Speeding

JMilnereatsnails

Got a speeding ticket doing 62mph through a temporary 40mph where the M6 Toll meets the M42 going South.

Considering that the 40mph temporary limit was shown on the overhead indicators but the 3 lane carraigeway was totally clear (the photograph will only show my vehicle present from any distance), it was a clear bright morning 08:30 am and my speed was not particularly excessive, how do you think my chances would be of appealing and getting this overturned?

Was the 40 advertised within a red circle, or just on the yellow flashy boards?

If the answer is the red circle, your chances are zero.

Its a strict liability offence with incredibily limited scope for defence. Cough up the £60 take the points and move on. (Withing the prescribed speed limit)

If it was the flashy yellow ones, they are advisory only.

EDIT, oh and in the eyes of the magistrates and the police 22mph over the limit will be seen as excessive.

Slim. The only defence against a temporary limit is that it wasn't well sign-posted (or equivalent). If it was, then it doesn't matter how temporary it was. You were breaking a legal limit.

Yeah it was in the red circle above the carrageway, I really don't think I have any chance either but I'm going to try anyway. Do you get a ban for frivolous appeal?

Does the appeal involve a trip to magistrates' court? If so, you'll get lumped for whatever fine they choose to impose, plus costs.

If its just a "wasn't me guv" type of appeal be careful and tell the truth. As Chris Huhn will testify, perverting the course of justice carries a much larger sentence than speeding.

Unless you've already got 9 points is it really worth the aggro?

62 in a 40 is frowned upon

Time to start worrying

Time to start worrying about what? 62 on a 3 lane motorway in clear conditions I doubt will be frowned upon. Maybe if I was passing a school or through a built-up area then yeah but not in these circumstances

I don't think it works like that.

Their reasoning will go: "It was set at 40 for a good reason. It's not up to you to decide whether it's necessary or not, it's your responsibility to obey the instructions".

Bullshit, you may think, but they hold all the trump cards.

When the Conditional Offer of Fixed Penalty arrives I'm going to respond and ask for the photo, which I'm pretty sure will look something like this -

37895994.jpg

Then ask for what reason was the speed limit reduced? Do the camera enforcement agency keep track of the exact times that these limits are imposed? What if the speed limit came on a split second before I passed?

The "reason" could have been anything - maybe an accident, or a fog patch or something, some way up the road, not visible to you yet, but they needed to make sure that traffic started slowing down well in advance. You can't make assumptions, you just have to obey the signs, because if you don't they'll get you. And they got you.

If you've got no recent previous then it will most likely be a speed awareness course rather than points

Depends if 22mph over the limit is deemed dangerous / excessive .... Mine was only a mere 18mph over the limit ( still 36% over mind )

I'd guess that will be a 6 pointer

No chance.

I got done doing 47 in a 30 (not my proudest moment, not because I'm ashamed of speeding, but because I'm ashamed I didn't spot the sneaky van parked under the bridge!) and only got 3 points.

That's pretty much exactly the same, percentage wise, as this case so I'd be very surprised if he got 6 points. Plus he was on a motorway, I was on a standard (albeit very wide) road

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â