All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Forget about the bible for a minute and imagine god outside of the bible . A god of truth. It’s said by many that Jesus would be appalled at the state many churches we see today. 

What does a "god of truth" do that simple "truth" doesn't cover?

If you are going with this name, I'm curious why the bible starts with a story about how god lied.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You think? Get out of this:

The church claims that God is omnipresent, omniscient and omnipresent. Which is fair enough a premise, as without all that he'd be somewhat imperfect, and not much of a god. 

If he's omniscient, he knows everything that's going to happen, so us having free will can't be true. If we've got free will, the future cannot be known. So he can't be omniscient. 

And he sees all the destruction and suffering that this brilliant plan of his continues to unleash. He's supposed to be kind and loving - but he does nothing about it. Either he could, and chooses not to - in which case he's a proper shit - or he can't - and he's not omnipotent. 

And don't give me the 'moves in mysterious ways'/'the plan is not for us to know' cop out. 

I do believe there are certain paths already set out for us. I’m not saying that is Gods will but it’s something isn’t it? 

As for the destruction etc etc why should god fix it all ? Should mankind be accountable for his actions. If you want a loving caring relationship with god you can have it and that’s the beauty of it. 

The bible is just a set of stories and rules that apply to a time long ago.

It should play no part in modern society.  I cringe when I hear people using the Bible to back up their views on homosexuality.  The Bible allows slavery, sexism and murder. 

God in the old testament is clearly not the same God in the new testament.  The old God killed millions and tortured his own followers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

What does a "god of truth" do that simple "truth" doesn't cover?

If you are going with this name, I'm curious why the bible starts with a story about how god lied.

I own a couple of bibles but I’m not going to sit here and say it’s gods word because I think it’s far from it.  Because God is the truth?

Just now, Mandy Lifeboats said:

God in the old testament is clearly not the same God in the new testament.  The old God killed millions and tortured his own followers. 

I'm not sure that's true. Depending on which iit of the New Testament you are reading, God and Jesus are the same or they are different. Jesus is a different character in each gospel, almost a Marvel character in John. He's not even a person to Paul, just a vision. And the book of revelation was a prophecy of the end of Rome (Nero was the Beast).

The god of the Old Testament is just as confused for the same reason. Earlier myths blended into something that makes no sense. The thunder god parts clash with the mountain god parts. The loving god clashes with the jealous god. God as the source of objective morals is thoroughly immoral against his own standards.

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I own a couple of bibles but I’m not going to sit here and say it’s gods word because I think it’s far from it.  Because God is the truth?

Read the 17th sentence (Genesis 1:17)

I know of a couple of people and one of them in particular I get on with and both have said they have experienced the presence of Michael the Archangel. I believe them why shouldn’t I and their stories of what happened is truly wonderful . Just think about that for one minute and ask yourself if that did actually happen then we have a wonderful moment of what is actually out there . 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

people ... have said they have experienced the presence of Michael the Archangel.

I know people who say they can speak in tongues and they actually believe it.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Go outside and have a look about . Then sit down and be present in the presence. 

And ... bit more specific and less vagaries please.

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

I know people who say they can speak in tongues and they actually believe it.

Those who get possessed may have the ability to do that and yes I believe in possession .

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 

Yep keep changing the translation until it is a vague reflection of reality ... in what way is it a vault?

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

Yep keep changing the translation until it is a vague reflection of reality ... in what way is it a vault?

A vault is an archway that covers something 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Evil spirits and powers or even the devil himself. 

So the Christians who believe they can speak in tongues are possessed by evil in some way. Interesting. Yet they believe it is a demonstration (not demon) of their special Godliness. Go figure. 

How do you know you are right and they are wrong?

3 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

So the Christians who believe they can speak in tongues are possessed by evil in some way. Interesting. Yet they believe it is a demonstration (not demon) of their special Godliness. Go figure. 

How do you know you are right and they are wrong?

I associate it with possession of some sort. I’m not saying anyone is wrong I’m just saying what MY belief is . You don’t believe in god or the devil, that’s fine by me.  I do believe. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â