Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Great **** win and a great performance. Looking at this and also back at Stoke, just imagine how it would have been without those 6 points. As it is right now, we know that it was the least we needed :)

What matters now is a point at Norwich, at least! We seriously don't want to go into Wigan on the last day and leading only by three points. Given that three points are the difference in two weeks we also know that they will have a better GD (as they will cover ground and we will get a negative GD in the next two games in the worst case) and we will go down with a loss.

A win against Norwich and we are virtually safe at 40 points. A positive Wigan-run will see them draw West Ham, beat Swansea, lose to Arsenal and win against us. That is 7 points and 39 points. You can also say that they will lose to West Ham, draw Swansea, draw Arsenal and beat us giving them 37 points. Will they beat West Ham, Swansea, Villa and maybe lose to Arsenal? Doubtful, they will draw somewhere in there so we have plenty of games to look forward to.

All in all, we are out of the relegation-zone, we have another team under us in Newcastle and we just played extremely well. How can that team go down? Sadly just a few results will take us back, but after 38 games the worst team goes down and we are not among the three worst teams in the league.

I was just checking the table and you're right. Even though its not a mathematical certainty you can't really see Wigan winning all 4 of their last 4 games. Especially with a Wembley appearance in between.

I hope they go down. They don't belong in the premier League, been punching above their weight way to long.

If we beat Norwich we will be two points clear of the Canaries and at least even on GD.

If we beat them we'll be ahead of them on GD as it's currently 1 goal in their favour. a one goal win means a 2 goal swing

You are correct. Even better.

We met Sunderland at the best possible time in my opinion. They just had two lucky although great wins against Everton and Newcastle which gave them huge confidence, especially under Di Canio who believed he could just stroll into Villa playing attacking footbal in our half. Against Everton they created nothing and against Newcastle they should have let in a goal at 1-0 when the ref wrongfully whistled for an offside. So they weren't afraid of us and left way too much room for us to counter in.

Against Norwich we will not experience the same and I think people should realize how that game will be extremely tough. When we win 6-1 and Hughton sees the match, the last thing they want to do is moving their midfielders and strikers far away from their defenders like Sunderland did today. We were great, but they let us play exactly to our strengths which is pace with Weimann and Gabby. Sunderland are a very slow team and they left way too much room for us to exploit, as they believed they could outplay us on our half.

I expect Norwich to be compact and tough from start, which again leaves very little room for Gabby and Weimann. The good thing is that they will create less themselves and we might just snatch that win we need to all but tie up our status in the Premier League. I guess Benteke will have a big saying in that match as well :)

• Like 1

Agree with the post above that the wins against Stoke and now Sunderland (even more so) have turned our fortunes and given us fresh momentum. It's interesting to think that each had an amazing, game-turning goal from outside the box. In both cases we had taken the lead then lost it and a fantastic goal changed the course of the match, Deciding Villa's goal of the season this year is going to be hard!

Edited by briny_ear

We met Sunderland at the best possible time in my opinion. They just had two lucky although great wins against Everton and Newcastle which gave them huge confidence, especially under Di Canio who believed he could just stroll into Villa playing attacking footbal in our half. Against Everton they created nothing and against Newcastle they should have let in a goal at 1-0 when the ref wrongfully whistled for an offside. So they weren't afraid of us and left way too much room for us to counter in.

Against Norwich we will not experience the same and I think people should realize how that game will be extremely tough. When we win 6-1 and Hughton sees the match, the last thing they want to do is moving their midfielders and strikers far away from their defenders like Sunderland did today. We were great, but they let us play exactly to our strengths which is pace with Weimann and Gabby. Sunderland are a very slow team and they left way too much room for us to exploit, as they believed they could outplay us on our half.

I expect Norwich to be compact and tough from start, which again leaves very little room for Gabby and Weimann. The good thing is that they will create less themselves and we might just snatch that win we need to all but tie up our status in the Premier League. I guess Benteke will have a big saying in that match as well :)

Totally agree. I think Norwich will set out for a draw from start

For some reason I was extremely confident about tonight, think I predicted about 3-1 in the prediction thread. I was also really confident about the Norwich game and stated we would win both. I still think we will beat Norwich on Saturday.

I am getting more and more confident about us beating Chelsea. We are a miles better team than the one that got thrashed by them earlier in the season. It's our last home game of the season, we will be more confident, we are more experienced as a team and we'll be out for revenge. Also, we might need a win to guarantee our safety. I just really fancy us for that game.

We could still get top half..

For that to happen we'd need West Ham to get no more points (and we would all very much like for them to beat Newcastle), Fulham to pick up a maximum of 2, Stoke a maximum of 2 (and they've to play Sunderland on Monday, another one we'd like to see them win), Southampton to get no more than 3 (they play Sunderland the 2nd last week) and Stoke the last game

Realistically, 13th is as good as we're going to do

We could still get top half..

hey, let's just get to safety before the silly talk! beat Norwich and I think we're about there, 'cause we'd likely have 4 teams below us in the battle to avoid 18th and I don't think they all going to reach 40 pts. would obviously be great to finish as high as possible, but I'd still take 17th if it was on offer right now!

I am getting more and more confident about us beating Chelsea. We are a miles better team than the one that got thrashed by them earlier in the season. It's our last home game of the season, we will be more confident, we are more experienced as a team and we'll be out for revenge. Also, we might need a win to guarantee our safety. I just really fancy us for that game.

Yes they'll be a bit wore worried now. We owe them.