All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

It bore a passing resemblance to a painting that the nutty appear to think was a photograph of an actual event

It bears no resemblance to the actual story in their good book any more than it does to me sat in the school canteen aged six

Are people never to use straight long tables as a cat walk ever again?

Well, the first thing I thought  seeing it quite idly was "oh, that looks like the Last  Supper" (the painting, just to be clear, not the actual event of course - that had unicorns too). The subsequent outrage is hilarious. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Well here we go again, IT WASNT THE LAST SUPPER

It was pagan gods on Mount Olympus, based on a famous painting, the central (blue) character was Dionysus, the Greek God of celebration

The scene was inspired by a painting not Da Vinci's The Last Supper but Jan van Billert's "The Feast of the Gods"

Had missed this earlier. VT as ever a goldmine of interesting information.  Looking at the painting, there are superficial similarities with the Last Supper -  would be very interested to know to what extent these might have been deliberate, but the painter is sadly no longer  available for interview. The timing and nationality may be relevant however (Dutch, Protestant, age of enlightenment). 

Reading about him in a very cursory way, one of his other works was Venus pleading with Adonis not to go hunting, which - bit of a leap here - has echoes of Mary Magdalene with Jesus in Gethsemane.  

12 hours ago, bickster said:

It bore a passing resemblance to a painting that the nutty appear to think was a photograph of an actual event

It bears no resemblance to the actual story in their good book any more than it does to me sat in the school canteen aged six

Are people never to use straight long tables as a cat walk ever again?

And at that time, in that part of the world, people didn't eat sat on chairs at a table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

And at that time, in that part of the world, people didn't eat sat on chairs at a table.

Indeed, IKEA only came to that part of the world in 2001. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

You can’t know that unless you’ve been to every lunch.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just spoke to the local priest who lives top of our road . Him and his partner  are in a glorious mood having just heard the news that the shroud of Turin is real and that of Jesus. Definitely one of those moments which it was a joy to be apart of and share their joy in the street. His partner is baking a vanilla sponge and lemon muffins today to celebrate and has promised to drop some in for me and the kids. Job done 👍

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Jesus was/is a good man that cannot be denied. 

No idea, wasn't there.

You can't take literature at face value in the 21st Century. The Bible's a mishmash of garbled nonsense.

• Like 1

Just now, Xann said:

No idea, wasn't there.

You can't take literature at face value in the 21st Century. The Bible's a mishmash of garbled nonsense.

Wether you believe in a god or not historical evidence points to the existence of Jesus and his teachings are peaceful . How do you know it’s nonsense if you weren’t there? 

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How do you know it’s nonsense if you weren’t there? 

I wasn't, but some of the content was lifted from preceding civilisations.

Then it's been totally edited. Lilith was the first woman on Earth in the unabridged bible.

There is some decent content in there. Great flood, yes. Ergot, yes,  but attributing it all to a supernatural deity is just nonsense.

GettyImages-10123466-331195472.jpg.7911b5db3b42369b8ab19d9fe29ec6c8.jpg

This guy reckons a rainbow snake created the World, and his civilisation precedes the Biblical creation by factors.

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Of course he existed. I think even the staunchest atheist will admit that. 

You'd be surprised. The evidence of a historical 'Jesus' is pretty shoddy, and most of the refusal to combat it seems to come down to people being polite and weighing whether it truly matters if a singular, actual bloke that matches the non-supernatural touchstones of 'his' life actually existed. 

The likelihood is he's a composite character of various radical preachers, none of whom are individually relevant, and got mashed together after the fact as a foundation of an organically growing radical religious spin off.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xann said:

I wasn't, but some of the content was lifted from preceding civilisations.

Then it's been totally edited. Lilith was the first woman on Earth in the unabridged bible.

There is some decent content in there. Great flood, yes. Ergot, yes,  but attributing it all to a supernatural deity is just nonsense.

GettyImages-10123466-331195472.jpg.7911b5db3b42369b8ab19d9fe29ec6c8.jpg

This guy reckons a rainbow snake created the World, and his civilisation precedes the Biblical creation by factors.

A rainbow snake? That’s just utter nonsense and story telling.  

Im aware of similarities regarding stories from other civilisations. I struggle to see how people cannot get their  head around a supernatural power.  The afterlife is supernatural and I’m as convinced as I can be that is real. I suppose all will be revealed. 

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â