Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

Anyway Shearer has Villa finishing about 16th next season so have no respect for his opinion

Did he give any reason or did he just pick a random number out of the sky on a whim?

He just said you cant get carried away by recent results and that we have struggled all season. But to have Newcastle finishing 10th is a little biased. Could be in the bottom 3 tomorrow.

His ability to influence a game from rightback can't be underestimated. Only very good players can do that, but I'd still have Guzan as runner-up to Benteke this season. With Given in goal, I fully believe we'd be down by now.

Benteke

Guzan
Lowton

Gabby

Weimann

Westwood

Baker

Have been the stand out performers for me and in that order. I think it also shows that Lambert a really competitive side given time and resources.

Baker? Don't get me wrong I think he's going to be class, and has had a few good games. But a stand out performer? 

I think its on the basis that he isnt Clark

I think for his first season in the prem, he has been really good.  A big part of why we have done well since Feb.  I really think we are harsh on our players sometimes.  Most of his poor performances came in a back three with Herd and Clark.  Don't forget he has to cover for Bennett quite a bit!

Baker? Don't get me wrong I think he's going to be class, and has had a few good games. But a stand out performer? 

Probably yes, given how the rest not mentioned on that list have performed!

But this probably warrants a new or different thread...

• 2 weeks later...

Stil don't understand how his stoke goal is not in that motd goal of season list

They didn't even bother with it in the compilation at the end. clearings in the woods.

Many nice goals, but motd goals are voted or pundits opinions?

Stil don't understand how his stoke goal is not in that motd goal of season list

They didn't even bother with it in the compilation at the end. clearings in the woods.

Actually, I think I saw a glimpse...

Many nice goals, but motd goals are voted or pundits opinions?

Actually, I think I saw a glimpse...

Ah I retract my earlier criticism although they are still clearings in the woods.

They had to pick Van Persie's because even though it wasn't better than Andy Carroll's (his volley was on the turn, ball was from higher trajectory, more difficult angle and he had to score at a sharper angle across goal with much less margin for error) they still had to justify why they didn't pick Lowton as GOTM. Plus everything is biased to Man Utd and Liverpool (it's biased to Man Utd just so Man Utd fans forgive them for being biased to Liverpool, even though they're now a mid-table side).

• 4 weeks later...

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert confident Lowton has more to give

Paul Lambert is confident Aston Villa's Matthew Lowton will continue to improve after an impressive end to the 2012/13 season.

Lowton helped lead Villa to safety, scoring the club's goal of the season in a vital 3-1 win against Stoke in April.

And Lambert believes the 24-year-old defender is only going to get better providing he doesn't rest on his laurels.

"I am pretty sure the praise he's been getting is terrific for Matty himself," said Lambert.

"But the most important thing is you don't rest on that. It's important you do it year after year.

"Once you start to do that, make a right name for yourself and start to win things and start to progress your career, then people can say things.

"He's an unassuming young lad. He's fitted in really well. You know what you're going to get with Matty with his consistent performances."

Asked whether Lowton would earn an England call-up in the future, Lambert added: "It's entirely in his own hands.

"His performances over the course of the year have been consistently high. We got him for a million pounds or whatever it was and he's been excellent."

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â