All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Left out of politics, yes, but what I mean is the link between those on the right being… maybe “more likely” to have a faith?

Maybe not though. 

Speaking for my country, I don’t believe that is true. I do believe that those on the right definitely are more overtly public about it, are far more likely to implement said faith into policy, and far more likely to push religious tenets in what is an allegedly secular society 

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder if a significant part of that is that in modern Britain, the young are less and less religious, and more likely to be lefties, and so the correlations are between age and politics, and age and religion, rather than a direct link between politics and religion.

Hmmm I'm not so sure. Speaking for my atheist old self, the separation of church and state is something I want and that goes to the fundamentals of what I see as my version of democracy. It underpins the whole political system in the UK and from my POV it quite obviously shouldn't.

Religion is even massively allowed to indoctrinate the young in schools, religion aided schools are a fundamental wrong in my book.

We need to start at the very bottom and remove enforced religion from every aspect of governance.

Until that point religion / politics will be tied together and I do think there's a corelation in this country between left / right and religious and not, regardless of the age aspect.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Until that point religion / politics will be tied together and I do think there's a corelation in this country between left / right and religious and not, regardless of the age aspect.

Religions often align with conservative politics. They don't like change as their magic books can't change. They don't like the cognitive dissonance that a creator of the entire universe chose such a stupid mechanism to communicate their narcissism.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

It's even subtle things like singing hymns and doing a quick prayer at the start of assembly etc. I went to an ostensibly Christian primary school for a few years and while there weren't specific lessons about Jesus or anyone proletysing, the small things do all still feed into Christianity being the "normal" thing. 

It's not a huge thing imo, but ideally they'd just stop all of that and make education purely secular.

100% this. I have a particular bee in my bonnet about religious preschool nurseries. Yes, they exist. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder if a significant part of that is that in modern Britain, the young are less and less religious, and more likely to be lefties, and so the correlations are between age and politics, and age and religion, rather than a direct link between politics and religion.

its strange isn't it .. the young are easily radicalised by a lefty teacher , yet somehow the church can't do the same job on them ... sandal wearing teachers are more powerful than sandal wearing sons of carpenters   .... perhaps we need to start a new religion ,  the disciples of the NEU could build  a church to them , if they can be bothered to get out of their tent on campus protesting on the Palestine cause that they don't' understand but got brainwashed into :P 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

its strange isn't it .. the young are easily radicalised by a lefty teacher , yet somehow the church can't do the same job on them ... sandal wearing teachers are more powerful than sandal wearing sons of carpenters   .... perhaps we need to start a new religion ,  the disciples of the NEU could build  a church to them , if they can be bothered to get out of their tent on campus protesting on the Palestine cause that they don't' understand but got brainwashed into :P 

Who was a son of a carpenter? The whole story really didn't catch for you did it? :mrgreen:

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

Who was a son of a carpenter? The whole story really didn't catch for you did it? :mrgreen:

was he the son of a tool maker  :) 

I think I watched Jesus of Nazareth as a kid with my mum as she had a crush on Robert Powell at the time , but that's about the extent of my religious teaching  

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

was he the son of a tool maker  :) 

I think I watched Jesus of Nazareth as a kid with my mum as she had a crush on Robert Powell at the time , but that's about the extent of my religious teaching  

He was the son of God. That's kind of the entire point of the religion. Perhaps you were sick that day :mrgreen:

God was a fairly minor deity in the pantheon and Judaism became monotheistic because of (a story about) his falling out with his missus.

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

He was the son of God. That's kind of the entire point of the religion. Perhaps you were sick that day :mrgreen:

God was a fairly minor deity in the pantheon and Judaism became monotheistic because of (a story about) his falling out with his missus.

God was his biological father  , but they lived in enlightened times  :)   Joseph was the legal father of Jesus , the gospels themselves often refer to Jesus as a carpenters son and the son of Joseph 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Are they? 

Nah, they're born kind, compassionate and caring, then the cruel cynical world wears some of them down until they're 7 or 8 and think all the toys are theirs and the other kids should pull themselves up by their bootstraps, like tony ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Are they? 

you only need to see the youngster on VT to know they are :D 

but the usual caveat applies that one shouldn't read my posts literally , they are always written with a tongue firmly planted in cheek  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Nah, they're born kind, compassionate and caring, then the cruel cynical world wears some of them down until they're 7 or 8 and think all the toys are theirs and the other kids should pull themselves up by their bootstraps, like tony ;)

For Christmas , my parents used to give an empty box and tell me it was an action man deserter , of course I'm gonna steal someone else's toys  :) 

• Haha 1

Did any of you have anything to do with the mocking of the last supper in Paris ? Shameful really that organisers thought it’s ok . Luckily I think they might be safe this time. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Did any of you have anything to do with the mocking of the last supper in Paris ? Shameful really that organisers thought it’s ok . Luckily I think they might be safe this time. 

I think most of us were busy mocking the people getting their nickers in a knot because they didn’t know the difference between the Bacchanalia and The Last Supper. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

What's wrong with mocking religion?

Although as @choffer points out you are claiming offence on behalf of the wrong religion,

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Surely all the offended Christians should just forgive them? That's part of their 'thing' isn't it? 😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

the disciples of the NEU

Is this a bunch of splitters from the Church of Kraftwerk?

Is every disciple of the wider movement a Plank?

• Haha 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â