All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

i watched a documentary once that said outside of the Bible ( and our friend Josephus etc) there was no evidence of Pontus Pilate having existed ....

and then they unearthed evidence that he had indeed existed .... I thought ( from memory ) in Libya but wiki seems to have it as Israel

The evidence to which you refer is evidence that someone called "...ntius Pilatus" existed in Judea and was possibly a prefect, probably around 30BC (when the temple the stone was part of was built). It's not evidence of anything else.

When they were making up the stories, they used historical figures for added believability.

i watched a documentary once that said outside of the Bible ( and our friend Josephus etc) there was no evidence of Pontus Pilate having existed ....

and then they unearthed evidence that he had indeed existed .... I thought ( from memory ) in Libya but wiki seems to have it as Israel

The evidence to which you refer is evidence that someone called "...ntius Pilatus" existed in Judea and was possibly a prefect, probably around 30BC (when the temple the stone was part of was built). It's not evidence of anything else.

When they were making up the stories, they used historical figures for added believability.

I still have it in my mind that the show i watched was at Leptis Magna in Libya and was proper evidence ... But blowed if I can find anything on the web ... Maybe I dreamt a documentary !!!

Edit : Thinking more about it the documentary was relating to Tiberius and the link to Pilate came through records of Tiberius ??

Edited by tonyh29

... But blowed if I can find anything on the web ... Maybe I dreamt a documentary !!!

Edit : Thinking more about it the documentary was relating to Tiberius and the link to Pilate came through records of Tiberius ??

Tacitus was a drinking buddy of Josephus, is that who you're thinking about?

... But blowed if I can find anything on the web ... Maybe I dreamt a documentary !!!

Tacitus was a drinking buddy of Josephus, is that who you're thinking about?

Tiberius as in the Roman Emperor around the alleged time of Pilate  ... think it was coins that Pilate had commissioned when Tiberius was Emperor that they found , but like i say i'm working on something i'm sure I watched and my brain filed away  but I appear to have imagined as  I've not found anything on the web to back me up,  when in theory it should be easy !!

My dreams usually involve Mila Kunis , a room and lots of duct tape .. so I'm sorta convinced I didn't dream it though :wacko:

Did the documentary also feature dinosaurs? On a spaceship?

Maybe it did

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/cm/b/bronze_coin_of_pontius_pilate,.aspx

http://www.harvardartmuseums.org/art/322100

Of course the British Museum and Harvard may be dating the coins and adding a known name to the date so one could argue it doesn't prove Pilate was real , but equally it could , just could be external evidence ?

Maybe it did

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/cm/b/bronze_coin_of_pontius_pilate,.aspx

http://www.harvardartmuseums.org/art/322100

Of course the British Museum and Harvard may be dating the coins and adding a known name to the date so one could argue it doesn't prove Pilate was real , but equally it could , just could be external evidence ?

But the temple from which the stone tablet was found was ordered to be built in 30BC by Herod. The British Museum says that Pilate was "prefect" in 26AD. So he was blumin old by the time he was recalled to Rome in 36AD. Like I said, Pilate was almost certainly an (in)famous person and his name was used to improve believability when they made up the stories of Jesus.

I'm not Catholic but to be fair to Ratzinger it was compulsory for people his age to join the Hitler Youth by the mid 1930s in Germany.

and also, it was compulsory for members of the cult to cover up the crimes of their co-workers while being subsidised by taxpayers the world over.

Maybe it didhttp://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/cm/b/bronze_coin_of_pontius_pilate,.aspxhttp://www.harvardartmuseums.org/art/322100

But the temple from which the stone tablet was found was ordered to be built in 30BC by Herod. The British Museum says that Pilate was "prefect" in 26AD. So he was blumin old by the time he was recalled to Rome in 36AD. Like I said, Pilate was almost certainly an (in)famous person and his name was used to improve believability when they made up the stories of Jesus.

I could have saved myself (and you ) a lot of time had I read your first post properly ... I think we actually started from the same pov on Pilate ..... D'oh .... I errrrrrm blame tiredness or Thatcher whichever is easiest

I'm not Catholic but to be fair to Ratzinger it was compulsory for people his age to join the Hitler Youth by the mid 1930s in Germany.

and also, it was compulsory for members of the cult to cover up the crimes of their co-workers while being subsidised by taxpayers the world over.

I wasn't defending him, just pointing out that his membership of the Hitler Youth can't really be held against him.

This is more about me being pedantical about history than it is about me defending the Catholic Church.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

I had no choice in supporting the Villa, but I am dyed in the wool, a true believer etc.

Just because it was compulsory to join doesn't mean he hasn't got Blood and Honour tatooed on him.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â