Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It was all Liverpool in the 80s, all Man U in the 90s and early 2000s.

The most competitive it has been in ages is probably the 2010s when Chelsea and Man City broke up duopoly, even Leicester got a look in there. 

Now it’s back to being dominated by Manchester, just the blue version this time. 

United were dominating but you had arsenal also competing then. You didnt have four CL spaces back then.

It started getting shit when roman took ovee chelsea thats when it opened the door for stupidly weathlty people coming in and making the game less competitive 

City have won the last four titles in five now expect the same in Cl. Citeh didnt lose one CL game this year shows how strong they are

Even on their peak united didnt spend what citeh have

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That would still be broken and they'd still be on top due to the squad they already have. The top of the line staff they already hired etc.

It was the signing of Tziki Begiristain from Barcelona as Sporting Director that set them up. 

He essentially moved Barcelona’s all conquering team setup over to Man City. 

Man City have gone on to win everything and Barcelona have stagnated. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

United were dominating but you had arsenal also competing then. You didnt have four CL spaces back then.

It started getting shit when roman took ovee chelsea thats when it opened the door for stupidly weathlty people coming in and making the game less competitive 

City have won the last four titles in five now expect the same in Cl. Citeh didnt lose one CL game this year shows how strong they are

Even on their peak united didnt spend what citeh have

United spent more than City now. 

At their peak United were blowing teams out of the water with their spending. £30m central defenders over 20 years ago etc. 

People have short memories. 

• Like 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

At their peak United were blowing teams out of the water with their spending. £30m central defenders over 20 years ago etc. 

United spent billions in the 90s? Where you picking that up from? They were spending the like of 12m on yorke then it gradually increased over time 

And even if united were spending they generated thwie own income back then by their own success 

Not having absolutely poor side taken over and just given unlimited wealth. Completely different 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

United spent billions in the 90s? Where you picking that up from? They were spending the like of 12m on yorke then it gradually increased over time 

And even if united were spending they generated thwie own income back then by their own success 

Not having absolutely poor side taken over and just given unlimited wealth. Completely different 

No Unted are spending billions now, they are spending enough to compete with City but are not as well run.

20 years ago they were outspending all the rest of the competition by miles. No one could compete with their wealth. 

• Like 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

No Unted are spending billions now, they are spending enough to compete with City but are not as well run.

20 years ago they were outspending all the rest of the competition by miles. No one could compete with their wealth. 

i agree they are spending and poorly managed but they cant at the moment compete with city, they go for a lower tier as shown with sancho, weghorst. City blew United out the water with haaland

United if they get taken over by qatar will be able to compete with them. However instead of it being city it will be united citeh and Newcastle (all state owned)

How is that going to make the game better for the other 17 clubs?

• Like 2

I think when Guardiola leaves there's a good chance they will have a spell where they won't be so dominant, they will still be comfortably top four and big contenders for other compeitions and will still win things including the odd title probably, but I don't think their success will be as guaranteed as it is now, they will basically go back to how they were before Guardiola, when they were obviously doing well, but weren't winning the title every season, in fact previous to Guardiola they won the title just twice in seven years since takeover, compared to five titles in seven years since Guardiola's arrival.

Guardiola has done a good job in the sense that despite the resources available most managers wouldn't be capable of doing as well as he's done as shown by those that came before him, and I think it will be shown again after he leaves.

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Does anyone really believe that we can truely compete with man citeh ?

Well without the financial doping that started all those years ago… absolutely. 

Does Robinho sign for them, does Mancini sign for them… Christ I bet there’s been some excessive numbers exchanged  hands in the background in private, let’s not forget the agents part in persuading players to sign for certain clubs.

I remember reading this forum when Milner was rumoured to be signing for Man City, and Mysteryman who was a well known 'ITK' at the time said the money was staggering, but it was more than that they were offering other things hard to turn down, or words along those lines.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

This all assumes we believe the figures that City are spending, I don’t believe them. 

This, for everyone comparing the spend, you’re forgetting, we already know there’s been hidden contracts, plus who knows what else.

So saying Chelsea and Man U have also spent 1 billion, is not comparable to City’s 1 billion. You’re probably looking at doubling it to 2 billion. 

That’s more likely a fair comparison.

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, useless said:

I remember reading this forum when Milner was rumoured to be signing for Man City, and Mysteryman who was a well known 'ITK' at the time said the money was staggering, but it was more than that they were offering other things hard to turn down, or words along those lines.

