Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Not a coincidence that the player with the most ability on the ball has avoided second season syndrome like the others. Great to see him putting more of a defensive shift in as well. I think he covered a Mata run and shielded the ball until it went out of bounds right in our own box.

But I'd like to see him really impose himself on the game against an opponent like Fulham. Instead of being content on keeping the tempo going, he should really start attacking and trying to find some through balls and deep crosses. Already we've seen that since we've cut out the floaty shit to Benteke, his corners and set pieces have become infinitely better now that he can put some whip into it.

You must not have watched the first 6 months of the season.

As for the talk of playing for England one day, laughable.

A couple of decent performances and suddenly Lowton, Westwood, Bacuna, Gabby etc should all be playing for their countries.

They are all average at best as proven when we were played off the park against the likes of West Ham, Fulham, Stoke etc...

All I ever hear is with these 'kids' is that with a strong player next to him, they would really shine. Maybe we should just accept if they cannot do it on their own merits they are not good enough.

He's put together a couple of good games now against various opponents. Standout in Cardiff, Newcastle, and United.

He had some shaky games early on but he's found his footing and we're just calling on him to be better.

But yeah sure. He's never going to be good.

Edited by Kwan

As for the talk of playing for England one day, laughable.

A couple of decent performances and suddenly Lowton, Westwood, Bacuna, Gabby etc should all be playing for their countries.

maybe you should read that back to yourself ;)

No, I am happy with it.

3 decent performances end of last season, Lowton will play for England.

Gabby wins two penalties against Arsenal, Gabby should play for England.

Bacunca scores a few goals masking some horrible displays, late shout for the world cup.

Now Westwood.

Rodders you plonker!

Westwood is a cracking little player, and will only get better. All he needs is a bit of aggression!

He is 24, if his balls haven't dropped yet I hold out little hope.

Westwood has claimed two assists, but in actual fact has created 21 more chances than he did last season, carving out 54 opportunities for his team-mates during the current campaign.

Only 11 players in the Premier League have created more. Set-pieces have played a significant part but he’s still created 33 chances from open play, ranking him 14th in the league in this category.

To put that into perspective that is now five more than Wayne Rooney and six more than Steven Gerrard. Only 12 players have delivered more accurate crosses all season (41) and of the 33 players to have attempted at least 100, his accuracy (32.3 per cent ranks fourth.

He is supplying the ammunition, even if his colleagues often fail to find the target.

Westwood has claimed two assists, but in actual fact has created 21 more chances than he did last season, carving out 54 opportunities for his team-mates during the current campaign.

Only 11 players in the Premier League have created more. Set-pieces have played a significant part but he’s still created 33 chances from open play, ranking him 14th in the league in this category.

To put that into perspective that is now five more than Wayne Rooney and six more than Steven Gerrard. Only 12 players have delivered more accurate crosses all season (41) and of the 33 players to have attempted at least 100, his accuracy (32.3 per cent ranks fourth.

He is supplying the ammunition, even if his colleagues often fail to find the target.

Probably more to do with the fact that he takes a lot of corners and Benteke wins every header regardless of the delivery. I think Bannan had 'good stats' too.

It's very obscure what constitutes a chance in such statistics. Squawka has Westwood as having created 56 chances this season but he certainly hasn't created anything like that by common definition of a chance. Benteke is next on 46 chances created which again, I'd have to dispute.

It's very obscure what constitutes a chance in such statistics. Squawka has Westwood as having created 56 chances this season but he certainly hasn't created anything like that by common definition of a chance. Benteke is next on 46 chances created which again, I'd have to dispute.

I agree the stats are flawed but you surely can't have a good enough memory to dispute a stat like that off the top of your head. What totals did you have in mind?

he’s still created 33 chances from open play, ranking him 14th in the league in this category.

Probably more to do with the fact that he takes a lot of corners

As stated, Benteke wins a lot of headers regardless of the delivery so if Westwood pumps into into the box that is defined as a chance created.

I can't remember many defence spiltting passes this season or examples of any vision.

I agree the stats are flawed but you surely can't have a good enough memory to dispute a stat like that off the top of your head. What totals did you have in mind?

Well according to that he has created almost two chances per game which I can't say would match what I've seen. For most of the season until the last month or so I think he didn't offer much at all and was totally anonymous in a lot of the games. Ultimately though, I am just curious to know what the definition of a chance is according to the statisticians. Unlike a goal or assist, it is a pretty subjective thing to try and quantify.

if Westwood pumps into into the box that is defined as a chance created.

Do you know that for a fact or is that a guess?

If Benteke wins the header regardless of where he heads it or if he even attempts to direct it goalwards that counts as a chance created for the deliverer?

I don't know enough about their system to dispute it but that doesn't sound right.

Probably more to do with the fact that he takes a lot of corners and Benteke wins every header regardless of the delivery. I think Bannan had 'good stats' too.

:)

If Benteke wins the header regardless of where he heads it or if he even attempts to direct it goalwards that counts as a chance created for the deliverer?

That's the thing, I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Most of us wouldn't count Benteke doing incredibly well just to get a tame header on target from one of those paceless floated Westwood corners as a chance but it wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Squawka did.

paceless floated Westwood corners

They were shite but he's been whipping them in lately, thankfully.

Anyway, most of these sites us Opta and their definitions are as follows:

Chances Created

Assists plus Key passes.

Goal Assist

The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball scoring a goal.

Key Pass

The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal without scoring.

Which means that any old header doesn't count, it has to be an obvious attempt at goal.

• Like 1