Media and punditry

BOF

On 20/06/2024 at 19:24, Mark Albrighton said:

Cards on the table, I like Lineker. I think he’s a good presenter. So I am bit biased.

I think the main problem with him being a presenter is, as a presenter, he kinda has to defer to the panel and ask THEIR opinions when more often than not, his opinion is more interesting and better articulated.

It was nice watching him get invested about the issue with Kane’s game tonight. But by and large, he has to ask Rio and Micah their views instead.

His podcast is really good tbf and he's been quite damning on there this past week regards to England but yeah like @zatman says the constant "he's got to change it now." and "he'll have realised this isn't the way we should be playing" from pundits is infuriating. 

He hasn't changed. He will never change. If he didn't change after shitting the bed the last 3 knockouts he's not suddenly going to change now.....and even if he did, which it won't, the England team can't just turn it on after years of pragmatism drilled into them. That's not how it works.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Why aren't all these old white millionaires given jobs for life. Health and safety gone mad.

Its a clickbait headline if ever saw one, he doesnt sound bitter at all and wasnt even sacked

hardly Lawro or Le Tissier territory

• Like 1

I used to really like F365, the mailbox and mediawatch mainly, but it's been descending into clickbait red top nonsense for some time now. This article is a prime example, some of the language used for teams that haven't broken any rules is staggering, it felt like I was reading The Sun... the very kind of media they used to mock *shakes head*

As with the rest of the Premier League, the four clubs need to submit their accounts by the end of the month and are all at risk of breaching PSR regulations – which allow losses of £105m over a three-year period – if they don’t sell some players. Rather neatly – in what has been considered by some to be ‘player laundering’ – they appear to greasing each other’s palms in a bid to avoid FFP sanctions.

https://www.football365.com/news/ffp-swap-deals-chelsea-villa-everton-newcastle-psr-loophole-june-30-feature

• Like 2

I suspect I’ll be in the minority here but I actually think Rooney has something to say when he’s being a pundit. If you can get past his delivery, I genuinely think he is showing up some of the others. 

18 hours ago, choffer said:

I suspect I’ll be in the minority here but I actually think Rooney has something to say when he’s being a pundit. If you can get past his delivery, I genuinely think he is showing up some of the others. 

I can't get past his delivery unfortunately. I can barely understand him so I don't try to, I turn over.

• Like 1

I get that England have been playing poorly but the repeated media narrative of “how is he not starting [insert young player with barely any experience]?! He must start!!”

Before the tournament it was “he has to start foden and Bellingham”; a couple of days ago it was “he has to start someone other than Trent”; now it’s become more dispersed with various examples of “he has to start Mainoo, Wharton, Gordon, palmer”. 

It’s all very tiresome and repetitive with such a lack of shame/awareness. There’s definitely room to tweak the 11 but if we’re performing as bad as we are with the likes of Bellingham, foden, rice, saka, Kane all starting that should tell you its tactics more than personnel that’s the problem 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I can't get past his delivery unfortunately. I can barely understand him so I don't try to, I turn over.

Rooney looks about 60. 

28 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

I get that England have been playing poorly but the repeated media narrative of “how is he not starting [insert young player with barely any experience]?! He must start!!”

Before the tournament it was “he has to start foden and Bellingham”; a couple of days ago it was “he has to start someone other than Trent”; now it’s become more dispersed with various examples of “he has to start Mainoo, Wharton, Gordon, palmer”. 

It’s all very tiresome and repetitive with such a lack of shame/awareness. There’s definitely room to tweak the 11 but if we’re performing as bad as we are with the likes of Bellingham, foden, rice, saka, Kane all starting that should tell you its tactics more than personnel that’s the problem 

We know it's tactics defo. But some are trying to find players which will fit his terrible system. Young players will always work hard.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

By your criteria Gary Linekar looks 80 and Roy Hodgson 100 🙁

well no, lineker looks 63 and roy looks 76 

but rooney does not look like a 38 year old man

Wayne Rooney

but thats not a knock on him, i don't see why anyone would think otherwise, at no time in his career has rooney looked his age, he's always looked 10+ years older, id say with his body type and physicality he looks exactly like you would expect

less exaggerated than 60 id say he looks like a man in his late 40s / early 50s

Â