Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

£4m for a player with 6 months left (less than 4 months of playing time really) is a bit ambitious IMHO.

Not if it's a struggling Liverpool or Man Utd buying him. in fact, £4m might be on the low side.

I am not convinced that Man U or any other `big' team is interested. All I see is paper talk, and there were no moves for him in the summer.

Remember his age and injury record. He is more important to us than any other club, he knows he is a big fish for us and will be able to agree a contract commensurate with his importance, and he may well therefore sign an extension to his contract.

This is pretty much the case I believe. Vlaar is much more important to us than he would be for anyone else. Sometimes this happens to a player. Right place at the right time with right environment. And a team that needs the player so badly that it is willing to wait for his annual injuries to be over. I hope, and think, that Vlaar sees this, and does the right thing and signs. More likely every day, I think.

How on earth is it "more likely every day"?  I'd say every day we get closer to January and he can start talking to other clubs makes it more likely he'll go.

If you believe in what I wrote, that Vlaar doesn't/didn't get the attention from other clubs and is seeing Villa as his best bet for the remainder of his career, then the longer it stays that way, the more likely he'll stay.

But I get your point aswell.

I don't think wages or wage demands have anything to do with it.

At his age he has one more contract and/or move left and one chance for a big pay day and I think it is fairly obvious that he will take it and I don't particularly blame him.

I think he will move to Europe, probably Italy and pick up a big Bosman signing on fee and wages and play out the last couple of years of his career and I will wish him well.

Having only cost £3m we will have got our money's worth out of him, I'd rather he stayed but being realistic I don't think that is going to happen as I've been saying since the summer.

• Like 3

Liverpool lead the race to sign him, and are prepared to blow a deal of 50k pw out of the water with close to double that.

Just like when you said Vlaar would be sold in the summer and Lambert wasn't going to get a new deal? You've also commented many times about how Lambert was about to be sacked, how did that go? Or how about the hints towards Tonev leaving in the January window last season?

There isn't any need for this really.

Edited by samjp26

He isn't worth the money he would want for the length of contract he would like, given his injury record, which at his age isn't going to get any better.

Cash in and replace. We know there is money there, at least £7 million given our Cleverley heist, plus whatever we get for him.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be against selling him in January. I'd like him to stay obviously but his injury record is irritating and it's not going to get better with age. Plus Baker Senderos is a rather good partnership at the moment and we've Okore hanging about too. 

• Like 1

I don't think wages or wage demands have anything to do with it.

At his age he has one more contract and/or move left and one chance for a big pay day and I think it is fairly obvious that he will take it and I don't particularly blame him.

I think he will move to Europe, probably Italy and pick up a big Bosman signing on fee and wages and play out the last couple of years of his career and I will wish him well.

Having only cost £3m we will have got our money's worth out of him, I'd rather he stayed but being realistic I don't think that is going to happen as I've been saying since the summer.

It's pretty much the same as Mellberg IMO but we got an extra 3 years out of him. If we get taken over and start investing heavily in our team he might stay but I don't blame him either if he wants to go and play in the CL and try win something before his time is up.

Yeah, it really is the same as Mellberg . . . no grudges, he's been one of our best performers, we're not at the point where we can hold on to players like Vlaar at the current time (nor is it easy to see when we will be in the future)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â