Ashley Westwood

Nabby

A lack of assists/goals means nothing ffs

But that's what rbear post said. He doesn't score or assist.

Then Stefan said that article proved it all wrong .

Okay now you're just arguing semantics, but the article didn't need to prove that part wrong. It is factually correct that he doesn't score or assist, there is no arguing it (and Stefan certainly isn't). However it's incorrect to use it as a criticism of Westwood's game.
I haven't used it as a criticism of his game.

Rbear said as part of a post that he doesn't assist nor score.

Stefan said that the article proved the whole of rbears post wrong. I argued that it didn't show him assisting or scoring so it hadn't proved that part of the post wrong. Hence it hadn't proved all of his post wrong. That's it.

About 3/4 hours ago, your argument was that I was taking posts too literally.

This is quite amusing after you've said that.

So are you now suggesting what you originally said regarding rbears post was a bit of a wild statement.

No.

Rbear posted nonsense such as 'ineffective and anonymous'.

The article proved his original post wrong.

You're continuing to argue over semantics to make a villa player look bad.

Quite amusing.

No.

Rbear posted nonsense such as 'ineffective and anonymous'.

The article proved his original post wrong.

You're continuing to argue over semantics to make a villa player look bad.

Quite amusing.

Same player I've just repeatedly said I think he's been one of our best players so far.

You continue to persist in making out I have some hatred towards westwood.

Quite amusing.

For somebody who doesn't have some weird thing against him, you don't half spend a lot of time in this thread arguing against the evidence that he is a good player.

For someone who doesn't go out of their way to make out I'm negative towards him, you don't half miss out acknowledging the positives I say about him.

i am AMAZED that people who are bashing westwood for all this "not doing enough" is not bashing gana aswell lol.

lmao I was thinking the same but it's only been a few games. Somehow I doubt we'll see the same non sequiturs we see in this thread though

• Like 1

i am AMAZED that people who are bashing westwood for all this "not doing enough" is not bashing gana aswell lol.

Can't have an opinion on a player after 3 games though.

Sigh, there you go (deliberately?) missing and misrepresenting the point again. You can have opinions on players and how they played in the first three games (so you actually can compare Gana and Westwood in individual games, but for argument's sake let's give him more time), but multiple people were posting things like "Gestede and Ayew were a waste of 16M" in the transfer thread. Do you see the distinction? And why it's silly to write off a player as a waste after only 3 games (one of them already scored a winning goal too :lol: ) ?

Just to compare Westwood and Gana defensively:

Gana is averaging 5 tackles, 3 interceptions per game.

Westwood is on 1.7 and 0.7

Offensively:

Westwood has 1 assist, Gana 0.

Passing is virtually the same in terms of completion but obviously Westwood is looking to create more chances.

Gana's definitely pulling his weight in terms of what his job is in the team, you might argue that Westwood hasn't quite done enough to escape criticism. I've kind of come to the conclusion that Westwood's biggest issue is that he isn't influential enough - he has patches of it and sometimes games where he makes his mark but most of the time he isn't. Definitely something to work on but a hard thing to develop/improve.

But defence is also about positioning especially in different areas of the pitch, you don't have to make any tackles or any interceptions to be effective defensively if your pressure and movement prevents through balls past you or stops successful dribbles. But again, this is about the interpretation of some statistics and their relevance to a point. It reflects well on Gana as it suggests he's winning tackles and turning over the ball, but it terms over comparing the twos defensive contribution it's useless. that's what watching matches is for.

• Like 1

Just to compare Westwood and Gana defensively:

Gana is averaging 5 tackles, 3 interceptions per game.

Westwood is on 1.7 and 0.7

Offensively:

Westwood has 1 assist, Gana 0.

Passing is virtually the same in terms of completion but obviously Westwood is looking to create more chances.

Gana's definitely pulling his weight in terms of what his job is in the team, you might argue that Westwood hasn't quite done enough to escape criticism. I've kind of come to the conclusion that Westwood's biggest issue is that he isn't influential enough - he has patches of it and sometimes games where he makes his mark but most of the time he isn't. Definitely something to work on but a hard thing to develop/improve.

That's quite telling given that many seem to point to his tackling and interceptions as positives.

Well Gana has more tackles than any other player in the league so harsh to expect Westy to be ahead of him. They compliment each other nicely, Gana is a great tackler and ball winner and is a competent passer but not the best whereas Westy is a great passer and reader of the game but not the best defensively but still contributes enough. Play the 2 of them with Sanchez behind them and we will have a great platform for an all out attacking front 3.

Just getting silly now. Obviously there is a valid discussion to be had over what effective influence he has. In terms of goals and assists he has been disappointing since his promising first season and the debate will always rage about players like him, Carrick, Allen and any other deep lying midfielders whose passing is perceived to be their better strength than their tackling.

To suggest his floaty corners are frustrating and disappointing is fair criticism for me. Whoever suggested his free kicks aren't up to the required standard obviously missed his free kick against Man Utd last season. However to question his reading of the game is just laughable.

THAT Lexicon is nail on the head if people want to criticise him for anything as far as I'm concerned.