Ashley Westwood

Nabby

If we ever start climbing the table and aiming for more than just survival i'd seriously worry about him getting in the team though.

Westwood shouldn't be in our strongest XI now IMO.

Not to say he should never start, he's a different option, but I wouldn't have him in my first XI

But daz's conspiracy theory that Sanchez will never play because of Westwood is obviously false. And if daz is so worried about giving the ball away then he should love Westwood as he's consistently one of our best players at retaining possession.

I don't worry about Sanchez not getting into the team, I worry he will be pushed either right of left to accommodate Westwood playing in the middle, which is what happens. When we signed Sanchez we all thought we'd signed a great holding defensive midfielder in the makalale mould, which is what we have. While Westwood was injured Sanchez played that role, dominated the opposition and gave the ball away very little. Since westy has been back Sanchez has plated right or left and gets lost giving the ball away the same amount as our westy who Is playing in his supposed strong position.

Watch the next game Westwood is often just In front of our defense when long balls are played out and will miss a header or head it straight to the opposition. He won't win a tackle and is poor at pressing. He'll also struggle to find one if our players when put under pressure and will give the ball away. In fact the only reason he seems so good to some of you is that he receives the ball in space alot as he stays back and there's no pressure on him, instead then if bringing it forward or looking for a through ball he'll simply keep it 'ticking over' by playing it to hutton or cissockho, watch the next game and tell me that's not a perfect review of his game. For some reason some if you applaud that type of performance. There was a perfect example yesterday where Westwood received it in space and was ambling sideways as usual with the ball and gil just ran up took it off him carried it forward and then pushed out to Westwood in space in the wing putting us on the front foot, I'll take that over the ball going out to the full back any day. And for anyone who tells me Westwood can pick a pass etc, why have we created so little recently? If it's because there's no forward movement then what passes exactly has Westwood been picking?as far as I see it he's a league one player stealing a living in the centre of the field for what should be one of the biggest teams in the league.

I know you think I'm on a wind up but this guy is distinctly average and the fact that others are displaced to a accommodate him is ridiculous and taking us down

It's not true though Daz.

Since Westwood has been back, Sanchez has only been moved once, against blackpool, and I assume that was because it was Westwood's first game back from injury.

Since then the only time it has happened was yesterday, and that's because Sanchez was dropped after his terrible performance against Arsenal.

Your crazy conspiracy that people are being moved around to accommodate Westwood is a figment of your imagination.

• Like 2

Anyone who thinks Ashley Westwood is a good player has a fundamental misunderstanding of football. Twice yesterday he gave the ball away I'm deep lying positions, which, as the holding midfielder that Sanchez should be is unforgiveable. The fact the he is able to go from game to game without having made any important contribution of any sort says it all. It's no coincidence that a team built around a central midfielder whose only decent trait is being able to pass to a full back accurately has been battling relegation for three years straight. Shambles that Sanchez is kept out the team for this league 1 footballer

Lol, did you see Sanchez last performance?

Yes, ignore the good performances, just concentrate on that one.

Ironically thats exactly what you have done with Westwood if you want to use that argument.

Anyone who thinks Ashley Westwood is a good player has a fundamental misunderstanding of football.

If anyone thinks he's rubbish, there is just no hope for them ever understanding football  :thumb:

No hope for you Daz :(

If we ever start climbing the table and aiming for more than just survival i'd seriously worry about him getting in the team though.

Not to say he should never start, he's a different option, but I wouldn't have him in my first XI

But daz's conspiracy theory that Sanchez will never play because of Westwood is obviously false. And if daz is so worried about giving the ball away then he should love Westwood as he's consistently one of our best players at retaining possession.

but IMO he is more of a pick pocket than and out & out ball winner.....at certain times lightweight for me to get too excited.

Sanchez for me has more physical presence, sure he lost his way against Arsenal, but I have seen him have some fine games, where he has dominated and been a thorn in oppositions attacks....I see Westwood a bit ....yeah lightweight.

• Like 1

but IMO he is more of a pick pocket than and out & out ball winner.....at certain times lightweight for me to get too excited.

Yep. I think Sanchez is the better player.

I'm just debunking daz's crazy conspiracy.

To me Sánchez and Westwood are two different players and both if playing as good as they can, should be in our starting eleven along side Delph in a three man midfield.

Not enough goals from midfield with those 3 players so I disagree.

I think that's OK away from home, at home when we need to break teams down I'd put Gil in ahead of one of Westwood/Sanchez and then play 2 of Sinclair/Gabby/Weimann supporting Benteke. 

To me Sánchez and Westwood are two different players and both if playing as good as they can, should be in our starting eleven along side Delph in a three man midfield.

Not enough goals from midfield with those 3 players so I disagree.

We could do with more goals from them but there's no one else in the squad who we could use instead to help with that. I'd only use Gil as part of a four man midfield otherwise play him further forward.

Anyone who thinks Ashley Westwood is a good player has a fundamental misunderstanding of football.

If anyone thinks he's rubbish, there is just no hope for them ever understanding football  :thumb:

No hope for you Daz :(

He's not rubbish, he's not great either. He's an OK player at this stage in his career.

Yeah no you guys Westwood is definitely worthy of his starting place. The way he controls the middle of the park creating chances, conducting the play, sweeping up opposition attacks. How silly of me to tell you all that his return would be bad news for the player who had just had 2 man of the match performances, why would you want to carry on like that when you have super westy to come back and take his rightful place. And those set prices? Forget about it. Sanchez you superb tackling,header winning ready of the game and simple passing are not required any longer, we have super westy