Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Gil plays better forward passes than Westwood, and Delph created more chances today than Westwood.

He did play a lovely 1st time pass to Cleverley in the 1st half though, but for me he doesn't do that enough, he doesn't take enough chances, he is too safe.Looks for the safe position, the safe pass, no pressure, thats why he frustrates me.I don't think he is as good as some of you think, but i do think he is better than he generally shows.A good squad player for me.

You're so wrong, he nearly always looks for the forward pass and regularly plays the ball in behind with great accuracy.  I've seen him pick Hutton out many times with inch perfect passes over the opposition full back so far this season.  The problem is there is hardly ever anyone offering any kind of decent runs but when there is then Westwood is the man to play them in.   He made the same amount of key passes as Delph today btw and was on the pitch for 30 minutes less than him.

I'm not a massive Westwood fan. He's tidy with the ball but doesn't do enough in a game for me. Prefer Sanchez in the holding role. I was surprised when Lambert took him off and we did look better for a short period. That may have been more to go with Cleverley being subbed though.

There is no hope for people who think Westwood isn't any good.

None.

Agreed and the other one that gets to me is people putting Westwood and Cleverly in the same bracket. Westwood is 10 times the player Cleverly is.

None.

We looked good when he wasn't on the pitch.

He's a decent enough player but no needed IMO if Gill is going to play as an am.

He wasn't great today, but he's not crap?

Like I said, if anyone thinks he's rubbish, there is just no hope for them ever understanding football :thumb:

None.

We looked good when he wasn't on the pitch.

He's a decent enough player but no needed IMO if Gill is going to play as an am.

Ha that was more to do with Cleverley going off just like it was the case in previous games

Didn't I tell everyone Westwood would render Sanchez ineffective? That's happened. Imagine a team with Sanchez as the holding mid and gil in behind the strikers... Now stop imaging because Lambert won't contemplate anything that doesn't involve westy. He's key to everything we do you know

Did you see the game yesterday?

Sanchez played his best position, was deeper than Westwood and had an excellent game.

When subs were made it was Westwood who was brought off and Sanchez who stayed on.

So basically you've invented something to be angry about.

Didn't I tell everyone Westwood would render Sanchez ineffective? That's happened. Imagine a team with Sanchez as the holding mid and gil in behind the strikers... Now stop imaging because Lambert won't contemplate anything that doesn't involve westy. He's key to everything we do you know

Did you see the game yesterday?

Sanchez played his best position, was deeper than Westwood and had an excellent game.

When subs were made it was Westwood who was brought off and Sanchez who stayed on.

So basically you've invented something to be angry about.

I think you're wrong!! We played 433 initially with Sanchez pushed out on the right and Westwood deeper there was a bit of rotation but you don't want your defensive midfielder to rotate! Unless you play with 2 wide players Sanchez and Westwood do the same job. Only thing is Sanchez does it better. He wins tackles has more physicality and better passing range. Once westwood went off he went DM and we played a lot better as we only had one defensive midfielder on and more creativity. Normally Sanchez would've been took off as the norm but because of Gil I think Sanchez got the nod!!

None.

Cause he makes such a difference....... Oh wait!

We certainly missed all of his assists when he was out.....oh, wait....

The midfield is horrendous, and he's a big part of it.

• Like 1

I didn't see it that way. I certainly felt Sanchez was the deepest all game.

But regardless, it doesn't change the fact that daz claimed Sanchez was ineffective, and that Westwood would always be played instead. Both of which aren't true of yesterday.

I didn't see it that way. I certainly felt Sanchez was the deepest all game.

But regardless, it doesn't change the fact that daz claimed Sanchez was ineffective, and that Westwood would always be played instead. Both of which aren't true of yesterday.

Think he's point was Westwood has become such a favourite he won't be dropped. We only need 1 DM in most games and for me thats sanchez who I thinks becoming our best midfielder. If Delph would sign we'd have a pretty solid middle.

Fair point, but I think the fact Westwood was taken off when Gil was brought on shows that he's certainly not favoured over Sanchez.

I think Westwood will be dropped at some point. Maybe not the next 2 games because we'll probably stay quote defensive.

But I think the next time we play a smaller team we'll set up as we finished yesterdays game