Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Why don't we have one thread called everything is great. We can all post the same message of 'everything is great' and then everyone can be happy because everything is great and we all agree.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Everything is great.

Everything is fan-bloody-tastic.

Why don't we have one thread called everything is great. We can all post the same message of 'everything is great' and then everyone can be happy because everything is great and we all agree.

Everything is great.

Exactly - its impossible to have a different opinion. Especially if its an opinion that is not 100% pro Villa. Otherwise your clearly a bluenose.

Yes we have clearly got a great manager, great players, great fans, a great youth system - even a great groundsman. Thats why we have been near the bottom for the past 3 years and haven't won anything for 2 decades.

Lets get back on topic.. He's had a good season and hopefully can improve on it next year.

Don't think we have really gone off topic. Thank you for the spelling correction. You will have to forgive the Donny lingo. YOU'RE lucky I don't put 'ya'.

I think he had a poor season overall but improved towards the end with the team. Hopefully he can improve next year.

• Like 1

Everything is great.

Exactly - its impossible to have a different opinion. Especially if its an opinion that is not 100% pro Villa. Otherwise your clearly a bluenose.

Yes we have clearly got a great manager, great players, great fans, a great youth system - even a great groundsman. Thats why we have been near the bottom for the past 3 years and haven't won anything for 2 decades.

:crylaugh:  :clap:

You say you're not negative at all and you have a totally balanced opinion?  It's not about not being allowed an opinion, but when your opinion is constantly slanting the Villa (which yours seems to be) then people get rightfully angry.

Great fans? Well yes, since March we've really come up trumps. Away allocations sold out everywhere and home fans rabid getting behind the team. There have been times when our fans have been poor but we're over the hill I think.

Great youth system? Well, yes. We won the U19 CL this year. And we've been ranked no.1 in the country. Not sure on any figures, but our academy has produced numerous current and past PL players and players that are plying their trade all over the league system.

Great groundsman? Well, yes. Look at the VP pitch.

Great manager and players? That needs to be proven but I've seen enough over last season to see that they could be great. It's early days, but there are some great players in the squad and there are players that could improve.

Not sure why you're saying 'great fans, great youth system, great groundsman' is order to have a dig. Surely if you're trying to prove to people you're a well-balanced poster then taking an unnecessary dig at factors that are extremely positive in the club isn't the way to go?

(oh and yes i've seen your negative post regarding Westwood as the thread is about him. A typical example would be, 'yes he played well but he's been poor all season'. That isn't a positive post. That's giving credit underlined with a negative tone)

^ And clearly our manager (who knows an immeasurable amount more about football than me or you) disagrees with you.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3181442,00.html

EDITEDIT: And credit to you. You've got a talent for drawing me back into this nonsense.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Everything is great.

:crylaugh:  :clap:

You say you're not negative at all and you have a totally balanced opinion?  It's not about not being allowed an opinion, but when your opinion is constantly slanting the Villa (which yours seems to be) then people get rightfully angry.

Great fans? Well yes, since March we've really come up trumps. Away allocations sold out everywhere and home fans rabid getting behind the team. There have been times when our fans have been poor but we're over the hill I think.

Great youth system? Well, yes. We won the U19 CL this year. And we've been ranked no.1 in the country. Not sure on any figures, but our academy has produced numerous current and past PL players and players that are plying their trade all over the league system.

Great groundsman? Well, yes. Look at the VP pitch.

Great manager and players? That needs to be proven but I've seen enough over last season to see that they could be great. It's early days, but there are some great players in the squad and there are players that could improve.

Not sure why you're saying 'great fans, great youth system, great groundsman' is order to have a dig. Surely if you're trying to prove to people you're a well-balanced poster then taking an unnecessary dig at factors that are extremely positive in the club isn't the way to go?

(oh and yes i've seen your negative post regarding Westwood as the thread is about him. A typical example would be, 'yes he played well but he's been poor all season'. That isn't a positive post. That's giving credit underlined with a negative tone)

^ And clearly our manager (who knows an immeasurable amount more about football than me or you) disagrees with you.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3181442,00.html

What on earth are you talking about?

I was given examples of topics that your can't have a different opinion on without somebody jumping on your back.

For example, People were ridiculed for taking the next gen series thread past posts that said 'congratulations'.

Stefan, Im not dragging you into any nonsense. You keep creating it.

All this is from you saying I bashed Westwood all season. I said this was not true and all you have done is try to prove otherwise, disregarding the posts where I have said he played well. 

