Rino8

Great in my eyes is quite a big list. There has been so many great players, all the ones listed above are great players and imo suarez is already in that great list because as long as he's fit he will continue to destroy teams. The guy is a magician, by the time he retires I think majority of people will look back and say he was one of the greats. I'd put him in my greatest liverpool team yeah. He beats teams on his own sometimes, there aint been a player for a few years who I really enjoy watching as much as suarez although I loved watching bale also. I think the fact that he plays for liverpool and the diving,biting thing people straight away play him down. There are better players now probably,messi? Ronaldo? And there are better players from the past but he is and will go down as one of the best players ever providing injury does not stop him playing regular.

As others have said, a fantastic footballer, but lets himself down far too often. Some would argue it's his will to win, others would call him a cheat. I can't shake the racism thing either, if I'm being honest. As a player he's an amazing talent, but unfortunately you have to judge him on the side issues too, which ultimately may hold him back as being remembered as a great in many people's eyes. 

Define "greats" though.  Is Suarez in the top five players ever?  Top fifty? Top hundred?  He is clearly one of the best players in the world today but is he better than Dennis Bergkamp? Marco Van Basten? Hugo Sanchez? Kevin Keegan?  Would he get into Liverpool's all time XI? 

Oh without a doubt he'd be in the all time Liverpool  X1 Better than Keegan and Dalglish.

Edited by PaulC

It's only normal in the current World to jump into things too quickly. He has been incredible this season, very good last season. The other 2 years in England... meh.

Edited by kurtsimonw

It's only normal in the current World to jump into things too quickly. He has been incredible this season, very good last season. The other 2 years in England... meh.

his overall stats for clubs and country are very good.

Suarez biggest issue is that he plays amongst some great players who've done it consistently for a long time. Ronaldo, Messi and even Ibrahimovic have been as good as Suarez is now for a number of years. 

What about maradona though? Cheat,drug addict. But he's still considered one of the greats. I see your point though that its a part of his game which needs to be worked on.

Personally I'd say Maradona is the best ever. I know many people disagree with that, for the reasons you mentioned. 

Yes in terms of longevity he's not one of the greats but right now he's one of the best 3 players in the world i would say. The world cup might be a good showpiece to see just how great he is. Mind you its a bit like Maradona and that 86 Argentina side. Nowhere near as good as the 76 side and he had to do it on his own. 

What about maradona though? Cheat,drug addict. But he's still considered one of the greats. I see your point though that its a part of his game which needs to be worked on.

Personally I'd say Maradona is the best ever. I know many people disagree with that, for the reasons you mentioned. 

I'd have to agree with you as no other player has won a world cup virtually on his own before. Pele had great, great players around him in 58, 62 and 70

I'd have to agree with you as no other player has won a world cup virtually on his own before. Pele had great, great players around him in 58, 62 and 70

Yeah, Pele had Garrincha as a team mate for one. 

Yeah, Pele had Garrincha as a team mate for one. 

Yes in 58 and 62 he had Garrincha and Didi and in 1970 so many great players 

Define "greats" though.  Is Suarez in the top five players ever?  Top fifty? Top hundred?  He is clearly one of the best players in the world today but is he better than Dennis Bergkamp? Marco Van Basten? Hugo Sanchez? Kevin Keegan?  Would he get into Liverpool's all time XI? 

Oh without a doubt he'd be in the all time Liverpool  X1 Better than Keegan and Dalglish.

Dalglish is widely regarded as Liverpool's greatest ever player. 

Kevin Keegan won the ballon d'Or. Twice. 

Suarez is fantastic and I think he probably deserves to be included in the company of players mentioned already in this thread, but above them? Nah. Is he better than Ruud Van Nistelrooy? Teddy Sheringham? Michael Laudrup? Hristo Stoichkov? George Weah?

It's the thing where active players get over rated because they are here today and yesterdays heroes aren't.  All that shit about Tiger Woods being the best golfer ever, he still hasn't taken Jack Nicklaus' record. It's the same with Suarez. 

• Like 1

Suarez is fantastic and I think he probably deserves to be included in the company of players mentioned already in this thread, but above them? Nah. Is he better than Ruud Van Nistelrooy? Teddy Sheringham? Michael Laudrup? Hristo Stoichkov? George Weah?

It's the thing where active players get over rated because they are here today and yesterdays heroes aren't.  All that shit about Tiger Woods being the best golfer ever, he still hasn't taken Jack Nicklaus' record. It's the same with Suarez. 

But was Keegan a great at Liverpool. 68 goals in 230 games. Suarez 67 in 106. Dalglish was a great at Liverpool but neither had the talent Suarez has. Sheringham?  Ok i know its difficult to compare eras but if you mentioned George Best then yea i would agree with you.

Edited by PaulC

But was Keegan a great at Liverpool. 68 goals in 230 games. Suarez 67 in 106. Dalglish was a great at Liverpool but neither had the talent Suarez has. Sheringham?  Ok i know its difficult to compare eras but if you mentioned George Best then yea i would agree with you.

It's impossible to compare eras.  Keegan played in an era where fewer goals were scored.  Why are we suddenly in an era where the best strikers are scoring a goal a game?  Is it because everybody playing up front got better all of a sudden or is it because the laws of the game have changed to promote more attacking football?  Offside is less strict that it ever has been, tackling has been all but removed from the game, the back pass rule stopped teams being able to kill games when they went a goal ahead.  You can't just look at stats and say the guy with the biggest number is the best player.  Is Suarez better than Dixie Dean?  

• Like 2

It's impossible to compare eras.  Keegan played in an era where fewer goals were scored.  Why are we suddenly in an era where the best strikers are scoring a goal a game?  Is it because everybody playing up front got better all of a sudden or is it because the laws of the game have changed to promote more attacking football?  Offside is less strict that it ever has been, tackling has been all but removed from the game, the back pass rule stopped teams being able to kill games when they went a goal ahead.  You can't just look at stats and say the guy with the biggest number is the best player.  Is Suarez better than Dixie Dean?  

As a whole I don't think theres more goals scored today. Its just Liverpool and Man City. I think we used to score more goals lol. Yes the pitches were far worse, not sure about offsides. Less tackllng yes. There was the 4 step rule with the goalkeepers. Don't know when the back pass rule came in? Football has changed so much. Dalglish has won more so he's better i guess. I just think Suarez has more talent.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â