Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my tin hat on...

What would the general consensus be if it were the Villa instead of man 115y having cheated their way to every trophy in the last decade or so?

Would we be all defensive like man 155y fans and deny it all and wallow in the false glory and entitlement?

Just wondering....although I would love us to win stuff, personally I would be a bit uneasy and a tad embarrassed that the success was achieved by fraudulent means...

6 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Are there any rational City fans left? They all seem to have drank the Abu Dhabi Kool-Aid if you read their comments across social media and their forums.

Remember what you’re seeing is mostly just the social media gobshites and football has always been tribal. They’ll defend their club even when deep down they know they’ve done wrong.

Their club is facing an extinction level event and you can’t expect them to be happy about that.

A lot of the city fans are trying to rationalise it with “well we had to do this to catch up with the old cartel too 4 clubs” and I’ve a lot of sympathy for that argument actually. However, rules are for everyone and if they get found guilty there’s only one punishment or else the rest of us might as well give up now because the sport is lost.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Smacks of them getting wind of what the punishment might be and their mindset shifting to a ‘let’s burn it all down’ approach rather than playing innocent. 

The other 19 clubs have a huge part to play in this. The PL will be under huge pressure from the current government to drop charges given they need UAE investment but the PL will be emboldened if clubs start to take a serious stance alongside them. I’ve always wondered why teams don’t just come together and refuse to play them…

The general election on 4th July might play a huge part in this too. I have a feeling a new Labour government will make it harder for the UAE to bribe and pay their way out of this. To be honest, if I was Starner, I’d be quite vocal about this situation more and use it to his advantage. 

It’s going to be a tricky one for Starmer as despite an almost certain majority there has been enough salting of the earth over the last 14 years that he has a mountain to climb in his first term. Add the pulling out of a major investor of billions every year and the promise of huge amounts of further investment I think it might be a dangerous approach to take for the support of a portion of the football fanbase - realistically in constituencies that will already be siding with Labour. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Are there any rational City fans left? They all seem to have drank the Abu Dhabi Kool-Aid if you read their comments across social media and their forums.

The fact they often struggle to fill the ground for massive games suggests to me that a lot of their old fans have stepped back from supporting them during this era.

29 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

What would the general consensus be if it were the Villa instead of man 115y having cheated their way to every trophy in the last decade or so?

I think you’d find the fans would be split into 2 camps. Like City fans are.

31 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

With my tin hat on...

Would we be all defensive like man 155y fans and deny it all and wallow in the false glory and entitlement?

Just wondering....although I would love us to win stuff, personally I would be a bit uneasy and a tad embarrassed that the success was achieved by fraudulent means...

I think it would be a mixed reaction. I wouldnt be keen and have been on verge of giving up football but definitely some fans who support the club at everything they do

25 minutes ago, Rich_H said:

It’s going to be a tricky one for Starmer as despite an almost certain majority there has been enough salting of the earth over the last 14 years that he has a mountain to climb in his first term. Add the pulling out of a major investor of billions every year and the promise of huge amounts of further investment I think it might be a dangerous approach to take for the support of a portion of the football fanbase - realistically in constituencies that will already be siding with Labour. 

On the other hand how sensible is it to rely on being propped up by a state who rely on a dying industry for their wealth? Maybe time to start looking to the future anyway. 

52 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Of course, just like every other club's fans would. You buy success in football, that's the reality. 

Posted (edited)

“According to its report between 10 and 12 top flight clubs have responded to a league request for submissions in support of its rules. One club is meanwhile reported to have provided testimony in support of City’s claim. The takeover of Newcastle United by Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund in 2021 had previously occasioned hurried attempts by clubs to change APT rules.“

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jun/04/manchester-city-launch-legal-action-against-premier-league-over-sponsorship-rules

I assume the club supporting city is either Chelsea or Newcastle, especially on the APT issue. 

Edited by The_Steve

13 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

If you needed anymore reason to hate the bastards, here it is.

They are truly despicable. I hope to god that everyone FINALLY boycotts them and refuses to watch their games next season.

Wont happen though sadly. 

Also, if anyone was in any doubt about them getting punished then this should serve to show you that that just will not be happening. They are not going to get punished. If anything, they'll end up getting rewarded.

The game truly is dead as a competition thanks to this disgrace of a club.

I don't think they'll be rewarded, but like I said yesterday I think a counter action makes it far more likely that they'll settle out of court, especially if this action Man City have just brought does have any chance of succeeding. The PL will take the threat and settle to make it go away.

I agree I think it's very unlikely that Man City get any proper punishments now. A relatively small payment as part of the settlement will be all we see.

And the knock on effect of that could be huge. They'd need to scrap FFP and I imagine many other clubs will be suing them as a result...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

With my tin hat on...

Football is a crazy thing.

The majority would be united behind the team and finding every way we can to defend the club.

Football fans of different clubs really aren't that different on the whole. We'd be doing the same thing

Edited by Stevo985

9 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

They're absolute mentalists.  They believe the "red cartel" are out to get them and that they're under constant attack from the media (they get bummed and their crimes ignored for the most part!)

Every accusation levelled at them is fabricated in order to ptorect the elite.  They are whiter than white and believe they are football's last hope to stand up against the big bullies.

Seriously, check out the Blue Moon forum.  Absolutely crazy stuff.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I think you’d find the fans would be split into 2 camps. Like City fans are.

I'm yet to find any evidence of there being a rational camp that accept that maybe, just maybe the club is guilty of any kind of wrongdoing.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

They're absolute mentalists.  They believe the "red cartel" are out to get them and that they're under constant attack from the media (they get bummed and their crimes ignored for the most part!)

Every accusation levelled at them is fabricated in order to ptorect the elite.  They are whiter than white and believe they are football's last hope to stand up against the big bullies.

Seriously, check out the Blue Moon forum.  Absolutely crazy stuff.

You will not find a better case for sportswashing than what has happened to City fans.

99% of them have totally lost it.

It's worked perfectly.

to be fair if it was villa then I don't think I would deny the charges or the cheating but I would 100% have a right old moan about what FFP is and who it benefits - I do that anyway

FFP is **** shit

there are 2 very large traditional clubs in English football who just so happen to have huge revenue streams and owners who don't want to spend their own money 

you'd do well to convince me that record high season ticket prices, cheese rooms, corporate area bolt ons, £100 football shirts and official pillow supply partners are better than a rich owner sticking his hand in his pocket

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

And they may win absolutely everything but I can't think of a team I'm less jealous of.

Everything they acheive is so hollow, their atmosphere is saturated and they are just a big bowl of cheating nothingness.  I think their fans stuggle to comprehend/accept that other fans feel this way.

I still don't know any of their fans 

Hard to get angry or jealous or any real emotion towards them, it's complete apathy 

• Like 1

Â