Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Will Sunderland beat Reading tomorrow ?

Can Wigan pick up anything at Carrow Rd at the weekend ?

Can we sneak a point or more at Anfield ?

All questions , no answers at this stage. But I think we will probably be about 17th after this weekend

I haven't met a single Villa fan out in the world who is as negative or despondent as a few on here appear to be and the only reason any of us should be "holding it together " is for actual human problems . Economic failings, family health etc . Not because of the mediocrity of some overpaid footballers .

It's because the obvious culprits are obviously 12 years old, or have the mental capacity thereof. People aren't helping them by engaging their nefariousness, and quite possibly, truancy.

Will Sunderland beat Reading tomorrow ? {yes}

Can Wigan pick up anything at Carrow Rd at the weekend ? {no}

Can we sneak a point or more at Anfield ? {no}

All questions , no answers at this stage. But I think we will probably be about 17th after this weekend

Against pretty moderate opposition Lambert has us not loosing. But IMO we are a very long way of stringing a couple wins together. Theres only limited firepower, almost zero wideplay , pace, and creativity (ok Gabby has pace - but its pretty ineffective)

Lambo reckons the goals will come. again IMO you can only be confident of that if you have one of those games, where you create loads of chances but just don't score. I don't think we are creating that many chances . Yeah sure the play is neat and tidy, and an improvement on the last of couple of years - but we aren't worrying many teams.

With finances tight, and only low wage players incoming - Lambert has his work cut out to turn this around IMO. We just have to hope that a couple of teams at the bottom implode, and we can scrape home. Got to say the signs don't look good

Yeah the worry is for me, Harry Redknapp will get QPR on a run at some point . Wigan always turn into Real Madrid around March.

At some point we will HAVE to string a run together ourselves. Let's hope we can do that.

Are people claiming the goals will come because of some hope of who we will buy in January?

Because I see no way in which the goals will come with the current players we have and our managers decision to not play bent.

Apart from the fact that we're clearly improving bit by bit.

I bet you said we couldn't defend of keep clean sheets a few weeks ago too and we have looked better each game in that department.

The football is improving and the goals I'm sure will come, if Bent could actually do more than one thing that modern football demands he might find himself in the team more...

How many players are in a football team?

I think the common answer would be 11, then you have the subs that make up the squad. Bent was on the bench not in the team.

Although, you've been critical of Lambert for not having Bent in the team, so if he is a sub that gets on for 2 mins in a game you must therefore be happy as Bent is in the team? :)

Sorry, being on the bench is not and never has been 'in the team' in my book.

No, but i'd be much happier if Gabby sees Kelly Brook at Villa Park in the first minute and runs away with her leaving Bent to play the other 89 minutes. Would he be in our team then? ;)

OK, To be honest we are just going back and forward here and getting nowhere.

I gave examples of how I defined success and they were 2 amongst many. Also, yes, The previous 2 seasons haven't been great but I am optimistic about this season for the reasons many have already stated.

I do find it amazing though that you can state so clearly that Diame and Adam would work for us. Did you also have a solid knowledge of the Eredivisie and Feyenoord because you seem to be implying that you knew KEA would struggle to find his feet in the Premier League and that they would be much better options.

I'm basing my opinion on the players mentioned due to needing a dynamic mid (Diame) and someone who is good at delivering dead ball situations while also being able to play a defence splitting pass (Adam). Both therefore may have complimented one another but your right in that i don't know for sure if both players would have worked together.

No, very little knowledge of the Eredivisie and Feyenoord and your right it looks very like i'm using the benefit of hindsight but just putting forward two players that i have been banging on about since they first became available in the summer so take from that what you will?

Yep agree that we are going around in circles but have enjoyed the good natured debate.

Apart from the fact that we're clearly improving bit by bit.

I bet you said we couldn't defend of keep clean sheets a few weeks ago too and we have looked better each game in that department.

The football is improving and the goals I'm sure will come, if Bent could actually do more than one thing that modern football demands he might find himself in the team more...

