Ashley Westwood

Nabby

26 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Only Ayew made more tackles. 

That doesn't mean that he didn't bottle challenges. 

Making a tackle doesn't always mean it was an important 50/50. His position on the pitch is always going to give him the opportunity to make tackles. But watching him you can see he backs out of them at times. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That doesn't mean that he didn't bottle challenges. 

Making a tackle doesn't always mean it was an important 50/50. His position on the pitch is always going to give him the opportunity to make tackles. But watching him you can see he backs out of them at times. 

Which important 50/50 did he bottle? I can only remember one against Shelvey, which he won and was then caught late on?

I think he's done at Villa anyway to be fair. First home game I've been to in a long time and he just got abuse from the first misplaced pass he did to the moment he was subbed (which was applauded). I've never known anyone to be singled out as much. 

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

Which important 50/50 did he bottle? I can only remember one against Shelvey, which he won and was then caught late on?

I think he's done at Villa anyway to be fair. First home game I've been to in a long time and he just got abuse from the first misplaced pass he did to the moment he was subbed (which was applauded). I've never known anyone to be singled out as much. 

4 years of being shit will do that to a player. I can completely understand why regular paying fans are sick of seeing him. 

He should have been done here a long time ago. We've just failed to improve on such a mediocre player. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

Noticed some quality pointing today. Some of it was in the direction where he could have moved to in order to receive the ball if he hadn't have been walking slowly whilst pointing. 

Had a few likes for this but genuinely I think this is one of his big problems.  The incident was when someone was moving out from the back with the ball, under not much pressure. . There was acres of empty space to Westwoods right but he just pointed to someone right out wide who would have been closed down immediately leading to either pressure on the man or more probably an immediate lay back to the defence. 

All I was thinking was why didn't he just to a little jink into all that space and look to receive the ball himself. 

I drives me nuts.  All our midfielders are guilty of it,  not seeking to move into space,  too static but he is unquestionably the worst culprit. 

Pointing at someone is running away from your own responsibility and delegating it to someone else. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Has to be the luckiest person alive. I genuinely don't know how he does it. 

To be charitable. At his best he is a busy little player who keeps things ticking over in a relatively unspectacular way. The problem of course is that at his best this isn't enough to genuinely boss games and dictate the tempo. Moreover, we rarely see him at his 'best', what we typically see is a highly ineffective and largely anonymous player.

Early in his career here he looked good value for money and put in some decent displays. However he clearly hasn't pushed on and improved at all as a footballer, in fact, you could argue that he has regressed, becoming even less effective over time, which is made even worse by the fact that he is looking so poor despite the massive drop in level, from Premier League to Championship. 

The bottom line is that he is an ever present player who simply does not deliver enough, he has completely outstayed his welcome and needs to be dropped from the first team. At most he should be a squad player, but I tend to think that it would be better for both parties if we simply let him go in the winter and sign a replacement.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

absolute woeful, Jedinak was shit but I would rather see him play with Tshibola or even Gardner ...

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Was appalling first half. Second half improved a bit. He moved further forward and was pressing higher up the pitch which brought the rest of the team forward.

I think first half, the midfield was over-run by Newcastle because the 5 at the back left us outnumbered in the centre - which is why Jedinak and Westwood looked so poor. Second half, when Tish came on the extra man made all the difference. I thought Westwood was effective second half. Not spectacular, but decent.

I suspect a lot of people's views on him depend on what you want from a midfield. The first half the whole team were poor - giving the ball away, running into oblind alleys, dwelling on the ball and being closed down or tackled. Second half we did that to Newcastle and we made far fewer individual errors. So IMO the formation was wrong first half, and the players looked ill at ease with it and played badly. Second half it was a better formation, we went onto the front foot more, because we had to, and then Westwood looked tidy, recylcing the ball and passing well.

He's not a good header of the ball, nor is he a good tackler. Nor is he a box to box player. So there's a lot for fans or managers to dislike, if they have a particular outlook. Some managers (and fans) want those things in all their midfielders, and others like a player who just keeps things ticking over, is a decent passer, makes interceptions and moves the ball on.

Ocaasionally you get players who can do everything, but not so much in the EFL.

• Like 1

Is he actually a midfielder?

The number of thing he can't do or be expected to do is pretty much all the things you expect a midfielder to be able to do.

If he want's to play in the "not visible" midfield role :D he should take a look at the way Ander Herrera played for Man U against Leicester this weekend.

Now we don't have the players to support this role, but on the bright side his room for improvement is enormous.

He drifts around in poor positions, most of the time on the other side of an opposition player to whomever has the ball so he won't have the ball passed to him. He's not hard working, or any of that nonsense. He's a shyster and a fraud of a player.

But he makes three or four forward passes a game and that's enough to please some people. It's not surprising we're in the Championship if that's the acceptable standard.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Noticed some quality pointing today. Some of it was in the direction where he could have moved to in order to receive the ball if he hadn't have been walking slowly whilst pointing. 

I'm not necessarily in the same camp as you regarding Ash, but have a like for a well written post with humour. Very efficient too.

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He was better than Jedinak yesterday I thought. The two together is not going to work- maybe in a 3 with Tish or 1 of them will have to be dropped.

Being better than Jedinak yesterday is damning with faint praise, I'm also not sure it's true. He screwed up less, partly because I don't think he touched the ball in the first half at all. At least with Jedinak I have seen plenty of past evidence to give me hope he will turn out to be a good player for us. 

Westwood, I've seen enough of and it's not enough to say that we should be trying different formations to accommodate him. 

Obviously, if we go with 3 in the middle he's the third. Though maybe Gardner deserves a shot as part of a 3?