All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

1 minute ago, limpid said:

Something is wrong when adults believe things are true because it makes them feel better.

I'd rather believe in things that are demonstrably true and say "I don't know" when I don't know.

It's not their fault though. This thing has been programmed into us for centuries. 

• Like 1

I went through a very brief religious stint over xmas. Trying my hardest to stay clean, and trying to find some higher power to latch into. I couldn't see the woods for the trees, because I had that higher power right Infront of me, my kids. Anyway, I bought my wife this beautiful crucifix necklace with Jesus on it. I also bought it this gorgeous Virgin Mary ornament, which opens up and shows Jesus, and some other stuff. It really is a beautiful piece. I thought about going to church too. That's passed now, although I'd never disregard the meaning of those things that I bought my wife. 

I remember when my gran was at deaths door. She was really poorly, and the nurse told us, how she was still alive they don't know. Anyway, her mind had already gone, and her body was ravaged by years of fighting cancer, and the awful treatment that keeps  you alive. She was not religious at all, but in her last days she said that Jesus kept visiting her. None of us believed it then, or now, but it's as if the brain is designed to accept this thinking of an higher power when in times of struggle. 

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I really am in love with it. Not for religious purposes, but just for its beauty. There is some beautiful artwork in religion. 

You should be careful possesing idols if you think you might be Christian. Or picking up sticks on Saturdays.

You could cherry pick the bits of Christianity that you like and ignore the truly evil things the God of the Bible does. But then, could you call yourself Christian?

6 minutes ago, limpid said:

You should be careful possesing idols if you think you might be Christian. Or picking up sticks on Saturdays.

You could cherry pick the bits of Christianity that you like and ignore the truly evil things the God of the Bible does. But then, could you call yourself Christian?

I'm well aware of the evil things done in the name of religion, whether it be Islam, Hindu, Christianity or whatever.  It seems like religion was created to cause war, and an excuse to do terrible things. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm well aware of the evil things done in the name of religion, whether it be Islam, Hindu, Christianity or whatever.  It seems like religion was created to cause war, and an excuse to do terrible things. 

I didn't mention things done in the name of anything, just the evil things the God of the Bible does in his own book.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/01/2018 at 09:10, Rugeley Villa said:

I went through a very brief religious stint over xmas. Trying my hardest to stay clean, and trying to find some higher power to latch into. I couldn't see the woods for the trees, because I had that higher power right Infront of me, my kids. Anyway, I bought my wife this beautiful crucifix necklace with Jesus on it. I also bought it this gorgeous Virgin Mary ornament, which opens up and shows Jesus, and some other stuff. It really is a beautiful piece. I thought about going to church too. That's passed now, although I'd never disregard the meaning of those things that I bought my wife. 

So your wife is more religious than you are...  I'm in the same position. Mine is a very devout Catholic, I'm just a poor lapsed Anglican. I still believe in God though, and go with her to Mass because she wants me to and because I do get something out of it even if much of it irritates me. I don't think I could ever convert because there's some important stuff I can't buy into, I'm still searching really. I would encourage you to do the same.  Don't be put off by the snipers on here.

5 hours ago, BigJim said:

So your wife is more religious than you are...  I'm in the same position. Mine is a very devout Catholic, I'm just a poor lapsed Anglican. I still believe in God though, and go with her to Mass because she wants me to and because I do get something out of it even if much of it irritates me. I don't think I could ever convert because there's some important stuff I can't buy into, I'm still searching really. I would encourage you to do the same.  Don't be put off by the snipers on here.

Not really, no. She's very spiritual. I went through, and I'll use this term lightly, a religious period a few months back. I believe in the power of Christ, and I also believe in the devil. 

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I believe in the power of Christ, and I also believe in the devil. 

When you say that you 'believe in the power of Christ' do you mean you believe he actually exists and has influence over our lives, or did you mean you believe that people are very influenced in their actions due to their belief in him?

(genuinely interested by the way Ruge)

13 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

When you say that you 'believe in the power of Christ' do you mean you believe he actually exists and has influence over our lives, or did you mean you believe that people are very influenced in their actions due to their belief in him?

(genuinely interested by the way Ruge)

I believe he did exist. I think it's more the latter, where people are influenced by their belief in him. I don't think he's influences our lives physically. We make and decide our own paths in life, and if anything he's nothing more than a guide for some people. Christ, and the entity that is god have the power to fight off evil, hence why they are used against demonic forces, and in rare cases of possession. There is definitely good and evil in the world, just how the bible describe it. 

• Thanks 1

How many people have prayed in their life? I prey sometimes. Not down on my knees, but I'll prey for my kids, and for my family. I still do the sign of the cross on my sons head, and say god bless when he's asleep sometimes. Don't know why it's only him I feel the need to do it on, but I've never had the urge to do it with my daughters, and never have. 

The writings of Raymond Davis, Eddie Hazel and George Clinton are worth studying on this.

Open up your funky mind and you can fly
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within

Freedom is free of the need to be free

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How many people have prayed in their life? I prey sometimes. Not down on my knees, but I'll prey for my kids, and for my family. I still do the sign of the cross on my sons head, and say god bless when he's asleep sometimes. Don't know why it's only him I feel the need to do it on, but I've never had the urge to do it with my daughters, and never have. 

and eff all happens I'll wager

53 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm living a godless life, when all the things I believe in should point me to god. 

What? What do you believe in that should point you towards religion? I'm just trying to imagine what actually points people towards irrationality and the completely illogical?

• Like 1

Â