It would also be interesting to see when I began my criticism of Westwood. Id be amazed if it was before December, maybe even Xmas. Hardly bashing him all season. I would say it came about after a few months of not really noticing him.

As for Lambert disagreeing with me - fair enough! I hope he knows more than me. he gets paid a damn lot of money to know more than me. I think we all know that Paul Lambert isnt always right though and I would be amazed if you have gone the whole season without jumping on his back for mistakes like you criticise me for doing with Westwood.

• Like 2

but when your opinion is constantly slanting the Villa (which yours seems to be) then people get rightfully angry.

Strange how when people were constantly slating the villa, the manager and some of the players under Mcleish no one was getting as angry as you and no one was saying that it was right to get that angry.

So it seems the anger isn't because someone is negative its because that negativity is different to your opinion.

Bit  of a difference between not being 100% pro villa and seemingly being 100% anti everything at the club. You say NOTHING positive unless it's incredibly begrudgingly. 

• Like 1

It annoys me when people say "so and so is more talented than such and such" and then fail to define what they mean by "talent". It's a nonsense throw away statement. 

Bannan has better crossing, dribbling, more ball skill and greater passing range. Westwood has more character and is the better professional. Westwood will need to work hard to be great at certain skills, whereas Bannan's had them since he was very young. Ireland's another example of natural talent without character. Bannan's got more character than Ireland though so I fully expect him to fix what is keeping him from being a first teamer.

Point is, you don't have to have the most talent to be world class - Frank Lampard is an example of that. Lampard is not a great passer, dribbler, not got a great shot or tackle. His only talent is being clever, which helps with his positioning but would not be enough if he didn't also have the character to work hard on his game. While not world class at each individual skill, Lampard's now remarkably and unusually well-rounded as a player. 

Westwood isn't Frank Lampard but great positioning and passing can go a long way and in addition to his strong character under-pressure could potentially make him world class. Only just Premier League class at this stage, though.

Woody and Stef, can I politely draw your atention to the Posting Guidelines, which state

Agree to Disagree
Discussions can lead to disagreements. However, it gets boring if the argument spans over several pages and repeats over the same points.
Thank you

And Morpheus, regardless of who would pay that for him, it's the minimum I'd expect for him as QWPZ said. Allen went for 15m after having an extremely similar season.

I would argue that Allen had an outstanding season and you would also have to consider the existing connection to Brendan Rodgers which also drove the asking price up.

So, what you would expect and what other clubs might deem reasonable for Westwood might be two different things? However, would be interesting to see what the club would value him at if someone came sniffing around?

Whatever the value, i do think Westwood has been an excellent acquisition and he will only get better. 

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 2

Lets get back on topic.. He's had a good season and hopefully can improve on it next year.

Don't think we have really gone off topic. Thank you for the spelling correction. You will have to forgive the Donny lingo. YOU'RE lucky I don't put 'ya'.

I think he had a poor season overall but improved towards the end with the team. Hopefully he can improve next year.

For a guy that stepped up from Crewe in Division 1 to the Premier League, I think he did well most of the season and got better as it went on. To say he had a "poor season overall" IMO is very negative.

• Like 2

Bit  of a difference between not being 100% pro villa and seemingly being 100% anti everything at the club. You say NOTHING positive unless it's incredibly begrudgingly. 

Just a ridiculous and untrue statement.

For example in this thread - Westwoods pass to gabby at Norwich was outstanding (or something along them lines). No in fact your right. Im really pissed off that he played a delightful ball and we scored to win a very very important game, because now I have to go onto villatalk and praise him.

I really really want these piss poor seasons at Villa to continue.

People are entitled to their opinions. If you think my opinions are negative thats fair enough. I actually think my opinions are realistic. Im hopeful for next season, Im more hopeful about Westwood than I was 3 months ago. Baring in mind we finished the season with 41 points (a lot of which were accumulated in the last 1/3 of the season) - I think thats quite a positive view tbh.

So that Westwood - what a player, eh?

I reckon we have a gem on our hands and I think a midfield that has Gardener barking for a place will bring the best out of our incumbents (Westwood, Sylla, Delph).

He's not been good enough for someone to bid £8 million for him, but he's been decent and showed improvement with the inclusion of Sylla next to him and Delph. 

He's an enjoyable footballer to watch though, very thoughtful, can turn very quickly, keeps his head up and is accurate with his passing. He dictates the tempo of the game (when at his best) and always passes the ball forward whenever he can. 

I can perfectly understand if people question his ability though because he isn't a standout player, but one that helps us tick over nicely and works very hard for the team.