Media and punditry

Jarpie

Is there like a market anywhere for pundits and co commentators who were not previously footballers? Like are there any on tv? Somebody ridiculously clued up on football who is intelligent, insightful and articulate. There must be plenty of those people around. Instead we get Carragher.

It's like steven Gerrard and frank Lampard deciding/needing to be football managers because they used to play football.

Villa game on 2nd from last yet again on MoTD, which I guess we can take. But all they spoke about for about 60 seconds after the game was the missed open goal by Brentford, nothing about match, tactics,  where this leaves us in the table, nothing. Disgusting really when they wouldn't shut up if it was 1 of the big 4.

6 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Gary Birtles. one of the worst displays of co-commentary I've heard in a long while

Truly terrible. It's like they found some old angry pub patron at the last minute to fill in for the real commentator.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Gary Birtles. one of the worst displays of co-commentary I've heard in a long while

The other guy was just as bad...really condescending towards Villa.

Case in point, an older woman had a banner with a European Cup message for the players and he remarked she would have been much younger when Villa were last in Europe. It was out of order to be honest, disrespectful to her and Villa. 

Always disliked the other guy aswell, seems like a smarmy b******

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Apparently the whole of Europe is amazed by Man City treble bid as if first team to ever do it 😂

Saw that headline but not a chance am I clicking on it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Villa game on 2nd from last yet again on MoTD, which I guess we can take. But all they spoke about for about 60 seconds after the game was the missed open goal by Brentford, nothing about match, tactics,  where this leaves us in the table, nothing. Disgusting really when they wouldn't shut up if it was 1 of the big 4.

You've just described MOTD for the last 30 years

Even if they spent 5 minutes talking about the game they wouldn't tell you anything

Not a clue why people still watch it, same with sky pre game and half time, you can't really moan, it's as its always been, just don't watch it

• Like 2

I don't get people moaning about match of the day. I could understand it when it was the only game in town, but you can see more extensive highlights hours earlier on YouTube without any of the bollocks.

The only reason to tune in to motd these days is habit, or an appreciation of the most vanilla of bants between Gaz and Al.

• Like 1

The tactics talk is bollocks too. Arrow pointing, "he should have run in the space, an passed the ball through". No, cause if he moved there the space would have been closed down and the ball blocked. It's literally bollocks. 

On 21/04/2023 at 22:21, turvontour said:

Is there like a market anywhere for pundits and co commentators who were not previously footballers? Like are there any on tv? Somebody ridiculously clued up on football who is intelligent, insightful and articulate. There must be plenty of those people around. Instead we get Carragher.

It's like steven Gerrard and frank Lampard deciding/needing to be football managers because they used to play football.

When I had BT Sport they used to gave a programme during the Champions League matches where they had James Richardson with journos from around Europe and cut to the goals at each game as they went in.  I don't know if they still do it but it was a lot better than the usual formats.

12 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The other guy was just as bad...really condescending towards Villa.

Case in point, an older woman had a banner with a European Cup message for the players and he remarked she would have been much younger when Villa were last in Europe. It was out of order to be honest, disrespectful to her and Villa. 

Always disliked the other guy aswell, seems like a smarmy b******

I heard that and was fuming

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

The tactics talk is bollocks too. Arrow pointing, "he should have run in the space, an passed the ball through". No, cause if he moved there the space would have been closed down and the ball blocked. It's literally bollocks. 

The best or worse one was when they all pretended to 'remember' the rule when Mings was tackled from behind against Man City in lockdown (the game Deano suggested the referee may have had some new juggling balls for Christmas) more credibility in the glove argument in the OJ trial 

• Like 1

MoTD has been bollocks for as long as I can remember. When was the last time you actually learned something, or heard something genuinely insightful watching it? The "analysis" yesterday on the Villa game was utterly woeful. As mentioned further up the thread, just a couple of minutes talking about the open goal miss, not a mention of Villa at all. 

On 22/04/2023 at 23:32, foreveryoung said:

15 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

MoTD has been bollocks for as long as I can remember. When was the last time you actually learned something, or heard something genuinely insightful watching it? The "analysis" yesterday on the Villa game was utterly woeful. As mentioned further up the thread, just a couple of minutes talking about the open goal miss, not a mention of Villa at all. 

It's a program that briefly looks at the games played.  You guys are expecting way too much (I guess it's club bias).

When we beat Newcastle, the entire analysis was about how good Villa were, how good Ollie Watkins was and how the attacking midfield trio made everything click.  Was it a problem then too?

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's a program that briefly looks at the games played.  You guys are expecting way too much (I guess it's club bias).

When we beat Newcastle, the entire analysis was about how good Villa were, how good Ollie Watkins was and how the attacking midfield trio made everything click.  Was it a problem then too?

I was going to mention in my post about the Newcastle game. Not an issue for a Villa fans, but if I was a Newcastle fan (🤢), I think I'd have thought they'd be worth a mention (although, granted, I can't imagine many of them watched it after the tanking that we gave them).

I'm not expecting an hour of in depth, expert level analysis, but I do think that they can serve up better than what they do now.

On 23/04/2023 at 12:27, sharkyvilla said:

When I had BT Sport they used to gave a programme during the Champions League matches where they had James Richardson with journos from around Europe and cut to the goals at each game as they went in.  I don't know if they still do it but it was a lot better than the usual formats.

Yes they still do. Richardson still does his puns, just not with a coffee and a gelato.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

It was a problem this week when they were raving how good Newcastle are, never mention the Villa walking over them the previous week.

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â