Media and punditry

BOF

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

well no, lineker looks 63 and roy looks 76 

but rooney does not look like a 38 year old man

Wayne Rooney

but thats not a knock on him, i don't see why anyone would think otherwise, at no time in his career has rooney looked his age, he's always looked 10+ years older, id say with his body type and physicality he looks exactly like you would expect

less exaggerated than 60 id say he looks like a man in his late 40s / early 50s

If you ignore the fuzzy hair transplant I'd say comfortably 50s.

But again, I don't care what he looks like.

I care that his current job, that I and millions of other licence fee payers are paying for, is to talk about football. And yet he is unable to talk in a coherent manner.

From today's beeb football. This stuff deeply engrosses, it really does.

So is the home view of England too pessimistic? Are we expecting too much from Gareth Southgate's side? Are the media too critical?

I have your answer. Yes. Yes. Yes.* Utterly no question. But asking if the home view of England is too pessimistic? 🤣 Might as well ask if someone drowning in a sea of Heinz beans feels hungry.

The nice thing about the English media is that there's always a happier flip side to the dark cathartic process playing out in the media.

With the Dutch press, they just keep reaching down and down and down. But things in England can and do turn around quickly, with politics and football alike. I actually am convinced it's become a kind of cultural substitute for religion, that whole cycle of love-hate-love. It's a place of second and third chances. I love that. If begrudgery is a national pastime in Ireland, and overstatement America's, the angst-to-joy-and-back-again cycle is England's, and England are in the unholy despair part of the process this week.

Spoiler

* I'm writing from America, so I'm almost pathologically optimistic about England, I admit.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, PaulC said:

That's harsh. He's put on a lot of weight but looks nowhere near 60

I'd say he looks nearer to 60, than 40, IMO

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

By your criteria Gary Linekar looks 80 and Roy Hodgson 100 🙁

Everyone isn't the same. Lineker looks good for his age, as he looks after himself.

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Everyone isn't the same. Lineker looks good for his age, as he looks after himself.

True I could believe when they said the Chap who threatened Holly Willoughby was only 37. I thought he was in his 60s.

Ferdinand straight away on BBC. "Yes I think England can win it from here, they have a very effective way of playing."

F*** me. If we can win the tournament with Gareth only getting 30-40% out of most of the players, this team must have insane quality. Imagine if all the player were at 100%, 80s Brazil would get whipped. 😂

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Why are ITV getting rid for Clive Tyldesley mid tournament? A very strange decision.

The voice of 90s/00s Champions League matches, when they were on ITV.

Guessing his contract probably expired June 30 and he is apparently 3rd choice commentator now so pointless extending it

14 hours ago, duke313 said:

Why are ITV getting rid for Clive Tyldesley mid tournament? A very strange decision.

The voice of 90s/00s Champions League matches, when they were on ITV.

Cos he's shyte. Been stealing a living for years. Awful commentator.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, villa89 said:

Cos he's shyte. Been stealing a living for years. Awful commentator.

If it's a choice between keeping Tyldesley going into his 70s/80s/90s or having to listen to Sam 'you deserve this' Matterface then I'm picking Clive every day of the week (even though he's quite annoying). As cheesy as some of Tyldesley's commentary is, he at least doesn't try and make the event about him in the way that other commentators do (Matterface, Drury, Champion). Plus the double act of him and McCoist has been entertaining at times over the years, even if Ally does say 'he's go'a score!' about 20 times a game.

Lee Dixon is the worst, sometimes I think what game is he watching, is someone playing on Fifa next to him. Materface isn't much better! 

Stevie Wonder and Andrea Bocelli could probably give a better play by play commentary than these 2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Right, Jacob Steinberg, got it --- OK? This pronouncement from four days ago hasn't aged well. Gets it pretty much perfectly wrong, whilst making all kinds of fun and interesting points.

England need to change – and that means dropping Jude Bellingham
Jacob Steinberg
in Erfurt

The 20-year-old is England’s future but he is not playing like someone who can help them in the present at Euro 2024

41 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Lee Dixon is the worst, sometimes I think what game is he watching

Dixon is a **** dullard. He's basically Lawro for millennials.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lainux said:

Would have been good to have Tyldesley for this Belgium vs French game...

I'd rather have Ivy Tyldesley commentating than what we currently have. 

Â