Nothing to do with our defence improving. We'll see how this improvement holds up over the next 3 games

None of our midfield players are goal scorers. Gabby has not been in goal scoring form for how long? And Holman isn't going to suddenly turn into a goal machine.

So it's very unlikely it's all of a sudden going to click into place.

Perhaps it's time to take stock of opinion - according to the poll almost 23% of people think we will be relegated.

Given what you have seen so far and what you expect to happen in the window, who still thinks that we will go down?

For me I am expecting to be around 15th by the opening of the window and finish the season around 10th

Stated this before 'VillaCas' but it very much depends on who we buy in January.

You're the one who said your turkey may be hard to swallow if results go badly . Nobody on this forum needs to "hold it together" more than you I feel . The majority of us seem to be taking it reasonably well considering .

I haven't met a single Villa fan out in the world who is as negative or despondent as a few on here appear to be and the only reason any of us should be "holding it together " is for actual human problems . Economic failings, family health etc . Not because of the mediocrity of some overpaid footballers .

I don't expect things to pick up drastically for Villa in the next few weeks but I wont let it ruin the holidays and I certainly won't let it consume me so much that I have to write about the same thing every day .

There is always a chance that Villa could string a few nice results together which would be a bonus but we certainly shouldn't let affect us so negatively if results go the wrong way .

Lighten up a little. No ones saying our team going down will cause mass suicide on VT. ;)

No, but i'd be much happier if Gabby sees Kelly Brook at Villa Park in the first minute and runs away with her leaving Bent to play the other 89 minutes. Would he be in our team then? ;)

No. :)

I'm basing my opinion on the players mentioned due to needing a dynamic mid (Diame) and someone who is good at delivering dead ball situations while also being able to play a defence splitting pass (Adam). Both therefore may have complimented one another but your right in that i don't know for sure if both players would have worked together.

As I've said previously Diame is a player I would have liked us to go in for but as I've also said it is hard to know the full details i.e. wage restrictions, demands.

Something that came out over the weekend was that Diame had a clause in his contract at West Ham allowing him to leave for £3.5m which isn't uncommon these days for players signed on free transfers. Now it is entirely possible that Lambert might have said no to such a clause, personally I would agree with refusing to sign a player on that basis because it is no way to build stability.

Look at the constant speculation with Newcastle and Demba Ba and the speculation that was starting about Diame before his hamstring injury on Sunday.

Now I'm not sure we were ever in for Diame, we probably weren't but I think it just goes to illustrate that it really isn't as simple as just get player A or B. There are so many other considerations, this being an example of just one.

So while we may not always understand the logic behind the decisions of Lambert or any other manager I think we all need to accept we are rarely, if ever, in possession of anything close to all the facts.

(For the avoidance of doubt I do not think there was ever any logic in the idiotic decisions of McLeish)

Nothing to do with our defence improving. We'll see how this improvement holds up over the next 3 games

None of our midfield players are goal scorers. Gabby has not been in goal scoring form for how long? And Holman isn't going to suddenly turn into a goal machine.

So it's very unlikely it's all of a sudden going to click into place.

Yes our defence improving has nothing to do with anything!

You keep seeing the worse and ignoring the improvements.

Hell at least you didn't mention Doug, slowly getting over it.. likes Villas form!

Wigan always turn into Real Madrid around March.

By the same logic, we could also claim that MON's team will collapse in March, which will ensure that they go down.

Fulham, who can't defend, but has good strikers, are just 5 points ahead of us. Newcastle are in a mess and only 2 points ahead of us. Southampton are on equal points, as are Wigan, and we are 2 points ahead of Sunderland.

And I am quite confident that QPR and Reading will go down.

I really think we will be fine, but as others have said, it is not a comfortable league position. But I am a lot more comfortable than at the same time last season, when we did not lose our first 7 league matches and had 19 points after our first 16 matches. The reason I am more comfortable now is that I see something else on the pitch than I did last season.