Designer1

So, basically what you're saying is this game was out before it was finished?

Shocking?

The game is done and playable - there are guys in this thread that are playing it now, or have done this evening.

The problem appears to be that, as part of what they've largely refused to acknowledge as a anti-piracy measure, Blizzard, the developer,require the game to have an always on net connection to work, at all, regardless of whether you wish to access the multi side of things. That means that, if something goes wrong on Blizzards end, it doesn't work. When you spark up the game, it'll refuse to allow you to play it and throw out a load of error messages.

Now, any game with any net requirement, servers and all that, on launch gets hammered as loads of people try to log in or whatever. Even the best games creak under the stress of that. And Diablo is no different.

But it also looks like they've cocked something up on their end as well - they more or less disconnected the servers this evening to do 'maintenance' for 3 hours. If it was just the weight of stress on the servers, the problems people had would be rather more... intermittent than what they are. There would be more people getting lucky and getting through than what they seem to be, and there would be other associated problems for people, lots of drop out, etc etc.

Diablo would also appear to not be too heavily stressful on the servers. It's not like massive amounts of data are being shoved through them for each player, it should largely be fairly simple stuff for single player connections and anyone playing multi wouldn't be straining the servers like something like even WOW would to my knowledge. And while there would obviously be huge numbers of people trying to play (it had insane preorder numbers and is a very popular franchise and very anticipated), Blizzard should be aware to those numbers and prepared for it.

Then you've got a number of issues with installs and downloads... It kinda feels like they've dropped the ball rather a lot on a lot of basic stuff. The game itself, once you're through, is apparently fine, great even. The game itself isn't the problem then. It's the infrastructure. They've cocked up. Blizzard are big enough and smart enough and have enough experience of this lark to not make mistakes like this.

Wow. What.a.game.

Just played hour and a half with a couple of rl mates and it's stunning. Addictive gameplay which is so easy to get into. Fantastic stuff.

Installed it tonight after I got in from work. Logged in first attempt. No issues so far. Played some Monk. Great fun. Drama is ridiculous.

Here's my Battletag, feel free to add me: Sie#2766

On another note, I've got a Radeon 4850 graphics card and it keeps telling me that it isn't compatible or some rubbish when I launch the game. I have to hit escape. Minor thing, yet it gets rather annoying as you shouldn't really need to do that.

I believe my friend has the same card, he had to install a hotfix update specifically for diablo 3. But basically if your comp is good enough and you are having issues its time to update all the drivers.

I'll add you both when I pop on tonight. May not get many hours in over the next couple of days as I have a lot going on. Hopefully I can put an hour or two in tonight though. I want more time...

I'm only level 16 on my Barb at the moment. Taking my time and exploring every inch of the map. It really is a beautiful game.

Just finished Act 3 Nightmare now onto Act 4 then Hell

My barbarian had trouble scaling early act 2 was dying in a few hits but farmed some decent gear now i feel im ready for hell

Having to tank and take a sword and board though defensive talents

Just bought it. :nod:

Gonna see how it runs on the laptop as my desktop is still in pieces. The laptop has quite a bit of grunt though, Core i5 and 6gb of RAM.

It's really brilliant. The environments and character art work are wonderful. I had a nightmare with the beta but it runs loads smoother for me on the finished version. Things really start to heat up towards the end of act I and cut scene into act II is astonishing. Well done, Blizz :)

Well, I bought the digital version. Having more problems with this than I ever did with WoW or Starcraft. Took an age to download because "my PC appears to be behind a firewall" even though I have opened every port I needed to on my router and on the firewall. When it finally downloaded I got an Error 108, which is a corrupt file. So now I'm downloading it again. Seems that electing to wait until the inevitable server meltdown was over and done with hasnt caused me any less stress. PC gaming eh?

Which makes me feel like some kind of chosen one as so far, I've not had a single issue whatsoever. Not a single error on login, patcher worked without any problems, game installed without needing admin privileges, never been kicked due to a server issue. All is well.

I've just jinxed myself haven't I.

I had to delete individual files and re-download them to get the thing working, and then I got another error.

bEmzZl.jpg

This was the other error I got. Click for big if you cant read it.

Anyway, I finally got a couple of hours on it tonight and I'm quite enjoying it. Getting a rock solid 40 fps on my laptop (the desktop is still in pieces) and I have found that plugging my desktop keyboard into the laptop is more than comfortable. Now its just a case of picking the class for me so I have run the first hour a couple of times. Picked a Wizard first and I'm not really feeling it so then I went Barbarian which is a ton of fun and I am tempted to stick with that and go for some kind of AOE/cleave build. Just rolled a Monk and will try that next but even as I was creating the Monk I was thinking about just going back to the Barbarian.

Got my first legendary item and it's for a Demon Hunter. I'm convinced that I won't try a DH for a while so I'm going to try to sell it on the AH for ingame money. It's only a level 24 item so I'm not sure how much it will get (if I even get a buyer)...

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â