All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Religion - a belief in a fiction based on nothing more than faith

Government - a belief in the authority of a fiction based on nothing more than faith

Money - belief in value of a fiction based on nothing more than faith

anyone see a pattern

George Michael?

Just goes to show that everyone is an atheist to a degree .

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts

• 2 months later...

I have a friend from Denmark who travels alot due to his work, it would be difficult to name a country he hasn't visited.

He told me a funny story about when he visited Nigeria, He met this swedish guy there who was 6.5 feet tall with blonde hair and blue eyes and he was walking around alone in one of the most dangerous places in the country.

So one nigerian walked up to him and said "What are you doing walking around here all by yourself,are you out of your mind, there is a huge risk of you getting murdered any time"

And the swede replied" Iam fine, i have a body guard"

Nigerian asked"Body guard? What body guard ? i dont see any body guard"

Swede"No you cant see him cause he is invisible"

Instead of laughing at him and thinking he was crazy, the rumor spread that this tall blonde guy had an invisible body guard, and people started to fear him and looked at him like he was a messiah or something  :crylaugh:

Instead of laughing at him and thinking he was crazy, the rumor spread that this tall blonde guy had an invisible body guard, and people started to fear him and looked at him like he was a messiah or something  :crylaugh:

Considering the thread we are in, "messiah" is the wrong word. A "messiah" is a saviour and that doesn't fit your context.

Considering the thread we are in, "messiah" is the wrong word. A "messiah" is a saviour and that doesn't fit your context.

Maybe he wasn't a messiah. Just a very naughty boy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm guessing this is the right thread to put this in...

A father of a 20-year-old girl let his daughter drown, stopping life guards from rescuing her.

He preferred that his daughter die rather than she be touched by a strange man, according to a top official.

Speaking to Emirates 24|7, Lt. Col Ahmed Burqibah, Deputy Director of Dubai Police’s Search and Rescue Department said that this incident took place at a beach in Dubai.

“This is one of the incidents which I cannot forget.

“It shocked me and many others who were involved in the case.

“The Asian father took his wife and kids to the beach for picnic and fun.

“The kids were swimming in the beach when suddenly, the 20-year-old girl started drowning and screaming for help.

“Two rescue men were at the beach, and they rushed to help the girl.

“However, there was one obstacle which prevented them from reaching the girl and helping her.

“This obstacle was the belief of this Asian man who considered that if these men touched his daughter, then this would dishonour her. It cost him the life of his daughter.”

Lt. Col. Burqibah added that the father of the girl did not want the rescue men to touch his daughter as they were strange men.

“The father was a tall and strong man. He started pulling and preventing the rescue men and got violent with them. He told them that he prefers his daughter being dead than being touched by a strange man.”

He pointed out that this delay and fight with the girl’s father cost the girl her life. She drowned.

“She died unfortunately, at a time when she had a chance to live, especially that the rescue men were so close to her to pull her out of the water.”

Lt. Col. Burqibah added that the girl’s father was later arrested by Dubai Police for stopping the rescue team from saving his daughter’s life and doing their job.

“He was prosecuted and sued by the concerned authorities.”

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/dad-let-daughter-die-rather-than-be-touched-by-strange-rescuer-2015-08-09-1.599613

Even the local Emirati's are stunned by this. Unbelievable.  :o

What makes you think it was about religion? It probably was, but the story doesn't say it was.

To be fair, I did open saying that I guessed it could be the correct thread. I can't think of another explanation short of actual insanity why a father could think that being touched by 'strange men' in the act of being rescued could lead to his daughter being dishonoured. I may have made a leap, but I believe it to be a fair one.

• Like 1

Imagine over 500 years ago in medieval India a person started to teach people that men and women are equal, there is no such thing as class or caste and all people are of equal status, widows are allowed to re-marry., superstitions and magic is all false, people must always help people in need. These are just a few of the things that in the modern day we see as common sense but to say these things in the era in the particular region must have been pretty far fetched.

What makes you think it was about religion? It probably was, but the story doesn't say it was.

To be fair, I did open saying that I guessed it could be the correct thread. I can't think of another explanation short of actual insanity why a father could think that being touched by 'strange men' in the act of being rescued could lead to his daughter being dishonoured. I may have made a leap, but I believe it to be a fair one.
Religious reasons, or "actual insanity"?

Same thing, mate.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

For those who enjoy talking about that sort of thing.

Keep it in here to avoid annoying people in General Chat, Things That Piss You Off, etc., etc.

I'll start:

I'll bet God really hates me for not believing in him. Discuss.

Rename this the All-Purpose Atheism Thread?

• Like 1

Â