Eurovision Song Contest 2012

hogso

More predictable than the voting is the wailing from the English media that comes after a competition they supposedly don't care about.

An amusing comment yesterday claiming Sweden only won because they are part of a Scandinavian/Northern Europe voting block, conveniently forgetting to mention that Norway, presumably also part of this block, came last.

Since the Ruskies split into 427 countries they all have to keep each other happy now. As bad as the political voting used to be, it's ten times worse now. And now that all the countries are allowed to sing in English (rather than their spoken language) Ireland is at a huge disadvantage :) Basically we're never winning it again.

Since the Ruskies split into 427 countries they all have to keep each other happy now. As bad as the political voting used to be, it's ten times worse now. And now that all the countries are allowed to sing in English (rather than their spoken language) Ireland is at a huge disadvantage :) Basically we're never winning it again.
But from Ireland's point of view, this is a good thing. The cost of staging it is crippling. Greece and Spain were shitting themselves that they might win.

I can see it becoming a sort of slow bicycle race in future, with countries entering songs they think will have no chance (arguably some do this already), and the block voting rigged to try and get your rivals to win.

Of course, the Azeris have oil money, so they'll probably volunteer to have it every year.

Ireland is more about tourism as a percentage than most other countries are, so anything that helps the image of the country is disproportionately important. Plus having won it 7(?) times before, we can host it in our sleep. Not that we'll be doing it any time soon :)

I think it's hard to deny that the political voting has a bit of an effect. May not always decide the outcome, but the voting for your buddies and neighbours is tedious (and sometimes unintentionally hilarious - Croatia gave Serbia douze points, they were at war in effect less than 20 years ago!). For example Greece could put up a track consisting of a surly man shitting his insides out after some shifty taramasalata and Cyprus would give it 12 points.

The Yuogslavia and the USSR falling apart only made it all the worse.

I don't really care about it, in all honesty, everyone in the UK and I imagine Ireland has treated it as a joke for years now, it would just be funnier if the punchlines weren't so predictable.

Yeah ironically Greece and Spain are probably 2 of the others not covered by 'most'. They don't have the love affair with the Eurovision that Ireland has enjoyed though.

Sweden won.

The funniest was Turkey who clearly had the worst song by a mile coming about 5th or 6th overall :lol:

Well I wouldn't say it was the worst. It was quite quirky but the strange dancing didn't help.

I was surprised Iceland did so badly - it was a bit like two songs bolted together, but not bad in that sort of Gothic Wagnerian folksong vein.

And Denmark with that Sheryl Crowe-alike song. Not brilliant, but way better than some of the ones that finished high up.

The gothic moany whiny vote went to Albania Mike. That's what buggered up Iceland. I did think Iceland was very absurd, which is exactly the way an Icelandic song should be. Cuz they're all mental (in a good way).

The funniest was Turkey who clearly had the worst song by a mile coming about 5th or 6th overall :lol:

It was not the worst! It was good. Funny though, yes I agree. The way they made that boat thing and then nodded their heads in time to the music/to simulate the motion of the ocean...glorious.

The gothic moany whiny vote went to Albania Mike. That's what buggered up Iceland.
But the Icelandic one was actually quite nicely melodic. The mad Albanian woman was seriously out there. Which I must admit, I rather liked.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â