Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

to be fair if it was villa then I don't think I would deny the charges or the cheating but I would 100% have a right old moan about what FFP is and who it benefits - I do that anyway

FFP is **** shit

there are 2 very large traditional clubs in English football who just so happen to have huge revenue streams and owners who don't want to spend their own money 

you'd do well to convince me that record high season ticket prices, cheese rooms, corporate area bolt ons, £100 football shirts and official pillow supply partners are better than a rich owner sticking his hand in his pocket

cheese room, come on fella 

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I still don't know any of their fans 

Hard to get angry or jealous or any real emotion towards them, it's complete apathy 

my mate who sadly passed away last year was a season ticket holder from the mid 70's onwards. Stopped going in 2015 as had enough of what his club had become and the people around him in the stadium, his exact quote was 'not for me' 

About times pundits started doing their job regarding this. 

Stop making it sound like it's the greatest achievement in the world when they win a trophy. 

Honestly, why bother participating in the competition? You might as well field 20 players every match. The rules don't matter.

Any "victories" off the back of this level cheating are entirely pointless.

I just don't get it.

28 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

cheese room, come on fella 

You think that kind of bullshit exists without FFP and the chasing of money?

The tunnel rooms, the lower rounds etc

All of that is squeezing every penny they can

To me the irony of FFP and the trying to control football finances is that there's now such an insane amount of money in football that you can argue it's getting out of control 

I'll throw this out there too - if city get FFP scrapped do you think their owners also reduce ST prices to make them more affordable? I think they do

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

About times pundits started doing their job regarding this. 

Stop making it sound like it's the greatest achievement in the world when they win a trophy. 

To many idoit pundits lauding them and Pep on how great they are.

• Like 1

Man S****y just trying to deflect and protect themselves.

They are wording this as though they have been oppressed or victims in some way which is actually UNBELIEVABLE. How can the richest team in the world with some of the best players in the world be oppressed? It's actually crazy the rhetoric by their statement and without any logic whatsoever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I still don't know any of their fans 

Hard to get angry or jealous or any real emotion towards them, it's complete apathy 

I think that the apathy about Man City and the grim inevitability of them winning everything is the worst aspect of this Abu Dhabi Sports Washing Project. Any team that achieves this kind of monopoly is bad for the sport, but to have done it while completely disregarding the rulebook (and then to have the nerve to say that the rules are discriminatory cos they stop them doing whatever they want!) just stinks. I hope that this legal action will make opposition fans more vocal whenever they play Man City from now on, rather than just meekly accepting defeat.

• Like 1

I wonder if we are the club supporting Man City? We are close to the FFP rules and we need to sell a key player by June 30th. Surely a change to the owner-sponsorship rules would benefit us?

On another note, I've been on holiday so I've only just noticed that the Premier League manager of the season was given to Pep

Absolute horse shit

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I wonder if we are the club supporting Man City? We are close to the FFP rules and we need to sell a key player by June 30th. Surely a change to the owner-sponsorship rules would benefit us?

Surely its Newcastle

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Surely its Newcastle

Perhaps but I think two state owned clubs would be too on the nose (they are also representing one perspective too). We are a club that has just finished 4th (within the rules) but now on the cusp of the ffp threshold and have to sell a key player.... the club are raising ticket prices to offset the shortfall too. Isn't Nassef a resident of Abu Dhabi too?

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'll throw this out there too - if city get FFP scrapped do you think their owners also reduce ST prices to make them more affordable? I think they do

I think they would, but that's down to the fact their owners aren't in it to make and money. They're in it to sports wash their reputation. 

And there in lies the real problem with the PL letting a state own a footbal club.

Edited by MrBlack

8 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I think they would, but that's down to the fact their owners aren't in it to make and money. They're in it to sports wash their reputation. 

And there in lies the real problem with the PL letting a state own a footbal club.

How does "Sports Washing" actually work?  Nobody is looking at City and Newcastle and thinking " wow, these countries are great now because a team I don't support won the Champions League".

Just now, duke313 said:

How does "Sports Washing" actually work?  Nobody is looking at City and Newcastle and thinking " wow, these countries are great now because a team I don't support won the Champions League".

It's not an overnight thing, but they'll start to get their countries and companies associated with the success of the teams. 

They'll start getting trade agreements off the back of their association with those clubs. I suspect in the case of City that the UAE have found many doors opened for them in the UK market that would otherwise have been closed. You could also say that now the UK Government have a conflict of interest when dealing with them because of the amount of money Man City generated for the tax man (and the wider UAE trade deals) risk being taken away by their owners if we do something they don't agree with (like try and kick them out the league).

On a personal level i guess the average person gets more familiar with those countries, starts seeing it as a viable holiday destination, starts going to that country and sustains their future GDP. Some see through it, but most won't care. 

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Win Champions League --> Sell more t-shirts --> Win more titles --> Suddenly everyone's wearing Man City shirts --> Casual sports fan associates Man City (and by extension whatever regime funds them) with prestige

7 minutes ago, legov said:

Win Champions League --> Sell more t-shirts --> Win more titles --> Suddenly everyone's wearing Man City shirts --> Casual sports fan associates Man City (and by extension whatever regime funds them) with prestige

I've never seen a single person in real life wear anything with a City logo on it.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Sportswashing is defined as individuals, groups, companies, or countries/regimes' involvement in sports to improve their own reputation and/or to distract from or normalize wrongdoing. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37915529/#:~:text=Sportswashing is defined as individuals,distract from or normalize wrongdoing.

The WC is a prime example of it. Qatar’s appalling human rights record, treatment of migrant workers, many of whom still await justice but FIFA acted like it was a totally normal thing. That’s the point

• Thanks 1

Just now, duke313 said:

I've never seen a single person in real life wear anything with a City logo on it.

Understandable, I assume you're in the UK. Over here on the other side of the world there's been an explosion of City shirts ever since they won the treble. It ain't all small kids either.

Â