Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

When MON was the manager, Gabby would always be working the channels, and it was really effective, specially on the counter attack. He doesn't seem to do it as much anymore, whether that's down to him or the manager i'm not sure. 

Another thing I'd like Gabby to do (this is not his fault) is to stand on the half way line when defending corners! It would drag a few of their players back and would provide us with an excellent out-ball. We were playing a team who went down to 10 men recently, might have been Leicester, and when we were defending the corner we had every man in the box. This allowed all of them to come into our half. If Gabby stands on the half way line in that situation, 2 or 3 players would have to hang back.   

• Like 3

That's a good point, but I'm sure that would be down to coaching rather than a choice Gabby has to make. 

I'd argue against the point that he doesn't run the channels though, he does in games where there is space behind their defence, but he can't if their defence is sitting on their 18 yard box, inviting us to break them down - which at the moment is a good tactic against villa, as we haven't got the flair and creativity to break good defences down.

• Like 1

Oh yeah it's definitely Lambert's decision. It just seems pretty obvious to put Gabby on the half way line given his pace. 

It's quite rare that you see teams defend corners with every man in the box, we seem to do it though. Guess I shouldn't complain too much as we don't concede anywhere near as many corners as we did 3 years ago. But it does seem a bit strange. 

But the problem with Gabby is when he can't use his pace against teams who do sit back like you said, there's little point in him really being on the pitch. He just doesn't influence a game like that enough which requires movement and passing ability. It's these games where we could do with Grealish or Cole playing instead. 

lapal is talking some sense

what i would add is that despite half of our own fans not rating him fortunately a fair few managers do, a lot of teams will set their defensive line to his pace, meaning that they will play deeper, in theory freeing up space in the middle of the pitch, which we now have beneteke dropping in and plucking balls out of the air, if we had ever got that proper number 10 of the last 5/6 years then he could have played in the space that the line creates

and then if teams dont set up to play deep, like arsenal, we can counter them, id guess (as in i think but i have nothing to back it up) that 1 of the main reasons we do well at the emirates is because wenger plays a high line ignoring our pace

Gabby definitely has his uses for us, primarily the ability to win throw-ins and corners at the other end of the filed when we lump it up or clear our lines. Whether this is enough to justify him in our team is up for debate - but as far as I can see that's his best strength for us. 

When do we get to hear the result of the appeal?

We could certainly make more use of his speed, keeping him up at corners as previously mentioned, running the channels, etc., but I do think he should be used more sparingly, in particular circumstances where these abilities can be utilised, and also as a sub against tiring defences.

That Bardsley tackle on Hazard yesterday was way, way worse than gabby's challenge on young. He got a yellow, which was fair, no way should Gabby have got a straight red.

It's a shame we didn't have 11 men until 90 mins as I think we could have maybe sneaked another goal, but we reacted in the best way possible to the red; mainly by taking the game to man u and not panicking.

• Like 1

Never in doubt. 

Does anything happen to a ref when these decisions are reversed? A poor decision that could have lost us the game, surely the ref deserves some sort of punishment.

If the idiot hadn't been so desperate to send him off, he may have taken a deep breath and thought about it for a few seconds and saved himself the embarrassment.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â