Ashley Westwood

Nabby

He's a very good footballer but lacks many physical attributes. Comfortably a PL player.

does that not contradict itself? Unless you are a top class player you need physical attributes for Premier League. You can get away with it if you are Sergio Aguero or David Silva but not if your Borja Valero for example

He's a very good footballer but lacks many physical attributes. Comfortably a PL player.

does that not contradict itself? Unless you are a top class player you need physical attributes for Premier League. You can get away with it if you are Sergio Aguero or David Silva but not if your Borja Valero for example

It doesn't contradict because it's your opinion that you can get away with it. If he was more physical, bigger, stronger pacier, a better tackler then he has the potential to be a top player as the footballing element is there.

Unfortunately he lacks many of these so he will continue to be a solid PL player.

Leon Britton strikes me as one as well.

Cabaye, Anita, McCarthy (never strikes me as tall). I'm on my phone atm but will take another look when I get home.

Small technical players make it in the prem. it's not fair to use one example (Valero) as an argument that they don't.

Can you tell me another player of his attributes in the top flight?

The exact same? No.

I can give you some similar players.

Tom Cleverley

Joe Allen

Vurnon Anita

Leon Britton

James McArthur

Liam Bridcutt

Westwood is a technically sound Premier League player. He's not Yaya Toure.

If anyone thinks he's useless and doesn't belong at Villa in our current state. You do not understand how football works; how it's played, how matches or squads work.

I'd query if those questioning him have ever played football at any level, because if you can't appreciate what he does you just don't get it.

• Like 3

He's a great squad player for us to have. We're not in a position to have fantastic players on the bench. For the price we paid for him, the wages he's on, and his own ability I wouldn't want him anywhere else other than Villa Park. 

As I said yesterday, I think he should drop to the bench and shouldn't be in the starting eleven. However, last season he was the first name on the teamsheet for me. 

He has had his limitations.....but i think he may be one that TS may get some more out of.

He has one thing going for him under the new regime....he ain't frightened to work.

If anyone thinks he's useless and doesn't belong at Villa in our current state. You do not understand how football works; how it's played, how matches or squads work.

I'd query if those questioning him have ever played football at any level, because if you can't appreciate what he does you just don't get it.

Ah, yes. You have to have played football to 'get' football. That old chestnut.

• Like 1

Ah, yes. You have to have played football to 'get' football. That old chestnut.

I wouldn't say that, but it does give a slightly better understanding of how a team works together and how certain players effect games.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that, but it does give a slightly better understanding of how a team works together and how certain players effect games.

Very true but it is not a proviso. You only have to look at the 'insight' offered by some the pundits that hog our screens. On the other hand, some of the highest standard analyses I've read have been from journalists/bloggers.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Very true but it is not a proviso. You only have to look at the 'insight' offered by some the pundits that hog our screens. On the other hand, some of the highest standard analyses I've read have been from journalists/bloggers.
Thinking Westwood is not very good definitely is not a sign of a lack of deeper football knowledge, that's for sure. Edited by AVTuco

I take it all back tim! Finally someone who knows a league 1 player when he sees one!love the comment about having no football knowledge if you don't rate westy!.

And how any player who hides and has no impact on a game at all can be described as class I have no idea.the man sums up villa over the last 3 years and it would be a dream come true if he never played for villa afain. Go on Tim!