Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

is career record of 1 goal in every 4.5 games really that bad of a record considering he has been at best average in last 6 years and played a good amount of games for Villa on the wing

Same ratio as Heskey

Heskey scored 9 goals in 92 games for us. :rolleyes:

40 goals each at Leicester and Liverpool before 2004 when he was only 26 so he really ceased being a clinical top level striker when he moved to SHA and the demand there was just to hold the ball up and bring others into play. Wonder who that manager was....:lol:

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I wasn't blaming the managers, Gabby's always been too comfortable here and his conduct in 15/16 was disgraceful.

Was just saying from that list it's too easy to say he should've scored 100 goals as he's been here forever when only Benteke, Yorke and possibly Dublin would've achieved it from our list.

I just think he might have a bigger impact on this season than people are imagining particularly if Hogan continues to look ill suited in our set up. Kodjia as our number one and Gabby to turn back the clock nicking goals coming off the bench and putting in good shifts in away games is my prediction. Hogan to score 4 goals off his backside against Burton and QPR.

Yes then you look at the goals per games compared to the legends. Gary Shaw if he hadn't have done his knee at Forest would have scored 250 goals in the games Gabby has played. The touch of a magician Shaw had. Could have been of the worlds greats

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes then you look at the goals per games compared to the legends. Gary Shaw if he hadn't have done his knee at Forest would have scored 250 goals in the games Gabby has played. The touch of a magician Shaw had. Could have been of the worlds greats

Oh my gosh - where have you been all my life :-)  -  I've said the same thing about Shaw all my life - if Gabby had just a tenth of Shaw's ability he would have become a player 

• Like 1

I can't wait for him to retire so I can remember him for all the times he made me happy. The goals against sha, the winner at old Trafford and my personal favorite, his very first step over at Villa Park.  I celebrated that step over like a goal.15/16 made it very hard to think any kind thoughts about him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Who was better in their prime?

Gabby or Darius?

I was a big fan of Darius but he did miss a lot of chances. 

Gabby easily imo but then Vassell usually played pretty well for England to balance it out a bit.

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Gabby or Darius?

Gabby for me, I might be cut down for my opinion but I think Darius got much better service than Gabby has for most of his career. 

I'm not saying he hasn't let himself down but for the last few years in PL he was just a part in what were pretty average teams.

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Gabby or Darius?

Both quick players who relied on their pace and perhaps weren't the best finishers given a clear chance. Gabby had a big advantage in the air over Darius which gives him the nod for me.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Gabby, Darius or Julian (Joachim)? 

Joachim was quite a good super sub first few years here then had a brilliant season in 98/99, got a big new contract and did little afterwards while also falling out with Gregory. He didn't leave us on the greatest of terms (we swopped him for Hadji IIRC).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Joachim was quite a good super sub first few years here then had a brilliant season in 98/99, got a big new contract and did little afterwards while also falling out with Gregory. He didn't leave us on the greatest of terms (we swopped him for Hadji IIRC).

Joachim had some ability to be fair, you'd never seen Agbonlahor score a goal like the first goal in this game:

5 hours ago, Hornso said:

Both quick players who relied on their pace and perhaps weren't the best finishers given a clear chance. Gabby had a big advantage in the air over Darius which gives him the nod for me.

Darius had a far better touch and should have been better than  he actually was. For me Darius was the better footballer but Gabby has had the better career.  But to be fair we are not talking about Villa greats here, the same with Joachim. 

Edited by PaulC

5 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Sorry but they are/were both very poor imo 

In their prime?

You'd describe both Gabby and Vassell in their prime as very poor?

If so then you really need to stop your hatred of Gabby clouding your judgement. You're harsh on him these days even though, for the most part, you are right that he is useless.

But nobody can say a prime Gabby Agbonlahor was "very poor". That's just rewriting history.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Darius Vassell was comfortably the worst finisher I have ever seen at VP, just edging Carthorse Cole and Savo.

You obviously never watched Garry Penrice from the Holte.  Showing my age :D

• Like 1

My fondest memory of vassell was against bolton, about 2005 I think sat in the holte end, bolton mislaid a pass to vassell who run at goal unchallenged then got 1v1 with the keeper and shinned it straight at the keeper.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â