Media and punditry

Jarpie

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You already know lol... and guaranteed, even if he did say it, it was purely in jest/banter and probably in different context.

People are too uptight about everything ffs 

How much shite do we talk about opposition players, managers and the like on here?

I actually agree on this specific point JV - but you must agree surely that Rio is an annoying so and so at best ?

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Meh. He supports Man U. I've said waaaaay worse about Man U on here. 

I don’t get this argument.

If I say “VAR is corrupt”, it’s not newsworthy, it might prompt someone to ask me why I think that on here, but that’s it. 

If Rio Ferdinand says “VAR is corrupt” then of course it will create more discussion. 

Likewise, if I call Klopp a prick for celebrating in front of the 4th official’s face then pulling his hamstring like a word removed, so what? It’s not noteworthy.

If Roy Keane calls Klopp a prick on TV or in a similar public fashion, then it would obviously cause more discussion and more people would either support or kick off regarding his comments.

We know this is the case. The public figures know this is the case.

I think what is said by supporters online and what professionals say in the media is not really comparable. Rightly or wrongly their opinions are more highly regarded and subsequently repeated and therefore should be scrutinised more.

If I believed my opinions were taken seriously and carried any weight, I would be way more mindful of my phrasing.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t get this argument.

If I say “VAR is corrupt”, it’s not newsworthy, it might prompt someone to ask me why I think that on here, but that’s it. 

If Rio Ferdinand says “VAR is corrupt” then of course it will create more discussion. 

Likewise, if I call Klopp a prick for celebrating in front of the 4th official’s face then pulling his hamstring like a word removed, so what? It’s not noteworthy.

If Roy Keane calls Klopp a prick on TV or in a similar public fashion, then it would obviously cause more discussion and more people would either support or kick off regarding his comments.

We know this is the case. The public figures know this is the case.

I think what is said by supporters online and what professionals say in the media is not really comparable. Rightly or wrongly their opinions are more highly regarded and subsequently repeated and therefore should be scrutinised more.

If I believed my opinions were taken seriously and carried any weight, I would be way more mindful of my phrasing.

But he's not acting as an impartial pundit. He obviously has skin in the game.

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

But he's not acting as an impartial pundit. He obviously has skin in the game.

And he will get called out for it.

He’s a high profile public figure, producing public content.

YouTubers and the like often get called out, why shouldn’t Ferdinand?

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

And he will get called out for it.

He’s a high profile public figure, producing public content.

YouTubers and the like often get called out, why shouldn’t Ferdinand?

Maybe, but on the flip side, purely as an Aston Villa fan it does not bother me, as I choose to take the comments as being from a Man U fan, just as bants from any Man U fan doesn't bother me. His media engagements are generally as an op-ed 'colour commentator', to use a US term. If it was someone who is hired to be impartial, it would be different. 

No one tends to call Collymore out on his pro villa stuff.

Just now, HKP90 said:

Maybe, but on the flip side, purely as an Aston Villa fan it does not bother me, as I choose to take the comments as being from a Man U fan, just as bants from any Man U fan doesn't bother me. His media engagements are generally as an op-ed 'colour commentator', to use a US term. If it was someone who is hired to be impartial, it would be different. 

No one tends to call Collymore out on his pro villa stuff.

I see Ferdinand as a BT sports pundit, so he is also choosing to wear that hat. Maybe he’s wearing the Man Utd fan hat in that podcast, but ultimately if he’s also earning a living as a supposedly impartial pundit for BT, he can’t complain if people expect him to behave as such. It doesn’t do his credibility of a “proper” pundit any good when he’s being a bit more flippant like that.

Collymore, I don’t listen to and not dissimilar to Agbonlahor, I don’t hold his opinion to a high standard. If he acts obnoxiously he should be called out (and I bet opposing supporters do).

Probably not too many Man Utd supporters are unhappy about Ferdinand’s daft little comment. And I’m also willing to bet Ferdinand’s comments carry more weight with more people than most. So again, it will be scrutinised more.

Old but relevant... Of course Carra was chiming in for his mate..."he hasn't had a transfer window"...if you're a good manager, you get the best out of what you have.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Twatty Agbonlahor once again bashing Remi Garde and absolving himself of any criticism on TalkCrap again. 

Really don't get why people listen to Talksport. 

• Like 3

leao has signed a new deal for milan.

why is this relevant? just last night rio ferdinand was trying to sell him by saying "how great he would be at a big club" despite said club about to play in a CL semi final

to be fair, he did preface his comment by saying "no disrespect to milan"...which is the standard line pundits say before being totally disrespectful as if it makes it all OK

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

why is this relevant? just last night rio ferdinand was trying to sell him by saying "how great he would be at a big club" despite said club about to play in a CL semi final

to be fair, he did preface his comment by saying "no disrespect to milan"...which is the standard line pundits say before being totally disrespectful as if it makes it all OK

In fairness he is spot on, he can be a big fish at a European minnow like Milan or move up to join the Champions League powerhouses of Spurs, Newcastle or City

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Good lord. They are one of the biggest clubs in Europe. The disrespect is one thing, the utter embarrassment of not knowing anything about them is worse. He played against them multiple times in the Champions League. 

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's pretty stupid, but it's just the nature of a public poll that people vote for players they've heard of. 

There was a more famous forward who transferred last summer that was always a guaranteed success

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

There was a more famous forward who transferred last summer that was always a guaranteed success

True - the poll was probably taken during that brief window of Discourse after the Charity Shield when everybody decided Haaland wouldn't be able to hack it and that Nunez had been a better purchase. 

16 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Good lord. They are one of the biggest clubs in Europe. The disrespect is one thing, the utter embarrassment of not knowing anything about them is worse. He played against them multiple times in the Champions League. 

For a former pro, Rio's football knowledge is completely embarrassing.  Between him, and the likes of Owen, McManaman, Joe Cole etc. BT Sports has to have the absolute worst pundit line-up.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â