Ashley Westwood

Nabby

4 assists in a week in the premiership, yeah average player.

I count 3!

So are you basing Ashley Westwood on just 1 week? A week where we won 2 out of 2. What about the many weeks when he went ages without an assist? Oh yeah, I forgot that when that was pointed out as criticism - we were told he isnt there to create. He keeps it simple and allows us to tick over is what was said!

Now, I have been largely critical over Westwood. And tbf to the lad - hes been much improved recently. But Id hardly say its time to completely wipe out the dross that came before it - of which there was plenty. 

A player who is improving. That is a positive. Lets not get carried away.

You're the only person with this viewpoint. He's been class all season.

EDIT: And by that, I mean that he's never been 'dross'

Edited by StefanAVFC

League 2 to prem

Even with the few poor games, he's been very good in others and brilliant in some too.

He stepped up three leagues.

Wow. Just wow.

4 assists in a week in the premiership, yeah average player.

I count 3!

So are you basing Ashley Westwood on just 1 week? A week where we won 2 out of 2. What about the many weeks when he went ages without an assist? Oh yeah, I forgot that when that was pointed out as criticism - we were told he isnt there to create. He keeps it simple and allows us to tick over is what was said!

Now, I have been largely critical over Westwood. And tbf to the lad - hes been much improved recently. But Id hardly say its time to completely wipe out the dross that came before it - of which there was plenty.

A player who is improving. That is a positive. Lets not get carried away.

You're the only person with this viewpoint. He's been class all season.

EDIT: And by that, I mean that he's never been 'dross'

Absolutely. The only person I now, neutrals included, who think Westwood has been "dross" until recently. He was possibly our best player pre Chelsea and one of the most consistent over our recent revival, including some fantastic performances such as QPR (94/96 passes was it?) and yesterday, game winning performances. The type you've been saying he isn't capable of.

It matters not to me where he's come from and what he cost, though that in itself is the stuff of dreams. Something every club (and player) aspires to. I'm mostly just delighted to finally have another player we can rely on enough to build a midfield around.

I thought that pass to Gabby's second was a lucky, aimless hoof. :) Really good pass and well spotted. And a good run from Gabby to stay onside untill the pass came.

• Like 1

I thought that pass to Gabby's second was a lucky, aimless hoof. :) Really good pass and well spotted. And a good run from Gabby to stay onside untill the pass came.

Both players made the assist and goal look so simple. Whilst I know it wasn't, it doesn't stop me thinking - why don't we just do that half a dozen times every match!

Westwood compares his style to Michael Carrick, so I thought it would be interesting to compare the statistics of the two players.

Westwood vs Carrick

Appearances: 28 / 34

Pass accuracy: 86% / 88%

% passes forward: 65% / 75% 

Chances created: 32 / 35

Defensive errors: 0 / 4

Tackle success: 83% / 71%

Headed duel: 52% / 45%

http://www.squawka.com/players/ashley-westwood

http://www.squawka.com/players/michael-carrick

Up to 6 assists for the season now.

Two corners.

One cross from the right.

One through-ball.

Two short passes to someone who scored from long range.

I still maintain that the non-assist long pass against Liverpool that Agbonlahor knocked down for Benteke was a hoof.

I still maintain that the non-assist long pass against Liverpool that Agbonlahor knocked down for Benteke was a hoof.

This is just dumb. If you think he knocked it up to Gabby with the intention of Gabby knocking it down to Benteke and then Benteke shooting first time then he didn't. 

What he did intend to happen was to play a ball forward and one of our strikers getting on the end of it. A "hoof" to me implies when a player just wacks it up the pitch James Collins style to clear the ball. Westwood did not do that. It was a ball intended to go to one of our players, that is not a "hoof". 

Edited by PieFacE

An elegant looking hoof is still a hoof. There are three types of hoof and this was a type 3 hoof.

I explained before -

Hoof doesn't imply aimlessness it implies limited technique (not applicable in this case), an unspecified target (probably not applicable in this case) or an agricultural attacking pass, which is what hoofing it up to the big striker to knock down is.

So you're pretty much saying any long ball from midfield to attack is a "hoof"? 

No. 

Types of hoof

1. Long high ball executed with limited technique 

2. Long high ball to unspecified target

3. Long high ball to target man to knock down.

I think Westwood was aiming for Benteke to flick on and got Agbonlahor because he over-hit it. 

A long high pass can be to feet. When it is specifically intended for a target man to knock down it's a hoof.

So you're pretty much saying any long ball from midfield to attack is a "hoof"? 

No. 

Types of hoof

1. Long high ball executed with limited technique 

2. Long high ball to unspecified target

3. Long high ball to target man to knock down.

I think Westwood was aiming for Benteke to flick on and got Agbonlahor because he over-hit it. 

A long high pass can be to feet. When it is specifically intended for a target man to knock down it's a hoof.

I've seen some ridiculous posts on here, but this tops it. Well done.