All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

For those who enjoy talking about that sort of thing.

Keep it in here to avoid annoying people in General Chat, Things That Piss You Off, etc., etc.

I'll start:

I'll bet God really hates me for not believing in him. Discuss.

Rename this the All-Purpose Atheism Thread?

But then we;d also need an "All Purpose no tooth fairy thread" and an "All Purpose no Loch Ness Monster thread". Let's stick to what we have.

• Like 4

For those who enjoy talking about that sort of thing.

Keep it in here to avoid annoying people in General Chat, Things That Piss You Off, etc., etc.

I'll start:

I'll bet God really hates me for not believing in him. Discuss.

Rename this the All-Purpose Atheism Thread?

But then we;d also need an "All Purpose no tooth fairy thread" and an "All Purpose no Loch Ness Monster thread". Let's stick to what we have.

Hey, it's your site. If that's how it has to be, that's how it has to be ...

Anyone want to discuss the Yoruba religion? Anyone know someone (or someone who knows someone) who has practiced it in some form?

The only thing I know about it is that it is related to voodoo. I suspect it's designed to reinforce the power of an elite through indoctrination, magical thinking and unfounded belief in authority. It probably has some pretty art.

• Like 3

Anyone want to discuss the Yoruba religion? Anyone know someone (or someone who knows someone) who has practiced it in some form?

The only thing I know about it is that it is related to voodoo. I suspect it's designed to reinforce the power of an elite through indoctrination, magical thinking and unfounded belief in authority. It probably has some pretty art.

When I was working at the university I once had a conversation with two (female) Nigerian students. One of them was trying to convince me that voodoo really worked (and not just via suggestion). Her mate, to her credit, looked highly embarrassed - rolling her eyes and shaking her head in my direction.

• Like 1

So, no. Thank you.

So, no. Thank you.

No pretty art? Surely that in the eye of the beholder?

When I was working at the university I once had a conversation with two (female) Nigerian students. One of them was trying to convince me that voodoo really worked (and not just via suggestion). Her mate, to her credit, looked highly embarrassed - rolling her eyes and shaking her head in my direction.

And another aphorism completed for your coming Portrait of a Young Atheist, soon to be available on Amazon.no.gd ...

So, no. Thank you.

No pretty art? Surely that in the eye of the beholder?

I have a feeling it also offers some pretty attractive rewards in the afterlife.

So, no. Thank you.

Please don't put words into my mouth. I'm happy to discuss it, I just don't know much about it.

I have a feeling it also offers some pretty attractive rewards in the afterlife.

I suspect it's a reincarnation belief rather than an afterlife considering its age.

Yoruba is quite interesting in terms of the afterlife. I did a bit of reading on it while studying Soyinka. Can't remember much now, though.

Helpful post #3229

I don't even know if I can grasp that there IS an afterlife as much as a sort of set of parallel universes running right beside ours, which is ironic because that could actually be sort of ... true ... cf multiverse theories, etc.

Where were you studying Soyinka? 

And another aphorism completed for your coming Portrait of a Young Atheist, soon to be available on Amazon.no.gd ...

Eh? [emoji53]

Eh? [emoji53]

Hey, your emoji isn't showing up for me, but I'll guess it's one that complements a nice, proper "Eh?" I just meant that you seemed to be making a terse, pithy, aphoristic observation that reflected your time as a young non-believer. Sort of that? I guess my dart missed the scoring area! ;-)

Eh? [emoji53]

Hey, your emoji isn't showing up for me, but I'll guess it's one that complements a nice, proper "Eh?" I just meant that you seemed to be making a terse, pithy, aphoristic observation that reflected your time as a young non-believer. Sort of that? I guess my dart missed the scoring area! ;-)

Well, yes. Except for the "young" bit!  :) 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Â