Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

On another note, I've been on holiday so I've only just noticed that the Premier League manager of the season was given to Pep

Absolute horse shit

Must be a different body but I saw online that someone had given manager of the season to Arteta… that’s equally bizarre.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dubai was already establishing itself as a tourist destination before Man City. But its exploded since and I'd guess Abu Dhabi has had much more exposure. F1 probably helped there also.

Ultimately, the appaling human rights records of the countries doesn't get as much relative coverage, and they start making money they otherwise wouldn't have. 

Ignorance is bliss for a lot of people, and for everyone person that learns more about the bad of the UAE, there are 10 more that don't and instead decide to go on holiday there because they've now heard of it. 

There's an argument that in doing this they may actually force themselves to do less in the way of killing innocent humans due to the increased exposure, so it may not be all bad. I don't subscribe to that view though. They're trying to fund their way off life and keep it going after the oil runs out. 

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Dubai was already establishing itself as a tourist destination before Man City. But its exploded since and I'd guess Abu Dhabi has had much more exposure. F1 probably helped there also.

Ultimately, the appaling human rights records of the countries doesn't get as much relative coverage, and they start making money they otherwise wouldn't have. 

Ignorance is bliss for a lot of people, and for everyone person that learns more about the bad of the UAE, there are 10 more that don't and instead decide to go on holiday there because they've now heard of it. 

There's an argument that in doing this they may actually force themselves to do less in the way of killing innocent humans due to the increased exposure, so it may not be all bad. I don't subscribe to that view though. They're trying to fund their way off life and keep it going after the oil runs out. 

easy to forget that "fly emirates" sponsored arsenal before man city got bought out by Abu Dhabi, they also then went on to sponsor hamburg, real madrid and AC milan

i still think tourism does more washing than football (and is why the saudi's will struggle) i've been to Dubai, the wife watching tik tok did more to encourage that than football

Claiming they are at a competitive disadvantage, yet have won 4 premier leagues in a row…

Can casually spend £100m on one player and use him as a sub… 

I mean I don’t think they are struggling to compete.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Claiming they are at a competitive disadvantage, yet have won 4 premier leagues in a row…

Can casually spend £100m on one player and use him as a sub… 

I mean I don’t think they are struggling to compete.

I did wonder what planet they were coming from with that. If any one is at a competitive disadvantage, it's all the clubs that followed the rules and don't have artificially inflated sponsorship deals. 

42 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I did wonder what planet they were coming from with that. If any one is at a competitive disadvantage, it's all the clubs that followed the rules and don't have artificially inflated sponsorship deals. 

That's why in part I don't think it's a great argument to win over the masses: "We are restricted from using unlimited funds to dominate this league.....that we have been dominating."

8 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

That's why in part I don't think it's a great argument to win over the masses: "We are restricted from using unlimited funds to dominate this league.....that we have been dominating."

I think that overall arrogance means that they’ve not won every single competition for the last six years

• Like 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

I think that overall arrogance means that they’ve not won every single competition for the last six years

They should argue that they're filing this lawsuit because they fear the potential unchecked power of a 60000 fan strong Birmingham City taking their rightful place atop the Premier League and thus this is a preventative measure to protect all of us, the clubs owned, operated, and supported by mere mortals, as opposed to the ubermensch of Small Heath.

People would respect that.

• Haha 3

A lot of this legal process is to drag it out for as long as possible, and that's exactly what they've done. The longer from the date of the incident, the less likely to be found guilty, it's natural human nature.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Eugh.

I really hope that’s media bollocks and the DM putting two and two together and making five. We need to stay away from this City campaign as it has all the PR implications of the super league times ten 

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It shouldn’t be surprising really. 

We have incredibly rich owners. They want to spend their money but FFP doesn’t let them

this.....it's not necessarily about us supporting City.

We want to spend but are not allowed to.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It shouldn’t be surprising really. 

We have incredibly rich owners. They want to spend their money but FFP doesn’t let them

They’re rich but they’re not Nation state rich. 

Our owners might be frustrated with the current rules but I can’t see they’d want to abandon them all.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

if its true and Nas is supporting City then I hope he leaves and never comes back. big IF

There’s nothing in the article to substantiate the claim though 

Â