Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'll put it here rather than the Grealish thread

Kevin De Bruyne.... City's best player, real argument for best midfielder in football... Just hasn't got that star appeal has he? Watching a bit (not a lot tbf) of the celebrations and not seen him once

I'm sure theres the right appreciation of him here but do kids really have KDB posters on their wall? He just seems biege

Spending the vast majority of his career at such a soulless project will have an affect on how he is perceived after he retires. 

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I'll put it here rather than the Grealish thread

Kevin De Bruyne.... City's best player, real argument for best midfielder in football... Just hasn't got that star appeal has he? Watching a bit (not a lot tbf) of the celebrations and not seen him once

I'm sure theres the right appreciation of him here but do kids really have KDB posters on their wall? He just seems biege

It's why they spent 100m on Grealish. Even if he wasn't a world class player, the fact that he's not some boring robot like the rest of the squad is a big deal for City's image. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

How awfully convenient for them to get Burnley on the opening weekend 

Or the PL got sold the story from sky that they want kompany vs man city on the opening weekend guaranteed TV game and interest

Its not so much that they've given city an "easy" game it's that they bow down to the TV companies

Im also sure that the champions used to get a home game to start

• Like 1

On 15/06/2023 at 10:30, The_Steve said:

How awfully convenient for them to get Burnley on the opening weekend 

On 15/06/2023 at 10:46, villa4europe said:

Or the PL got sold the story from sky that they want kompany vs man city on the opening weekend guaranteed TV game and interest

Its not so much that they've given city an "easy" game it's that they bow down to the TV companies

Im also sure that the champions used to get a home game to start

Man City haven't had a home game opener since 2016/17 season (Sunderland at home).
Last season they had West Ham away.  Season before that, Spurs away.  Season before that, Wolves away.  Season before that, West Ham away.  Season before that, Arsenal away.  Season before that, Brighton away.

Not everything is a conspiracy lads.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

not sure suggesting that the PL picked a good TV game for the opening fixture is a conspiracy theory

you don't think the magic PL fixture machine takes that in to consideration?

The PL is so massively consumed that there are basic story lines you can attach to almost any fixture.

If this was a thing, why did it not happen last season?  Or in 2021/22?  Or in 2020/21?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The PL is so massively consumed that there are basic story lines you can attach to almost any fixture.

If this was a thing, why did it not happen last season?  Or in 2021/22?  Or in 2020/21?

you mean last season when the opening fixture was patrick vieira's crystal palace vs his old club arsenal?

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

you mean last season when the opening fixture was patrick vieira's crystal palace vs his old club arsenal?

A game picked so selectively that, if I did ever read about it, it has been completely eradicated from my mind :D 

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

not sure suggesting that the PL picked a good TV game for the opening fixture is a conspiracy theory

you don't think the magic PL fixture machine takes that in to consideration?

Thing is, though - it isn’t a good TV game. It’s just an interesting back story. People aren’t wanking themselves into a fury over the idea of watching Man City batter a newly promoted side.

There’s an angle you can attach to most fixtures in the league, and the story will always be bigged up by the PL and Sky to get viewers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Thing is, though - it isn’t a good TV game. People aren’t wanking themselves into a fury over the idea of watching Man City.

You could have just posted this.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Are the fixtures random? I always assumed there was a level of manual engineering going on.  

They set some rules that dictate a few things (certain teams not playing at home at the same time, no team having more than 2 consecutive home or away games, and some specific things) but then leave it to a random automated generator to do most of it.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Thanks 1

There is a huge level of manipulation when it comes to figures. Back when it was just the 'big 4', why did they always play each other on the same round of fixtures. The so-called Super Sundays. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

There is a huge level of manipulation when it comes to figures. Back when it was just the 'big 4', why did they always play each other on the same round of fixtures. The so-called Super Sundays. 

I think you'll find it was called 'Grand Slam Sunday'

2 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I think you'll find it was called 'Grand Slam Sunday'

They were usually gash 0-0's from memory! 

Does it matter if its random?

Don't American sports plan it out so big games happen on important days?

I'm pretty sure the NBA pick big teams to play each other on Christmas day.

Everyone plays everyone twice anyway.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â