All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

1 hour ago, peterw said:

Surely the onus is on you (or those that believe in a soul) to prove it. I can't disprove that Muhammad flew on a winged horse but I'm not the one making that claim. I can't disprove that that Jesus turned water into wine, or was raised from the dead. However, I'm not the one claiming that the natural order of things has been suspended for my benefit. I'm not saying there is a God or isn't a God, or whether there is a soul or not, but the burden of proof of a claim of something being in existence or not is on that person making the claim? You say there's a soul? Where's your evidence? Belief is not evidence - its simply that. Subjectivism is another word to describe it.

As you say though, each to their own.

I’m accepting that those that say they don’t have a soul are correct. I’m not forcing a soul on them.

I’m not demanding others believe I have a soul.

I’m passive in this, why do I have to do anything? Shirley it’s those with an agenda to try and change or challenge the opinion of others to come up with their workings out, evidence, and reasonings? You can’t use the argument that dust doesn’t have a soul so therefore I don’t. As far as I’m aware space dust doesn’t have an awareness of self or feel love, but somehow that happens. 

46 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m accepting that those that say they don’t have a soul are correct. I’m not forcing a soul on them.

I’m not demanding others believe I have a soul.

I’m passive in this, why do I have to do anything? Shirley it’s those with an agenda to try and change or challenge the opinion of others to come up with their workings out, evidence, and reasonings? You can’t use the argument that dust doesn’t have a soul so therefore I don’t. As far as I’m aware space dust doesn’t have an awareness of self or feel love, but somehow that happens. 

Of course if you have no skin in the game and don't care either way that then you do not have to do anything you're absolutely right. However, when anyone offers an opinion it will be challenged which is healthy (as long as done respectfully) and that is how a civilisation begins. People with ideas that become transformative, and push us further as an advanced piece of space dust, are the cornerstone of who we are. You say you have a soul - I say prove it - you say you can't and don't want to, then fine. But it adds nothing to any debate, theological or scientific, if a claim cannot be checked and supported, or checked and dismissed.

Edited by peterw

7 minutes ago, peterw said:

Of course if you have no skin in the game and don't care either way that then you do not have to do anything you're absolutely right. However, when anyone offers an opinion it will be challenged which is healthy (as long as done respectfully) and that is how a civilisation begins. People with ideas that become transformative, and push us further as an advanced piece of space dust, are the cornerstone of who we are. You say you have a soul - I say prove it - you say you can't and don't want to, then fine. But it adds nothing to any debate, theological or scientific, if a claim cannot be checked and supported, or checked and dismissed.

I get what you’re saying, but that argument is a bit of a sixth form gotcha for some on here. 

How do I prove I have a soul? Well, I guess it’s what gets me through bothering to be alive. I can feel it. If I accept I’m temporary and inconsequential and I’ve also got a bit of a shit life, perhaps a wholly ‘logical’ person would see a rather final way out of that predicament? But there’s a spark that pushes you on. I don’t know, I’m riffing and that’s not a great example. How do you prove any sort of ‘feeling’? Can we prove love? We can prove people stick together for 60 years but is that love or convenience or a lack of ambition?

I genuinely think on this one particular subject that I’m just comfortable enough in my own skin to know what works for me. 

It’s like with music prizes. There are logical music prizes based on certain measurable metrics. This one sold the most, this one made the most money, this one won a vote off on twitter, etc.. But those aren’t always the best are they? Sometimes a best song can be a flawed commercial disaster on the topic of cheese. How do you prove that’s your personal prize winner?

Tldr: ‘feels’

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I get what you’re saying, but that argument is a bit of a sixth form gotcha for some on here. 

How do I prove I have a soul? Well, I guess it’s what gets me through bothering to be alive. I can feel it. If I accept I’m temporary and inconsequential and I’ve also got a bit of a shit life, perhaps a wholly ‘logical’ person would see a rather final way out of that predicament? But there’s a spark that pushes you on. I don’t know, I’m riffing and that’s not a great example. How do you prove any sort of ‘feeling’? Can we prove love? We can prove people stick together for 60 years but is that love or convenience or a lack of ambition?

I genuinely think on this one particular subject that I’m just comfortable enough in my own skin to know what works for me. 

It’s like with music prizes. There are logical music prizes based on certain measurable metrics. This one sold the most, this one made the most money, this one won a vote off on twitter, etc.. But those aren’t always the best are they? Sometimes a best song can be a flawed commercial disaster on the topic of cheese. How do you prove that’s your personal prize winner?

Tldr: ‘feels’

Yeah but are you Super Bad?

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah but are you Super Bad?

I did at one point try to have a fanzine and a persona on the socials called Super Loose, but it looked too much like Super Loos. Which was not the vibe I was looking for.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Soul.

I was "not alive" for several million years.  It wasn't good or bad.  It was nothing.  

As I live I collect molecules from other things to make me.  

When I die I will return to that state of "not alive."

My molecules will leave me to become new stuff. 

I started with nothing and will end with nothing.   

The missing verse from Dust in the Wind 

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â