Ashley Westwood

Nabby

My biggest issue with Westwood is his tempo. He always seems to need to trap the ball to play even the simplest of passes. It is a key factor in why our build up play is so slow in my opinion.

Would love to here someone get in his ear and ask him to look for a first time ball a bit more often, that and get a bit nastier/aggressive in his tackling/pressing.

I thought he did the second bit very well in the second half against Leicester and was one of the reason why we were generally a lot more on the front foot.

Not sure if serious. Westwood has easily the best first touch in the team and uses of to start many of our attacks. Just watch the most recent MOTD for examples. Forget about normal passes, he often does first time through balls (one to Cleverley recently comes to mind). Probably our only midfielder capable of this yet oddly the only one criticized for things like this. Of all our midfielder he should be the last one criticized for his passing.

• Like 2

I've seen Westwood be a major factor in us ripping teams apart

When did we rip teams apart?Did i miss that period of Lambert's time here?
Haha you taking the piss or what at this stage? You honestly think we never ripped teams apart under Lambert or are you just looking for an argument again?
Think you might need to be specific as I also can only recall the Sunderland game as having 'ripped' someone apart.
Norwich a couple of times, Hull last year, wba last year, Sunderland. We have had plenty of great play on other occasions which we didn't capitalise on. Obviously it's hard to remember any of the good times after a season such as this one.

What's with the westy in inverted commas?

Some people seem to have some weird problem with Westwood being nicknamed "Westy"

Despite about 90% of all footballers having some sort of nickname.

WEZZA

Haha you taking the piss or what at this stage? You honestly think we never ripped teams apart under Lambert or are you just looking for an argument again?
Think you might need to be specific as I also can only recall the Sunderland game as having 'ripped' someone apart.
Norwich a couple of times, Hull last year, wba last year, Sunderland. We have had plenty of great play on other occasions which we didn't capitalise on. Obviously it's hard to remember any of the good times after a season such as this one.

Ok, to me they are more examples of when we have played well to a level I would expect rather than ripping a team apart (although the Norwich cup game is a good example I had forgot).

Westwood is a good, tidy player, but I do think he will need to improve or will need replacing if we want to go midtable and higher.

Ok, to me they are more examples of when we have played well to a level I would expect rather than ripping a team apart (although the Norwich cup game is a good example I had forgot).

Westwood is a good, tidy player, but I do think he will need to improve or will need replacing if we want to go midtable and higher.

Yeah he certainly needs to up his game but I'm confident he will benefit from having better attackers who offer more movement ahead of him.

Apart from Sunderland, a couple of 3-1's and a couple of 4-1's. At a stretch you might call that ripping teams apart. And that does not prove that Westwood was a major factor, anyway. I certainly can never remember him controlling or being a major factor in a game, and that is his problem.

Apart from Sunderland, a couple of 3-1's and a couple of 4-1's. At a stretch you might call that ripping teams apart. And that does not prove that Westwood was a major factor, anyway. I certainly can never remember him controlling or being a major factor in a game, and that is his problem.

More so your opinion than his problem but whatever...

Id never suggest he ripped anyone or anything apart but I remember some really tasty through balls from him away to Everton, I think we ended up scoring from one. he is a good passer of the ball and he spots runs. Im hoping Sherwood makes them make more runs around him and II think we'll see him shine. He could really do with clearing the first defender if he takes any more corners though.

i think he is at risk to be honest, so needs to step up

He needs to be sold in the summer. He misplaced so many passes on Sunday it was unreal. Can't see him ever getting any better and he's the type of player that has plunged Villa into decline over the last 4 years. We've signed too many players who just aren't Premier League quality.

Why wouldn't he start? What other midfielders do we have that have been out performing him? He hasn't been great this season but he is the only midfielder we have that seems capable of opening things up and he has looked the most likely to score despite being the one sitting furthest back. Also, second half vs Leicester he looked back to himself and was running the show, most likely because he had options and ppl creating space and making runs.

Edited by Bunnski

Why wouldn't he start? What other midfielders do we have that have been out performing him? He hasn't been great this season but he is the only midfielder we have that seems capable of opening things up and he has looked the most likely to score despite being the one sitting furthest back. Also, second half vs Leicester he looked back to himself and was running the show, most likely because he had options and ppl creating space and making runs.

I want him replaced in the summer because in my opinion he just isn't Premier League quality. You say he was running the show on Sunday. I couldn't believe how many passes of his that went astray. He's a liability.

Roll on the summer so we can finally be rid of Lambert's rubbish.

Sell him and replace him with whom? Nonsense.

Probably shouldn't be starting at the moment but easily good enough to be in the squad.

Replace him with a better player. It isn't rocket science.

Ah okay. Football is so simple.

If we were to sell him, it would be to a PL team. Maybe not a consistent PL starter but definitely a PL player.

I want him replaced in the summer because in my opinion he just isn't Premier League quality. You say he was running the show on Sunday. I couldn't believe how many passes of his that went astray. He's a liability.

Roll on the summer so we can finally be rid of Lambert's rubbish.

First half he was bad like every other outfield player, second half he was class. you say he isn't premier league quality well then why did 3 premier league teams enquire about him in January? All 3 of which are alot higher than us and Southampton especially who are challenging top 4!

i think he is a good footballer but he doesnt have the speed, physicality or dynamism to make an impact on Premier League games. If he played in Spain or Portugal he would be a very good asset in the top flight when he would get so much time on the ball