successive seasons between 98-2002 and made SFs of Uefa and championships league.

20 years ago they were pretty much doing what Spurs have been doing since 2015, in europe every season, always finishing in top 6 etc.

I consider them far bigger than say Sheffield Wednesday who have won one major trophy since 1935.

Sure Deportivo did similar in Spain and Parma in Italy and neither of them would be considered a big club. Both have also had similar struggles to Leeds

Anyway the fans have destroyed the city in celebrations and a police officer is in hospital after being hit with a bottle 

Social distancing went out the window with these clearings in the woods as well

• Like 1

Whilst I was a teenager in the 90s and remember Leeds as a top flight club from that and their European run around the millennium I don't see them as a big club. If it wasn't for the Damned United I wouldn't really know anything about their historical success and they've been down for so long now the 90s seems like a blip. 

I've also lived in and around Leeds since the year they went down, including living in Holbeck literally down the road from the stadium. Because of this it's probably the stadium I've been to most of all due to football, international rugby and working there for a bit and really don't get why people say its a great stadium as it's a dump. 

As for the fan base its incredibly fickle and is overrated. I honestly barely met any United fans for the first 10 years as strangely everyone from Leeds didn't care about football and were massive Rhino's fans. Only started regularly seeing Leeds fans when Bielsa came along and Rhino's weren't conquering Europe anymore. I've seen way more Bradford fans in my time up here. I fully expect the fan base to turn massively and demand Bielsa out (I was starting to hear this occasionally at the end of last season when they collapsed) and Orta to be sacked of they aren't challenging for Europe by Christmas. 

People forgetting Leeds went bankrupt trying to be a top side? Challenging in the champions league ? yeh that cost them a one way trip to division 1. Leeds united is the poster boy of FFP  and why it exists.

5 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Not a big fan of of "X teams deserves to be in X league because of non-playing metric" personally.  Leeds have been promoted because they've played well enough to earn it this season.  They've been where they for so long because they weren't good enough.  Your Bournemouths, Brightons or whatever, they are where they are because they've earned it.  I'm all for giving respect where it's due for a club's stature, history etc. but something like "well X are a real team, proper fans, big stadium, be better to have them in the top-flight than some tinpot outfit", nah not for me.  To each their own, though.

This x infinity.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â