I can only imagine what income they earn which is not declared. Other perks like air travel etc. 

Just now, The_Steve said:

I can only imagine what income they earn which is not declared. Other perks like air travel etc. 

Image rights have always been a way of hiding salary, especially as it only attracts 20% tax.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

You are correct, but they could have legally afford to so if FFP had been a thing then

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

They had the medals stripped off them so probably not that fondly

Yeah but do they still feel like they won the league even though they don’t have a medal?

It must be quite a weird feeling

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Which is crazy because everything they have was built off cheating if they're found guilty. 

That's true of course, but such is life. When a formerly doping cyclist returns to the peloton, his body is still 'improved' by the doping he did before. But unless you ban people for life, you have to set a time beyond which you consider the slate clean. The equivalent of banning a cyclist for life is shutting down the football club, and since no-one is arguing for that (or not seriously anyway) you have to accept that what they win after the period for which there are charges they have won legitimately. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Why are you and others continuing to talk about how much they are spending rather than the fact they have cheated at LEAST 115 times?

That's the ONLY part that matters as far as I'm concerned. Liverpool in the 80s and Man Utd in the 90s was not in any way comparable. 

All you are doing with this false equivalence is playing into their hands. They are CHEATS! Which part of that is difficult to understand exactly?

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think when Guardiola leaves there's a good chance they will have a spell where they won't be so dominant, they will still be comfortably top four and big contenders for other compeitions and will still win things including the odd title probably, but I don't think their success will be as guaranteed as it is now, they will basically go back to how they were before Guardiola, when they were obviously doing well, but weren't winning the title every season, in fact previous to Guardiola they won the title just twice in seven years since takeover, compared to five titles in seven years since Guardiola's arrival.

Guardiola has done a good job in the sense that despite the resources available most managers wouldn't be capable of doing as well as he's done as shown by those that came before him, and I think it will be shown again after he leaves.

This is debatable and something we will never know. To have the Financial advantage he has had both legitimately and then again from financial doping, to only win the title in May isn't as impressive as you might think.

They even failed to win the league AT ALL a few years back when Liverpool won it. With the cheating advantage as well as the legitimate finances they have, maybe they should be winning it by March every year if he was THAT good. 

15 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

I might be misreading your post, apologies if so, but, what is wrong with what Jack said?

You're not, I just thought this about those comments:

"To win the treble with this group of players is so special" - It would be a bit more special to win with a bunch of players that were not all superstars, gathered together at great expense and paid for by shady means that have brought so many charges against his current club.

"This is just what you work for your whole life. I am so happy." He's got the medals he left us for, but they are a little tarnished in my opinion and I just felt those comments, rather suggest he has perhaps taken what he achieved during his time at the club that he supports, out of his trophy cabinet and put them up in the attic, replacing those memories with more recent ones from his current club. 

I should have got over it and moved on like he has, but I just think his celebrations and some of his comments, will have stung a few young fans that idolised him during his time at our club, a little bit like (although not anywhere near as much yet) as did a certain Mr Yorke after he left us for the other team in Manchester, for more money and for a fistful of medals. 

17 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Why are you and others continuing to talk about how much they are spending rather than the fact they have cheated at LEAST 115 times?

That's the ONLY part that matters as far as I'm concerned. Liverpool in the 80s and Man Utd in the 90s was not in any way comparable. 

All you are doing with this false equivalence is playing into their hands. They are CHEATS! Which part of that is difficult to understand exactly?

It is putting the allegations in perspective. 

The allegations are that they spent money to become competitive with the bigger clubs. They were not allowed to be competitive with the likes of Man U and Liverpool because Man U and Liverpool pushed for rule changes that would prevent a smaller team from being competitive with them. 

Man U and Liverpool wanted it to remain a closed shop at the top and don’t want to share their advantage that they had manoeuvred into over the years when the PL money rolled in. 

The idea that they outspent Man U, Chelsea, Madrid etc is not true. They simply bought a place to compete with those clubs at the top table.

They now spend in the same ballpark as other top teams. Their achievements on the pitch however are achieved by being well managed and well run. This part seems to be lost in rage from rival supporters. They are not spending money that Madrid, Man U or Chelsea can’t do as well, they are just doing a better job with the money they are spending.

Personally I think FFP is a bunch of bullshit. However those are the rules and City will most likely be punished for breaking them.

• Shocked 1

Â