All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

23 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I haven't been branded Excommunicado by the Vatican yet so I'm still on the books.

Technically, so am I. Baptised Catholic as a baby. Without my consent. 

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 12:23, MaVilla said:

tbh i thought it was fairly well accepted that jesus existed, i cant quote sources, but im fairly sure there is a reasonable amount of evidence relating to it.

I suppose the genuine debate for me, isnt whether he existed or not, but whether he was what was claimed.

Personally i have no doubt he was a person who existed (in the pure human sense).

The OG con-man.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I wonder how many on here have read up on what the issue is.

Probably not that many, I’ve only explored it on a surface level. I’m not saying they’re wrong to complain, by the way. That’s their prerogative. 

On 08/06/2022 at 20:49, chrisp65 said:

I wonder how many on here have read up on what the issue is.

I have  but to be honest its irrelevant  .. we don't have any blasphemy laws in the UK  so there are no grounds to pull the film on that reason.

its essentially a Shia v Sunni argument ,the protestors might have had more grounds had they said it was inciting hatred perhaps , but protesting because it portrays some people who have been dead nearly 1500 years in a  poor light and it offends you  .. nope not how things work  , or at least they shouldn't 

that cineworld have said the pulled the film for the safety of their staff suggests threats have been made , we live in a world where you can be investigated  and arrested for making verbal threats on twitter , so presumably the people making these threats on camera  have also been investigated and will soon be spending some time at her majesties pleasure  ?

• Like 4

On 11/06/2022 at 01:02, tonyh29 said:

I have  but to be honest its irrelevant  .. we don't have any blasphemy laws in the UK  so there are no grounds to pull the film on that reason.

its essentially a Shia v Sunni argument ,the protestors might have had more grounds had they said it was inciting hatred perhaps , but protesting because it portrays some people who have been dead nearly 1500 years in a  poor light and it offends you  .. nope not how things work  , or at least they shouldn't 

that cineworld have said the pulled the film for the safety of their staff suggests threats have been made , we live in a world where you can be investigated  and arrested for making verbal threats on twitter , so presumably the people making these threats on camera  have also been investigated and will soon be spending some time at her majesties pleasure  ?

This saddens me. And I don't take to sadness much these days. 

The essence of your post here just makes me all the more aware that the focus on why we're divided is heavily prevalent, and not honed on why we might be able to see beyond that narrative.

"Not everything faced can be changed, but nothing is changed until it is faced."

I feel for Islam. I think we in the West don't want to know about it because we've lost touch with our own spirituality, and our relationship with religion is something we'd be better off without, the sooner we've rid of that part of our history the better seems to be the underlying message from atheists and anyone who takes issue with the religious institutions. 

I kind of admire Islam and Muslims for wanting to protect the connection between us and spirituality alive. Again, why must we focus on the divide, and not hone in on the potential for good? I don't, never have, and never will belong to any religious institutions. I don't subscribe to anything I'm not confident is in my best interests, or the interests of others.

I do however, feel like faith might be the most important element to our survival. 

Sometimes I wonder if the religious institutions have been corrupted to the core so that we as a people no longer value our faith, as we lose touch with anything that resembles the truth that the most evil and unthinkable acts are committed in the name of what's meant to be the best among us, God.

It's 6am here and I've barely slept. It's a topic riddled with misconception, and misconstrued meanings. With that in mind best I leave it for now. 

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

the issue is when the zealots take over , these people protesting don’t speak for the vast majority of Muslims , these people are the ones that cause divisions , they should be what sadden you 

I’m pretty sure that there’s an element of status seeking, or status maintaining in the actions and motives of the leaders of these protests, too.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

These "zealots"as you call them.Cause all sorts of trouble everywhere.I lived in Calcutta and everything was great until a few decided that the British should be thrown out.Look at India now.I also lived in New Zealand and that was a really great place to be as well,until a few Maori people decided that they were not recievibg the hings they should be intitled to.In the 1990s heaps upon heaps of people came to Australia from New Zealand because of this.So, these types of people ( whatever you call them ) Zealots,do-gooders etc cause more problems than they solve.

tbf in India they were pushing for their  independence , I can understand and respect that  .. the  protestors here aren't repressed people fighting for freedoms , they are fighting to impose their will against these freedoms , in doing so they are denying everyone else an opinion , a choice .. and I'm against that .

I'm not going to be writing to Cineworld or boycotting their cinemas , but I do believe they shouldn't have caved in the way they did 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Tbh I’m not really sure how to read your post , are you saddened that I’ve criticised some religious zealots ?   

I’ve been to a lot of Muslim countries  , probably most of them thinking about it… the people Ive met are just like every other person I’ve met , we’ve shared drinks , sweets  ,life stores ; football stories and moaned about the weather and our governments .. I’ve been inside mosques , marvelled at works and wonders that Islam played a part in creating .. my direct experience with Islam and Muslims is nothing but positive 

the issue is when the zealots take over , these people protesting don’t speak for the vast majority of Muslims , these people are the ones that cause divisions , they should be what sadden you 

These "zealots"as you call them.Cause all sorts of trouble everywhere.I lived in Calcutta and everything was great until a few decided that the British should be thrown out.Look at India now.I also lived in New Zealand and that was a really great place to be as well,until a few Maori people decided that they were not recievibg the hings they should be intitled to.In the 1990s heaps upon heaps of people came to Australia from New Zealand because of this.So, these types of people ( whatever you call them ) Zealots,do-gooders etc cause more problems than they solve.

As far as I know,India got their independance in 1947 but the only started chucking us out in 1950.

Another of these cases where a hospital has gone to court to request permission to remove life support for a terminally ill child is likely going to be a big story again.

The kid was found unconscious at home and all signs point to his being brain dead, a ventilator is keeping his body alive. It's a horrible situation, but there's no benefit to the 'Christian Legal Centre' getting involved to draw out the pain and make their money, and while there's all sympathies for the family, the mother's words are 'until it's god's way I won't accept he should go'. Where it not for a machine, he'd already be gone.

45 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

As far as I know,India got their independance in 1947 but the only started chucking us out in 1950.

When you hear what the Americans did in 1776 you’re going to be **** furious!

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

When you hear what the Americans did in 1776 you’re going to be **** furious!

Switched from Tea to Coffee and that started their whole fall into the culinary dustbin?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â