Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

As things are right now, all we really need to do is equal wigan and sunderland for the remainder of  the season and we'll be fine (that's presumptuously writing off wigan against city during the week though)

Three out of our next four games are winnable on our present form. I said last week that I felt Sunderland would be the one to go down no matter who they brought in. After watching Stoke yesterday I think they are in real danger too.

We will continue to score goals but the worry is not being able to hang onto leads. I do think we will keep at least one clean sheet by the end of the season. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if we go 7 points out of the next 12.

I've done my predictions again, and I don't think there is much chance of us pulling far enough away for the final game of the season not to come into play. Especially so given our goal difference.

On the last day Southampton play Stoke and Villa play Wigan.

If we win, we'll stay up.

If we draw, we'll stay up.

If we lose, but Southampton beat Stoke we'll stay up.

If we lose, but Southampton draw with Stoke we'll stay up.

If we lose, but Southampton lose to Stoke we'll go down.

That is how I see the final day of the season going regardless of all the hundreds of different permutations of results until then.

Quite frankly I'd be okay with that situation.

The thing that has got to me over the last few days is that we have been on a great run. Since the beginning of February we got a draw against Everton which was unexpected and then won all of our winnable games (4 out of 7) and lost all the games we were expected to lose (3 out of 7). If we hadn't of done that which would have been very likely (you wouldn't get good odds on us losing or drawing just one of those 4 games) it would be almost certain that we would be relegated.

Its all about taking points off our direct rivals. I would rather we get a win against Sunderland and Wigan and lose the other 4 then get 7 points by beating chelsea, man u (yes i know, nearly impossible) and fulham who are all way ahead of us. Getting 6 points from our direct rivals will stop them.

We are in a good position right now, better than I would have expected 4 or 5 games ago. Two wins and a draw an we stay up in my opinion, especially if those wins are Sunderland and Wigan !

Before yesterday and the desperation of being in the bottom 3 I was sure we were down.

After this weekend I was sure we would be safe.

After a bit of reflection I am back on fence realising that whilst the would looks a happier place for villa fans after one good weekend, one bad weekend could darken the mood once more.

If I was forced to place a bet It would go on us avoiding the drop, we seem to have found a little bit of form, our remaining fixtures are favorable to those around us, and there is imo only one place left to be dicided, but there will be twists and turns and the sooner we get the couple of wins required the sooner we can all turn our attentions to next year.

I enjoyed reading this table in the Observer this morning. This calculates where teams will finish in the table if everyone's form over the remaining games is the same as it was for the last 10 games.

Obvious caveats - it depends how strong the teams you are due to play are compared with the ones you played over the last 10 - but it does highlight the momentum we have built up in recent games. It would be good to get more points and finish higher than last season. It also highlights what a bad place Stoke are in at the moment. I thought they were shockingly bad yesterday and it's hard to see them getting many points at all for the rest of the season unless Pulis can fire them up a bit. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see this as the actual bottom 3.

IMG_0522_zpsaae76b65.jpg

Beat Norwich and match Sunderland, Stoke and Wigan and we're guaranteed to finish at least  14th. Looking at the way fixtures are, and our form, that's got to be  the ultimate target now

I keep saying Norwich . Look at their form and the run in they have. They could get sucked down with a bit of luck

I don't think Norwich's run in is harder than ours, and is certainly easier than the likes of Sunderland, Wigan and QPR. However, as you say their form is worrying for them, but they probably look at those fixtures and think 4 winnable games in the same way I look at our fixtures and think 4 winnable games. The difference being they currently have 2 extra points than us.

I remember watching the league table around the west ham game, and norwich and stoke were over 10 points ahead. and sunderland were about 8 ahead. With 9 points from the last 4 games we have closed it.

I have changed my vote for the first time from "Yes" to "Unsure".....just because we are in a far better place than this time last month. The players and manager could not have done much more given the circumstances, and we really look like we've turned a corner with three wins out of four games. We were many people's favourites to go down last month, but now most people reckon it will be Sunderland or Stoke to join QPR and Reading. BUT....you never really know what you are going to get with this team. So I'll be sitting on the fence til we reach 40 points and only then will I reckon we'll be safe.

I keep saying Norwich . Look at their form and the run in they have. They could get sucked down with a bit of luck

I didn't realise how bad their form has been.

1 win in 15 and that was that last minute winner against Everton.

Apart from that they haven't won since December.

Can still get 12/1 for them to go down... back that and lay it off after the Arsenal game when people start mentioning Norwich as a serious relegation candidate.

i just did bbc predictor and i had us beat chelsea (i know very optimistic) and lose to wigan and we finished 12th, when i changed it to chelsea loss we finished 15th with stoke, QPR and reading going down

would be delighted with that. think i want stoke down more than sunderland, their fans are horrid little turds