maqroll

but the thing is he has the most expensive squad assembled in the world(30 million euros for a solid left back) and has a record similar to Roberto Mancini in last 3 seasons and this guy has got slaughtered all over the place

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, or maybe he should take a team from a mediocre league and win the UEFA Cup and the Champions League with them in back to back seasons. THEN we would find out if he is any good or not!

Winning trophies with Porto is a bit different than Stoke, isn't it? The Portuguese league is essentially a three club league; the same could be said of most leagues. He took the best Portuguese club of the last 20 years and won. Not saying he's not worthy of praise. But I'd like to see him take a truly shit side and build them up.

Yeah, or maybe he should take a team from a mediocre league and win the UEFA Cup and the Champions League with them in back to back seasons. THEN we would find out if he is any good or not!

Winning trophies with Porto is a bit different than Stoke, isn't it? The Portuguese league is essentially a three club league; the same could be said of most leagues. He took the best Portuguese club of the last 20 years and won. Not saying he's not worthy of praise. But I'd like to see him take a truly shit side and build them up.

He got the Porto job by over achieving with a small portugese club. He then over acheved with Porto and has continued to be successful and win titles and trophies with every club since.

He doesn't have to take a step back to taking over a small Portuguese club again (or a small Premier League club) he has already done it.

It's not like he is some sort of football god who wins every trophy on offer every season but he is a very good manager with a record that only the very best can compare with.

• Like 1

^^^Agree.

And even if people thought he should, why would he? He could get a job with any club. Why would he take a step back?

People said the same about Pep. How he's just going to another big club that's easy to win with. Why wouldn't he? Why would he go to a smaller club and risk his reputation and success when he could go to one of the biggest clubs in the world with an absolute war chest at his disposal?

but the thing is he has the most expensive squad assembled in the world(30 million euros for a solid left back) and has a record similar to Roberto Mancini in last 3 seasons and this guy has got slaughtered all over the place

He's competing against a team that's harder to finish above, in my opinion. Also, Jose made more SF appearances in the CL in the past 3 years than Mancini won CL games.

• Like 1

http://youtu.be/ATp7H0dRc6g

"I brought my little paper, waiting for a question that requires this little paper. The league of the records is mine. You want to erase it, but you can't.

20 years without winning a cup... maybe it's because it isn't easy. And we won a cup twenty years later... you can't erase that either. La Supercopa is little (not important).

But, the 3 Champions semi-finals, that, for me personally, don't feed my ego, neither leave me satisfied, may that be very clear, but it must not be easy, and I will explain you why it must not be easy. Because John Toshack, Di Stefano, Antic, Beenhakker, Benito Floro, Arsenio, Fabio Capello, Heynckes, Hiddink, Del Bosque, Queiroz, Camacho, Garcia Remón, Vanderlei Luxemburgo, López Caro, Fabio Capello again, Juande Ramos, Schuster, and Pellegrini, 18 managers in 21 years, 5 Champions semi-finals. The good-for-nothing Mourinho, 3 years, 3 Champions semi-finals.

Do you want the little paper?"

• Like 1

I don't think his style is as bad as those make out. His Madrid team (generally) scores goals for fun, iirc his Chelsea were top scorers in the league, and Inter didn't exactly 1-0 their way to the treble.

His teams are very clinical, and I think he gets unfair criticism on that front.

Sure, if you were to give me a choice of a season ticket at any club in the world, his teams wouldn't be top of the pile, but wouldn't be at the bottom either.

Benitez plays an insufferable style of football, on the other hand. I've never enjoyed watching his teams. They always seem so... plodding.

(The occasional jammy CL match aside...)

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

• 1 month later...
Chelsea FC signs landmark £300m 10-year kit deal with adidas

Chelsea FC has signed a landmark £300m 10-year kit deal with adidas.

The sponsorship is believed to be a world record fee, surpassing Manchester United's 15-year £287m deal with Nike in 2000.

Chelsea first signed with adidas in 2006 and renegotiated the deal in 2010 with the previous deal worth around £20m per year.

"The new deal reaffirms adidas' belief in Chelsea's status in world football," said chief executive Ron Gourlay.

The huge sum means Chelsea will no longer be so reliant on billionaire owner Roman Abramovich who has been bankrolling the club and gives recently reinstated manager Jose Mourinho the ability to start buying new players.

Chelsea's kit deal is the third in recent weeks and far surpasses the £30m-a-year Arsenal and Puma and £25m-a-year Liverpool and Warrior deals

link

Edited by tarjei

I thought that too. I guess they mean since the Arsenal deal is "only" 5 years so the Chelsea deal is worth more in that sense, although I'm sure Arsenal can get a good deal in 5 years time too.

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to be reminded that I hate them for a reason. It's timely too because they were just becoming acceptable to me. Thanks Matthew and the Rev :thumb:

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â