Euro 2012: Quarter finals

The_Rev

On a side note, if Fabio Capello's England had had the same amount of possesion over a tournament as we did in this one he would have been slaughtered by the press. In a similar way to how Sven was treated despite getting to quarter finals and losing on penalties/ a lucky free kick having played much better football in three tournaments.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England don't have the players and they definitely don't have the manager.

for the 1st time in a long time im gonna say the players are more of a problem than the manager, roy didnt do a lot wrong IMO

He's horribly limited IMO, not a manager who should be working at the so called top of the game IMO.

i dunno, i think we are almost as close as we will ever get to the penny dropping that the players are shit rather than the manager

i took this tournament as a case of roy assessed our strengths and our weaknesses very quickly and didnt have time to turn anything around so simply played to our strengths

if the WC qualifying campaign followed a similar pattern of awful football with absolutey no progression then my opinion of him would change

Biggest mistake was prob having Rooney - he was poor again and unfortunately for England his easy goal against Ukraine glossed up his rather shite performance

My Utd-supporting friend thinks he's overrated, prolific goalscorer yes but not much more.

Pirlos performance tonight was one of the most impressive individual performances I have ever seen. He has now overtaken Ronaldo as my player of the tournament.

As for Ashley Young, he is definitely not world class. Same old story with England.

Biggest mistake was prob having Rooney - he was poor again and unfortunately for England his easy goal against Ukraine glossed up his rather shite performance

My Utd-supporting friend thinks he's overrated, prolific goalscorer yes but not much more.

one of my friends that supports United thinks he is a terrible footballer with a awful touch who is lucky though he loves Berbatov :D

for the 1st time in a long time im gonna say the players are more of a problem than the manager, roy didnt do a lot wrong IMO

He's horribly limited IMO, not a manager who should be working at the so called top of the game IMO.

Of course Prandelli (Italy), Low (Germany) and Bento (Portugal) have had glittering managerial careers before they got the national job didnt they? Del Bosque has at Spain, but he is just continuing the work of Luis Aragones who had a solid but unspectacular managerial career and had done **** all for ten years before winning with Spain in 2008.

It's not about hoping some amazing manager is going to come in and wave a magic wand. Yes, you need a competent coach but the most important thing is to have the players and England do not have the players and it's been like that for years.

At our absolute strongest we have probably only had a core of five or six great players and we have always had one or two problem positions going back as far as I can remember. Our rivals have been able to name twenty great players so they havent had the problems of a shallow squad like we have.

country with the population and money of England shouldnt be relying on such a small pool of top class footballers but we do.

It's not Roy Hodgson's fault that he has been unable to turn around decades of under investment (or more specifically money being spent on the wrong things) in two months. He had his work cut out for him coming into this tournament and unless he fails to qualify for WC2014 and Euro 2016 I'd keep him in the job for the next four years at least.

Great in Defence, No idea going forward! I did not expect anything so not that fussed but one question although he is a great keeper has Joe Hart ever saved a penalty???? From memory Milner bagged against B-lose at Villa Park in a 1-0 win against him and i remember watching a ridiculous penalty shoot out for the under 21s when we lost something like 17-16 and i dont think he saved one then either! All that pre match talk about not practising pens and if it goes to pens we have trust in Joe Hart seems a little stupid now!

What is it with England and penalties?

I still think 2006 was Englands best chance to win a trophy because there was no outstanding team in world or european football at that time.

one question although he is a great keeper has Joe Hart ever saved a penalty?

He has saved 4 and conceded 14 before tonight.

He saved 1 (Swansea) and conceded 4 (Liverpool x 2, home & away in the league cup, Chelsea & Wolves) last season.

it sums up the lack of technique, IMO you should go in to johnny wilkinson mode, if you hit the side netting no keeper is saving it, its pure practice, obviously what pirlo did is a very different skill, but there is a place in the net that if you hit it the best kepper in the world isnt getting to it and if they are as good as they make out they should be able to hit it, same dedication as a golfer but it doesnt work that way

2002 was the year IMO brazil were there for the taking, fifa cheated decent team out of it in favour of korea and germany in the final were poor

one question although he is a great keeper has Joe Hart ever saved a penalty?

He has saved 4 and conceded 14 before tonight.

He saved 1 (Swansea) and conceded 4 (Liverpool x 2, home & away in the league cup, Chelsea & Wolves) last season.

Thanks for that you can always rely on this place to know everything! not a bad record then!

Tbf he only came in at the last minute.

Judge him on how we perform at the 2014 World Cup (assuming we qualify.)

one of my friends that supports United thinks he is a terrible footballer with a awful touch who is lucky though he loves Berbatov :D

One of my friends who supports Man Utd... nah, I don't make friends with Man Utd supporters.

My goodness me i thought i was watching McCleish's Villa tonight! Absolutely shocking display of giving the ball away constantly & parking the bus.

How we did not lose that game in normal time only the Italians will know!..

I have to say too that i just cannot believe the continuous over hyping of the simply awful Mr Wayne Rooney!.. What on earth does that guy have to "not" do to get a bit of criticism? It's now years since i actually saw him have a half decent game for England & yet listening to the media you would think he was Lionel Messi! :shock: .. I watched & counted & in the first half he was appalling & barely any better in the second apart from one or 2 very brief touches & the Penalty he scored...About 8 times from ten he failed to find his man & that was with simple 5 to 10 yard passes which a 5 year old could make!

Baffling :?

Hodgson has us so well organised that I don't see many beating us over 90/120, just a shame Rooney/Carroll/Young/Walcott lost the ball everytime they touched it. Diappointing end, but expected once it went to ET.

My goodness me i thought i was watching McCleish's Villa tonight! Absolutely shocking display of giving the ball away constantly & parking the bus.

I have to say too that i just cannot believe the continuous over hyping of the simply awful Mr Wayne Rooney!.. What on earth does that guy have to "not" do to get a bit of criticism? It's now years since i actually saw him have a half decent game for England & yet listening to the media you would think he was Lionel Messi! :shock: .. I watched & counted & in the first half he was appalling & barely any better in the second apart from one or 2 very brief touches & the Penalty he scored...About 8 times from ten he failed to find his man & that was with simple 5 to 10 yard passes which a 5 year old could make!

In the past 4 seasons he has almost 100 league goals. Quite impressive dont you think?

In the past 4 seasons he has almost 100 league goals. Quite impressive dont you think?

He's world class for Man U but just doesn't cut it from England.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â