Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Yes our defence improving has nothing to do with anything!

You keep seeing the worse and ignoring the improvements.

Hell at least you didn't mention Doug, slowly getting over it.. likes Villas form!

You should try reading. I've pointed out many things I've seen improvements in.

I guess if it will all click and the goals will come Lambert won't bother wasting any money on attacking players January. We'll see how that plays out shall we.

I just don't buy this improvement people speak of as being any use to us.

Great, we can keep it tight and stop the opposition scoring, e.g Stoke and Arsenal game, but we do not look like scoring in a million years.

The Man Utd game, people said the attacking play was great, but we just needed to sort the defence out. Notice how we can get one but not both together?

Was at the Stoke game & it was just so clear that we have what i can only describe as a "Void" area in our play. At least thats how it looked from my position in the lower Holte. I thought we looked very promising defensively & our players handled the Stoke bullyboys quite well. The problem is the lack of movement up top.. it was attrocious. Benteke did his best although his finishing was distinctly average it has to be said but he did do well generally. The problem was that was it up front!. Our goal threat was awful. It was like Benteke got the ball but there was just nobody in an advanced position for him to lay it off to... at least not in a position of any threat. Also we had no width at all. Lowton was pretty poor in the final third & as was Lichaj. Although both did a decent job defensively. Then Westwood & Bannan were good at passing it about & rarely lost possesion but again had no options to pass it to upfront. On the odd occasion they found Benteke he then was so surrounded by huge Stoke defenders that he could do very little with it... Despite this he still made himself a couple of half chances but his finishing was poor... Other than that we had nothing. It's difficult to know what the answer is really but for me we need some wing threat & more pace in the side.. Or somebody who can dribble through a packed defence on occasion.. January gives us the chance to rectify this of course.

I just don't buy this improvement people speak of as being any use to us.

Great, we can keep it tight and stop the opposition scoring, e.g Stoke and Arsenal game, but we do not look like scoring in a million years.

The Man Utd game, people said the attacking play was great, but we just needed to sort the defence out. Notice how we can get one but not both together?

Yeah, improvements are definitely useless and in no way can be beneficial for the future at all.

Furthermore, I also believe that Lambert can only do one thing at a time and the possibility of him trying to find a balance between the two simply can't exist. I don't believe in 'learning curves' or the possibility that it may take time for things to get better because that's ridiculous.

Right, that said, I'm off to go and get my PhD - should take about an hour or so. Laters.

Quick observation, 172 pages on Relegation before Xmas

Kind of says it all really about how far this club has fallen

And 159 pages of it are ridiculous posts like this, bulking up the thread with no substance, or just simply trolling. It says nothing about nothing.

You could start a thread about Fred West and get the same number of pages in the same time. It doesn't mean he is going to be resurrected...

• Like 1

Perfectly legit concerns. We look in a rush ...but out of ideas up front. We need a creative player to sit behind the forwards or even better a forward who can make his own magic.

You've just described Dimitar Berbatov haven't you

Slightly concerning that we are now 7 points off 12th and 5 points off 13th. I am not sure what the other clubs fixtures are over the next couple of games but I'd imagine come the game against Spurs that gap could be bigger.

There is no doubt that we are going to be in a dog fight to stay up with 5 or 6 other clubs. We have three tough games coming up now and I just hope we can pick up 2 or 3 points from them. Then just as importantly is who we bring in in January. Get that wrong and the consequences will be severe.

There is no doubt that we are going to be in a dog fight to stay up with 5 or 6 other clubs.

I don't think we will be in a dog fight. Our form has been steadily improving as the season goes on. Our average points per game is also on an upward trajectory. I expect this improvement to continue and Lambert to bring in two or three new players in January and for us to finish the season comfortably mid-table

I don't think we will be in a dog fight. Our form has been steadily improving as the season goes on. Our average points per game is also on an upward trajectory. I expect this improvement to continue and Lambert to bring in two or three new players in January and for us to finish the season comfortably mid-table

Do you expect 'this improvement to continue' over the next set of fixtures?

Do you expect 'this improvement to continue' over the next set of fixtures?

Not neccessary but it wouldn't surprise me. I expect the general trend to be one of improvement but individual match performances will obviously ber subject to variation

I have faith in Lambert and I'd love to believe that we won't be in a relegation fight and will be comfortably mid table come the end of the season but I don't see it. We are getting set adrift now along with another 6 clubs and I can see that gap increasing over the next couple of weeks.

I agree that Lambert will bring in 2 or 3 players. Its what two or three players he brings in that matters. Two or three players that are going to take a number of weeks to settle and adjust will be no good to us as by then we will be in to the last quarter of the season. We need players to come in who can make an instant impact and hit the ground running.

As for our points total being on an upward trajectory if you take the last 4 games it is 6 points from them games. However take the last 6 games it is a point a game or go the other way and take the last 2 games then again it is a point a game and I doubt it will look any prettier over the next 2 or 3 games.

So you are really hedging your bets there rather than backing your previous opinion.

Not hedging my bets at all! I've consistently stated where I expect us to be. However, I won't panic if the next two or three games don't go exactly as I expect - that's football

I can see the improvement on the pitch - you must see that too, surely?

Do you expect us to be in the relegation places come January? (I am predicting 15th position by January and mid-table (9th-11th) by season end)

Bottom five for me come January which i have always stated. Then it really depends on who Lambert signs in the window?

We need an AM and defensive mid plus i'm still concerned about our weakness at LB. If Bent leaves without being replaced that will also weaken us up front as Benteke cannot be expected to play throughout the season without a rest barring injury of course which is why we shouldn't sell Bent until the end of the season.

Bottom five for me come January which i have always stated. Then it really depends on who Lambert signs in the window?

We need an AM and defensive mid plus i'm still concerned about our weakness at LB. If Bent leaves without being replaced that will also weaken us up front as Benteke cannot be expected to play throughout the season without a rest barring injury of course which is why we shouldn't sell Bent until the end of the season.

Agree (!!??) about AM and DM but I'm happy with Bennett at LB with Stevens as cover. I think we might sign three - AM, DM and either a second AM or CB (although Baker's emergence in recent weeks has made that less of a priority)