Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Its a petty childish celebration anyway, score a goal every 4-5 months and then go around shhhing everyone like you're the dogs danglers. Laughable.

Of all the things to criticise him for, his goal celebration is a bit irrelevant. It has no baring on how he plays or whether he is good enough for us.

When he used to score more often, it was a good celebration, as it frustrated the opposing fans. He's probably just used to doing it now.

Yea it definitely isn't that important but it still makes me laugh.

I'm willing to give Gabby one more chance to see what he can do under a decent manager with hopefully some decent players.  He was good enough when he was playing alongside the likes of Carew, Young and Downing, and playing for a pair of managerial turds like McLeish and Lambert who are two of the worst managers we've ever had can't be easy.  He's played out of position for most of the season, in front of a truly dire midfield in a team with no discernible motivation or tactics.

Has he been really playing out of position, he hasn't played regularly as a centre forward for a long time now, probably after Bent got injured at Wigan for the last two months of the McLeish season and he was as poor then as he was now.

He is a wide striker now in my eyes who certainly like Weimann shouldn't be starting every single week for us.

• Like 2

Despite his goal yesterday I feel that he can easily be replaced by better quality, I wouldn't mind him being around as a squad player but then his wages are far too high for him to not be a regular. Overall, he should be sold this summer, he's just not very good.

If you ever watch him when we're trying to pass the ball around the box (which we actually somewhat different against swansea), he just stands there watching it go across. No attempt to move off his defender a little bit or trying to make a run. He just stands there until it might become a cross and then grapples with the defender for a bit for position.

Silly to think he's our highest paid player.

• Like 1

I don't see him as much of an asset, in fact as an asset he's someone who is depreciating pretty rapidly, once his pace goes he will have absolutely nothing to offer because he has no technical ability or football brain. 

The fact is that he hasn't really performed consistently for this club for a long time, and despite his statistics, in this game form is everything, which is why he is paid so handsomely. 

I think he's at the end of the road. 

• Like 1

It's strange that people are talking about Gabby as someone with something to prove in order to have ever been considered a player, or as someone who's never 'made it' - this is a player that statistically matches up with a player like Brian Little in terms of goals and appearances - now that's not me saying that he's as good a player as Brian Little, but it seems odd to me that we talk about Gabby as if he's some young kid that needs to prove he can make it, but at the same time he's our 7th highest goalscorer since world war two - there's something disrespectful about the way we treat him sometimes.

He's limited in a lot of ways and incredibly gifted in others, he's been successful because he's always argued with those limitations, I think he can be again.

He's had a very poor season, he's affected by injuries, sure, but he's not played well and I'd be surprised if he's not very aware of that. He looks to me like a player that could do with a kick up the arse, a bit of a challenge, something to get him focused - he has had it easy in terms of the challenge for a place for a little while and he has been able to get away with being an automatic pick for the last couple of seasons - we need to change that, and if we do, I think it'll benefit him as well as us.

I think a focused, fit Gabby is a huge asset for the football club.

Little had retired by Gabby's age. Of course i am not suggesting Gabby should do the same and I think you are right. When Gabby is in the mood he is an asset. We need more options up front. He can't start every game.

I think he's at the end of the road. 

He might be, it can't be ignored as a possibility - I don't think he is, and I think more importantly in terms of the way this thread has gone, I hope he's not.

What's odd (to me) is that if he is, shouldn't that be a little tragedy of sorts, shouldn't we be eulogising and celebrating the career of one of our finest servants, shouldn't we be sad about it?

All we've got instead is a procession of people telling us he's never been a footballer and he's garbage - as I said, it seems oddly disrespectful.

• Like 1

I think saying that he is one of our finest servants is going a bit too far. He's occasionally brilliant, often frustrating but ultimately loyal to the club. His lack of work rate recently has been getting on some supporters' (mine included) nerves as I think we expect more from him, especially when the club is in turmoil.

The question is would you prefer Gabby shipped out on loan because of his massive wage and keep Darren Bent in the squad, or vice versa where Bent is gone? Gabby has been far too anonymous for far too long, and I can't help but feel that if the roles were reversed Bent would have contributed a lot more than Gabby for the money!

He might be, it can't be ignored as a possibility - I don't think he is, and I think more importantly in terms of the way this thread has gone, I hope he's not.

What's odd (to me) is that if he is, shouldn't that be a little tragedy of sorts, shouldn't we be eulogising and celebrating the career of one of our finest servants, shouldn't we be sad about it?

All we've got instead is a procession of people telling us he's never been a footballer and he's garbage - as I said, it seems oddly disrespectful.

He's our current pantomime villain.

We've always managed to find one when things aren't going well (which, sadly, means we've had plenty of practice lately). And while it's not always our long serving players, Gabby does find himself in decent company:

- Clark

- Petrov

- NRC

- Hendrie

It's strange that people are talking about Gabby as someone with something to prove in order to have ever been considered a player, or as someone who's never 'made it' - this is a player that statistically matches up with a player like Brian Little in terms of goals and appearances - now that's not me saying that he's as good a player as Brian Little, but it seems odd to me that we talk about Gabby as if he's some young kid that needs to prove he can make it, but at the same time he's our 7th highest goalscorer since world war two - there's something disrespectful about the way we treat him sometimes.

He's limited in a lot of ways and incredibly gifted in others, he's been successful because he's always argued with those limitations, I think he can be again.

He's had a very poor season, he's affected by injuries, sure, but he's not played well and I'd be surprised if he's not very aware of that. He looks to me like a player that could do with a kick up the arse, a bit of a challenge, something to get him focused - he has had it easy in terms of the challenge for a place for a little while and he has been able to get away with being an automatic pick for the last couple of seasons - we need to change that, and if we do, I think it'll benefit him as well as us.

I think a focused, fit Gabby is a huge asset for the football club.

I like Gabby, there is something amusing about him, but he has always been inconsistent, and the good runs he has every season are getting shorter.

He should no longer be anything more than an impact sub, as I do not think any team can be expected to `carry' a player just for sentimental reasons.

If we had decent strikers of the standard that we need, Gabby would not be on the teamsheet.

I think Gabby should use his pace more,he should run with the ball into the 18yd box more often.I am sure we would get something from that.After all, defenders cant just let a player with the ball get that close to goal.

One last point.I think that as this is our 3rd season in a row under a crap manager it could be that ALL the players are getting worn down ( the same as the supporters are ) and not performing as good as they can.

I think Gabby should use his pace more,he should run with the ball into the 18yd box more often.I am sure we would get something from that.After all, defenders cant just let a player with the ball get that close to goal.

One last point.I think that as this is our 3rd season in a row under a crap manager it could be that ALL the players are getting worn down ( the same as the supporters are ) and not performing as good as they can.

Yes, but they can do something about it.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â