Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

How do the new rules mean Newcastle can spend anything they want?

That's not what's happened 

Problem is it's a bit complicated and people can't be arsed to look into the details so it's easier to just emote loudly about it. 

• Like 3

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Problem is it's a bit complicated and people can't be arsed to look into the details so it's easier to just emote loudly about it. 

can newcastle's owners even spend more than the £400bn that they already spent on the club since they bought them?

the scaremongering doesnt help with the very serious problems surrounding all of this and how IMO FFP isnt fair and should be scrapped in favour of a better system or different regulations that would improve football (squad wage caps, restricting loans etc etc)

• Like 1

I wouldn't rule out the power of the soon to be set up football regulator, it's very existence has stopped anything similar to the super league emerging. Perhaps all city's owners now need is a sizeable punishment from the league, and a capping of spending preventing them spunking all their money - why would they stay in the PL? 

The league is made up of its members, who all get to vote on matters of importance, and enough of them have voted in favour of prosecuting City on the evidence that has been presented to them for the current case to be pursued.

What for me is the surprising thing about the reaction to that is that initially it was clear that City were going to fight the last bit of the sentence - the evidence - even though the evidence, from what's in the public domain, is pretty damning. I would imagine that having already used CAS to overpower UEFA, City feel like they've got a shot at anything no matter what the evidence suggests and think they have the lawyering power to find a way in court - but they're not stopping there.

It's kind of becoming clearer that if that City are also going to be attacking the middle part of that sentence - the will of teams in the league to continue to prosecute them.

City's willingness to spend whatever it takes to fight the league in the courts, both on their main charges and on anything else they can find creates a financial imperative for the league to settle or attempt to find shortcuts to a decision in order to save money. The league are spending tens of millions of pounds fighting this, money that comes out of the TV deals and doesn't end up in the pockets of owners. If you're someone like Southampton or Ipswich, do you want to lose two or three million pounds a year paying lawyers to battle against a team that you're not really competing with on issues that don't massively affect you? If the opportunity to vote to get out of that fight, even if it means letting City off the hook lightly comes up, do you take it? City are pushing and testing for those it can influence - and I would imagine lobbying teams pretty hard in the background.

What was perhaps unexpected is that City seem to have decided that they're also going to attack the first part of that sentence - the way in which the league is structured and controlled. We''ve heard recent noises from both Manchester Clubs about enhanced representation for those that make most money and the 'tyranny of the majority', and City's public rejection of the league's summary of its own hearing adds to that hint I think. There are potentially eight teams that have the financial need to play in the Champions League and only four or five places - in days gone by, that made for exciting sport, but at a time when there are eight businesses fighting for five chunks of income, it instead fuels a need for reform. We've seen that through the addition of the extra Champions league place and in lots of smaller changes and pressures being exerted by the biggest teams, most obviously through the constant evolution of financial fair play rules. What I think we're starting to see is pressure from the top to remove the ability of Brentford, Crystal Palace and the like in restricting the ability of City and United doing whatever they want.

City, through their actions and the articles that those journalists that seem unexpectedly sympathetic to them are writing are hinting toward pushing for a restructure of the way the league works, with the potential for a Commissioner, and more power for those that generate more income at the top of the table.

It's essentially "that's not what the evidence says, but if you want to prove it it's going to cost you £100m, and if you look like winning that, you best be sure of the security of your authority to say so because it might cost you your future".

This has become something more than the prosecution of City for their many breaches of financial regulation, it's the UAE versus the Premier League for the future of the game in this country.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2024 at 21:44, villa4europe said:

For what?

There's no criminal charges against him or them 

Trumped up charges of theft from 19 other Premier League clubs (especially from us) in a kangaroo court will do…

Man City heads need to roll…

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I wouldn't rule out the power of the soon to be set up football regulator, it's very existence has stopped anything similar to the super league emerging. Perhaps all city's owners now need is a sizeable punishment from the league, and a capping of spending preventing them spunking all their money - why would they stay in the PL? 

Exactly… encourage them to f**k off to Saudi where they can spend whatever they like

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Trumped up charges of theft from 19 other Premier League clubs (especially from us) in a kangaroo court will do…

Man City heads need to roll…

You are going to be in for a major shock when you find out we are probably supporting them

I would be amazed at this point if the regulator makes much of a difference, or even happens imminently. The Tories seem to have started it up because someone somewhere was making money and they wanted some of it and because they saw it as a potential vote winner with the oiks. Labour don't seem to have any real need for it and won't want to scare the horses. I think it'll be parked for a little while and if it does come in it'll be a pretty diluted version of what was first proposed.

54 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You are going to be in for a major shock when you find out we are probably supporting them

Supporting them how though

If we are "supporting" in that we think the FFP rules are bullshit designed to protect the top table clubs who whore themselves out to bed and pillow partners and ultimately across the board as clubs chase more revenue it's fans who miss out and get charged more, Adidas wanting £90 a kit probably has a fair bit to do with villa wanting £30m for the privilege to manufacture them

FFP is **** shit, I support man city saying so, I want villa villa to say so too

I don't support city wanting a free for all, villa might who knows 

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Supporting them how though

If we are "supporting" in that we think the FFP rules are bullshit designed to protect the top table clubs who whore themselves out to bed and pillow partners and ultimately across the board as clubs chase more revenue it's fans who miss out and get charged more, Adidas wanting £90 a kit probably has a fair bit to do with villa wanting £30m for the privilege to manufacture them

FFP is **** shit, I support man city saying so, I want villa villa to say so too

This is a huge line in the sand for English football and we have been silent. By being quiet we are pretty much helping the ruining of the league instead of standing up. The team that helped set up the Football League

Nas and City are supposed be buddies as well

City need be punished severely, trophies taken off them and we do nothing. Financial restrictions are dead right for football, too many clubs gone to the wall

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This is a huge line in the sand for English football and we have been silent. By being quiet we are pretty much helping the ruining of the league instead of standing up. The team that helped set up the Football League

Nas and City are supposed be buddies as well

City need be punished severely, trophies taken off them and we do nothing. Financial restrictions are dead right for football, too many clubs gone to the wall

financial restrictions might be right, FFP and PSR aren't, there are several reasons why we would be on city's side here as opposed to say utd, liverpool and arsenal 

our time to be loud was Lerner when he first objected to it

and to try and throw our owners under the bus here is bollocks to be frank, Nas opened an office up in AD and somehow 2+2 =  he's a cheerleader for man city

Edited by villa4europe

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

But the issue is Man City manufactured the situation to give themselves a free for all whilst everyone else abided with and was constrained by the shitty FFP rules.

Edited by Wainy316

53 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

But the issue is Man City manufactured the situation to give themselves a free for all whust everyone else abided with and was constrained by the shitty FFP rules.

100%

that's why the book should be thrown at man city but that doesn't mean that the rules cant be looked at too

man city have cheated rules that are not good for football, punish man city, change the rules, they are 2 separate things

edit - and again, that goes back to Villa's "support" I think we want the rules changed, that doesn't mean we agree with city's cheating

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â