Media and punditry

Jarpie

On 26/09/2024 at 14:25, rodders0223 said:

"Let's be clear here."

"Fundamentally"

"It's quite simple"

I've never known someone be so wrong yet continually talk down to people.

Obviously never met my Mrs then

Bizarre conversation on 5Live tonight. Darren Fletcher, NRC and a couple of others discussing who is the best goalkeeper in the premier league. They’re listing Reya, Onana, about a dozen names they’re comparing. In twenty minutes, not a single mention of Emi. 
I know we often have a bit of a victim complex about being ignored by the media but to not even rate a mention is just ridiculous. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Bizarre conversation on 5Live tonight. Darren Fletcher, NRC and a couple of others discussing who is the best goalkeeper in the premier league. They’re listing Reya, Onana, about a dozen names they’re comparing. In twenty minutes, not a single mention of Emi. 
I know we often have a bit of a victim complex about being ignored by the media but to not even rate a mention is just ridiculous. 

Mentioning Onana ends any credibility to the argument

Not to excuse this, because I think that's pretty embarrassing on their part, but I find this pretty common. I voiced my opinion that Martinez is at a similar level to Alisson to a couple of Liverpool friends and they didn't just laugh at it, they looked genuinely stunned, as if I'd suggested the Loonies might win the next General Election. Despite literally winning the Copa, then the World Cup, then the Lev Yashin thing, I think non-Villa fans just don't really rate him that highly.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not to excuse this, because I think that's pretty embarrassing on their part, but I find this pretty common. I voiced my opinion that Martinez is at a similar level to Alisson to a couple of Liverpool friends and they didn't just laugh at it, they looked genuinely stunned, as if I'd suggested the Loonies might win the next General Election. Despite literally winning the Copa, then the World Cup, then the Lev Yashin thing, I think non-Villa fans just don't really rate him that highly.  

If my club paid 70 million for a keeper, I'd be so full of buyer's remorse regardless of production that I'd stare at anyone mentioning any other keeper in disbelief also. It is a ridiculous sum they paid for him for a person who is not organizing the defenses in front of him. Either the job falls to others in the backline, or it's not done at all.

Even putting aside whether or not Emi gets mentioned, I have historically, always put **** all stock in the opinions of non-goalkeepers on goalkeeping. All of them, regardless of their own individual level, haven't got a **** clue what they're talking about and it is possibly my biggest punditry pet peeve that you don't have one ex goalie on every panel who can actually provide some lived insight.

Not sure if this is the ideal place for this. Looked for a football articles thread (at least in the most recent 11 pages 😉) but didn’t see anything and didn’t think I should start a new thread 

Great piece from The Athletic. xSH (expected s***housery) is absolutely 🤣🤣🤣

Football’s dark arts. You may have read, heard or watched a bit about that subject this week.

Wind-up merchants, rule benders, injury fakers, divers, pinchers, medical staff who love running on the pitch, time-wasters… every club has them, but how dark arts-y is your team?

We can — and will — use metrics and data to help discover the best/worst offenders, but nefarious behaviour cannot always be quantified: teams should also be subjected to the eye test.

Ranking each Premier League club for ‘dark arts’

I swear there is some sort of media conspiracy coupled with the bots on Twitter trying to make give a shit about this Arsenal v Man City rivalry to give it some heavyweight bout style clout. It just isn’t going to work. They tried it with Liverpool City and that didn’t really work. These aren’t real rivals. I doubt any old school Arsenal fan sees city as a rival in any sense other than them being their challengers for the title. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â