maqroll

34 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You had this brilliant insight just after they won 6-2 one week then dropped points at home the weekend after 🧐

Was thinking about last season as well where they were wildly inconsistent. The way they’ve stockpiled attacking talent suggests when it clicks the goals will fly in but the lack of team spirit will be the undoing when things get tough in a game or a season.

Just an armchair prediction though. Are you of a different opinion? Consistency and progression await? Guessing there may be a couple of good results against Noah FC and Shamrock Rovers in the conference..:then again Servette beat them 

Edited by rodders129

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

Was thinking about last season as well where they were wildly inconsistent. The way they’ve stockpiled attacking talent suggests when it clicks the goals will fly in but the lack of team spirit will be the undoing when things get tough in a game or a season.

Just an armchair prediction though. Are you of a different opinion? Consistency and progression await?

I just thought your timing was amusing. If you’d predicted it a week ago I’d be calling you a genius though 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

At a guess they've effectively restructured his deal, whatever the numbers, he was on say £200k a week for 5 years and now he's on £170k for 9 years, or he gets say a drop down to £150k for the next 2 years then it bumps up over time, kicks the can down the road 

The yanks do it all the time in their sports 

He signed for 8 years when he joined

I wonder what the end game is for Chelsea, what happens at the ‘end of the road’, are they banking on the scrapping of PSR, FFP, other sanctions? Or are they just confident they can keep navigating the rules by selling assets to their linked companies. 

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He signed for 8 years when he joined

Yeah, so he signed for 8 years on £x per week and now he's signed for 9 years on £y per week

The £y will benefit Chelsea financially in the short term while the 9 years guaranteed contract benefits him, it looks **** daft but they both benefit 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah, so he signed for 8 years on £x per week and now he's signed for 9 years on £y per week

The £y will benefit Chelsea financially in the short term while the 9 years guaranteed contract benefits him, it looks **** daft but they both benefit 

Well money seems be no issue but the PSR should only count on 5 year deals

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well money seems be no issue but the PSR should only count on 5 year deals

Jackson's contract amortises over its full length I think, because he was signed before the 5-year limit came into being. 

Re 'money seems to be no issue', I'm not sure. Stefan Borson - the finance guy who appears on White & Jordan - claimed this earlier:

(you'll need to click it to open it, but basically he's claiming that under a set of generous-seeming conditions, Chelsea would still need £75m of additional profit not to break PSR this season)

I have no way of assessing if the sums are right obviously, but it seems likely that they need to find big sums of cash in January and June to offset all their spending, which means the unedifying sight of trying to force every academy player out of the club isn't over. Doubtless Colwill and James will have their turns next, and they'll keep hoping they can get a club to actually *buy* Chalobah and Broja rather than loaning them. 

In an environment where they're struggling for cash it would make sense to renegotiate contracts to lighten the load upfront and backload it later. I'm sure that's exactly what you're seeing in this Jackson deal. He may not be the last. It's an alright idea as financial engineering goes, but as Barcelona have proven selling their future media rights it all starts to catch up eventually. 

• Like 1

Chelsea are a perfect example of the whole being less than the sum of parts.

If you have three sticks of different lengths and put them together, no matter how you position them, the sum will be the same. The only way that changes is someone takes the wood and builds something new, and that seems far far far from happening. Really stupid to have lost Poch. He saw the light and got out. Behdad Eghbali doesn't know what the **** he's doing, obviously.

Think I've worked out the Chelsea masterplan. Basically going to have a raft of testimonials in the early 2030s and they'll probably demand all the players donate the gate money directly to the club.😁

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Jackson's contract amortises over its full length I think, because he was signed before the 5-year limit came into being. 

Re 'money seems to be no issue', I'm not sure. Stefan Borson - the finance guy who appears on White & Jordan - claimed this earlier:

(you'll need to click it to open it, but basically he's claiming that under a set of generous-seeming conditions, Chelsea would still need £75m of additional profit not to break PSR this season)

I have no way of assessing if the sums are right obviously, but it seems likely that they need to find big sums of cash in January and June to offset all their spending, which means the unedifying sight of trying to force every academy player out of the club isn't over. Doubtless Colwill and James will have their turns next, and they'll keep hoping they can get a club to actually *buy* Chalobah and Broja rather than loaning them. 

In an environment where they're struggling for cash it would make sense to renegotiate contracts to lighten the load upfront and backload it later. I'm sure that's exactly what you're seeing in this Jackson deal. He may not be the last. It's an alright idea as financial engineering goes, but as Barcelona have proven selling their future media rights it all starts to catch up eventually. 

Buying up all those players, even with amortisation and long term contracts on modest wages, means they have already spent all their income and some for the next 7-9 years.

Chelsea needs to increase their yearly income to keep with the PSR, and that something they can’t do without success on the pitch, read qualify for CL.

Maybe Chelsea can keep within the PSR for one or two more years with some clever accounting tricks, but at some stage they will be in breach of PSR and possibly be relegated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, a-k said:

Sold Angelo (who?) to Saudi for 19mil after buying him last summer for 13mil

I might start investing in non league players, buy them for say £1k, then year later sell them for £6k 

10 hours ago, a-k said:

Sold Angelo (who?) to Saudi for 19mil after buying him last summer for 13mil

Basically Saudi will keep bailing them out in next 5 years. Fully expecting one of the clubs to come in with a 60m bid for Kepa in 12 months.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Cleared of any issues with the sale of hotels to themselves thus keeping them within the PSR rules. Apparently the hotel sale was fair market value. 

It was indeed, I wonder when they going to look at the Women's Team sale.

2 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

It was indeed, I wonder when they going to look at the Women's Team sale.

I think that’s in this financial year 24/25 isn’t it?

Whereas the hotels were squeezed into 23/24 in June when it looked like they were going to fail PSR.

14 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

How can you sell something to yourself….?! 

We did it with our stadium didn't we?

At the end of the day, a business (Chelsea Football Club) owns an asset (two hotels). They can sell that to another company. It's certainly *suspicious* when that other company is a related party, but that's why you do a fair market value test. 

13 hours ago, ender4 said:

When you are one of the favoured corrupt teams.  Imagine if Everton had done that!

Didn’t we sell our training ground to another Xia company? (maybe it was the stadium).

Edited by Genie

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â