Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Are the fixtures random? I always assumed there was a level of manual engineering going on.  

Definitely manipulated. You never see a big derby or title decider scheduled for the final game

Random making over 30 years would schedule it

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Does it matter if its random?

Don't American sports plan it out so big games happen on important days?

I'm pretty sure the NBA pick big teams to play each other on Christmas day.

Everyone plays everyone twice anyway.

Basically yes, it matters. Obviously there are some parameters like policing constraints, not having long sequences of home or away games, etc, but once past that it's important the order is random. The reason is that a manager who has a run like WDLLWDLLWDLL is less likely to be sacked than one who has WWWLDLDLLDLL, despite those being exactly the same results, because fans and media obsess over runs like 'X games without a win'. We saw this fairly clearly with Vieira this season. Consequently, if people actively pick the fixtures, they could - consciously or otherwise - set up a manager to lose his job. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Definitely manipulated. You never see a big derby or title decider scheduled for the final game

Random making over 30 years would schedule it

Nah, that’s way too small a sample with the amount of variables involved. 

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nah, that’s way too small a sample with the amount of variables involved. 

So no big derby or final game Arsenal/United or City/Chelsea

We have drawn Man United I think 6 times in the early cup rounds in that time which is even more difficult

Edited by Zatman

Its 100% manipulated

Years back when us and baggies were in the PL they lined it up so we alternated home / away games, is and baggies were never at home on the same day, they even had the one season where we would be at home to utd and baggies would be away to city, did it with Everton and Liverpool too

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Its 100% manipulated

Years back when us and baggies were in the PL they lined it up so we alternated home / away games, is and baggies were never at home on the same day, they even had the one season where we would be at home to utd and baggies would be away to city, did it with Everton and Liverpool too

Yes but that's been covered above, those are requests from the relevant policing authority. 

8 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Does it matter if its random?

Don't American sports plan it out so big games happen on important days?

I'm pretty sure the NBA pick big teams to play each other on Christmas day.

Everyone plays everyone twice anyway.

They do, but as a Luton you'd much rather have 3 final fixtures of Everton and Wolves at Home and Palace away, than say Man City and Plop away and Villa at home. 

Everyone plays twice, but form and rhythm come in to the equation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mic09 said:

They do, but as a Luton you'd much rather have 3 final fixtures of Everton and Wolves at Home and Palace away, than say Man City and Plop away and Villa at home. 

Everyone plays twice, but form and rhythm come in to the equation. 

Or as seen this season, playing City on the last day when they've already won and have 2 Cup finals to worry about is actually a good thing.

Edited by MrBlack

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Or as seen this season, playing City on the last day when they've already won and have 2 Cup finals to worry about is actually a good thing.

I'm picturing our game against Everton being a relegation decider for them...or hopefully they're already down with nothing to play for. 

Everton are shit but wont be relegated in January 😜

• Thanks 1

Probably been mentioned in the fixtures thread, but as it’s being discussed here, our home games against Everton seem to regularly occur early in the season. 

19/20 - 3rd game

21/22 - 5th game 

22/23 - 2nd game

23/24 - 2nd game

The exception there is the 20/21 season when both home and away games took place May. Still, it’s slightly odd that our home game against them is often scheduled early.

Hand them the trophy now and then play the season with just 19 teams. It would genuinely be the best solution and would mean nobody fawning over them.

As someone who won't see a single one of their games, it makes no difference to me who they play and when, but the idea the fixtures are fixed in order for them to play a game against Burnley is utterly bizarre. Neither set of "fans" would want that as an opening game and its about as shit a game for neutrals as is possible to exist.

They've won the league already  it makes no difference to them in which order they get to facilities their cheating. The fixture was generated randomly, as all fixtures are, with the exception of a (very) few caveats for policing matters.

21 hours ago, Genie said:

Are the fixtures random? I always assumed there was a level of manual engineering going on.  

They’re random but there’s loads of criteria in there, like two teams from the same city not being able to play at home on the same day (I assume this doesn’t count for London)

So I think that means you get certain repeating patterns 

I see Manchester Citeh's chairman is "frustrated" that the charges against his club have cast shadows over their treble. He has been quoted on BBC Sport (link below) as follows:

"I can't talk about them (the charges) unfortunately for legal reasons. These are proceedings that take whatever time they take and when we're done, I'll give you my very blunt views. I have very strong views on that, but I am going to be unfortunately very restrained today."

"We want to win these and we want to add them to the history of this great club, to the legacy of this great club. Everything we do is setting new records and new standards."

"I hope people focus and judge them for their football and what they're achieving on the pitch and what they're achieving in every competition they're in. That's the reality."

He's got some cheek hasn't he? He can keep his blunt views to himself. Who is he to talk of "standards"? What we choose to focus on is up to us, they will be judged (not soon enough) and that is reality. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65948362 

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

On 19/06/2023 at 17:45, John said:

I see Manchester Citeh's chairman is "frustrated" that the charges against his club have cast shadows over their treble. He has been quoted on BBC Sport (link below) as follows:

"I can't talk about them (the charges) unfortunately for legal reasons. These are proceedings that take whatever time they take and when we're done, I'll give you my very blunt views. I have very strong views on that, but I am going to be unfortunately very restrained today."

"We want to win these and we want to add them to the history of this great club, to the legacy of this great club. Everything we do is setting new records and new standards."

"I hope people focus and judge them for their football and what they're achieving on the pitch and what they're achieving in every competition they're in. That's the reality."

He's got some cheek hasn't he? He can keep his blunt views to himself. Who is he to talk of "standards"? What we choose to focus on is up to us, they will be judged (not soon enough) and that is reality. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65948362 

Does this sound like a man that knows there is trouble ahead? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Doubling down. Hinting that if they are penalised they will be repercussions etc

They've got some dirt on the big wigs at the PL no doubt.  Possibly related to brown envelopes.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

Â