All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

59 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Did any of you have anything to do with the mocking of the last supper in Paris ? Shameful really that organisers thought it’s ok . Luckily I think they might be safe this time. 

Well here we go again, IT WASNT THE LAST SUPPER

It was pagan gods on Mount Olympus, based on a famous painting, the central (blue) character was Dionysus, the Greek God of celebration

The scene was inspired by a painting not Da Vinci's The Last Supper but Jan van Billert's "The Feast of the Gods"

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

Dionysus, the Greek God of celebration

Greek Gods - they're not real, right?  Like those Norse Gods - they're not real either. If you live in the UK, then there's the Christian one that's deemed the real one, or if your heritage is from another part of the world, perhaps it's one of those ones from India or the Middle East or wherever that's real, but only one of them - the others aren't real either. So which one(s) are real depends on your lineage, basically. I'll go with the majority collated human population view, I think, in the absence of any evidence that any of them are real, and that's that none of them are real.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Greek Gods - they're not real, right?  Like those Norse Gods - they're not real either. If you live in the UK, then there's the Christian one that's deemed the real one, or if your heritage is from another part of the world, perhaps it's one of those ones from India or the Middle East or wherever that's real, but only one of them - the others aren't real either. So which one(s) are real depends on your lineage, basically. I'll go with the majority collated human population view, I think, in the absence of any evidence that any of them are real, and that's that none of them are real.

Local gods are real. Like mods on VillaTalk.

:detect:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

God was his biological father  , but they lived in enlightened times  :)   Joseph was the legal father of Jesus , the gospels themselves often refer to Jesus as a carpenters son and the son of Joseph 

So you’re saying God was a deadbeat dad 

50 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

So you’re saying God was a deadbeat dad 

I doubt he even sent him so much as one  Christmas card :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bobzy said:

Also realised as I’ve typed this out that I’m referring to “white” beliefs and left/right rather than, say, Asian communities which are much more likely to be heavily religious and mixed politics.

Practicing Muslims and Jews are extremely socially conservative.  Maybe there’s some variations from an economic perspective but on social issues, they would be closer to the right.

I’ve always thought the far right and Muslim extremists would make ideal bedfellows if only they understood each other better.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I’ve always thought the far right and Muslim extremists would make ideal bedfellows if only they understood each other better.

Q. How do you confuse an EDL supporter? 

A. Tell him that Muslims hate gays. 

• Shocked 1

6 hours ago, choffer said:

I think most of us were busy mocking the people getting their nickers in a knot because they didn’t know the difference between the Bacchanalia and The Last Supper. 

In fairness,  while it was meant to be that, it did bear more than a passing resemblance to the Last Supper, but that's  to be expected given how Christianity has pinched so many stories and characters from classical mythology (Jesus/Adonis, gods and saints etc). I would know more if I hadn't  lost two copies of the Golden Bough  while reading  them, but I will get on to the third copy once the children are a bit older and my brain returns  a little. 

1 hour ago, one_ian_taylor said:
8 hours ago, choffer said:

In fairness,  while it was meant to be that, it did bear more than a passing resemblance to the Last Supper,

It bore a passing resemblance to a painting that the nutty appear to think was a photograph of an actual event

It bears no resemblance to the actual story in their good book any more than it does to me sat in the school canteen aged six

Are people never to use straight long tables as a cat walk ever again?

1 hour ago, one_ian_taylor said:

In fairness,  while it was meant to be that, it did bear more than a passing resemblance to the Last Supper, but that's  to be expected given how Christianity has pinched so many stories and characters from classical mythology (Jesus/Adonis, gods and saints etc). I would know more if I hadn't  lost two copies of the Golden Bough  while reading  them, but I will get on to the third copy once the children are a bit older and my brain returns  a little. 

Don’t forget Mithras 

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

It bore a passing resemblance to a painting that the nutty appear to think was a photograph of an actual event

It bears no resemblance to the actual story in their good book any more than it does to me sat in the school canteen aged six

Are people never to use straight long tables as a cat walk ever again?

You should see the comments section over at The Athletic article on this whole kerfuffle 🙄

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

16 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

You should see the comments section over at The Athletic article on this whole kerfuffle 🙄

I think I'll pass :D 

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

was he the son of a tool maker

My Dad was a toolmaker at Lucas's

9 hours ago, limpid said:

What's wrong with mocking religion?

I thought it was compulsory.

How did I miss the revival of this thread?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â