maqroll

9 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Probably due to the fact that over the past 20 years they've been hugely successful and we've largely been shit probably goes a long way. 

And the previous 30 years it was the other way around and they played at a Dump.

I repeat, why do they get away with this despite finishing behind us 2 years in a row?

• Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I would love to know what Chelsea’s strategy is other than stopping other clubs improving their squads by signing everyone.

Their strategy is to get loads of youngsters in the first draft, develop them and then trade them for other players once they are better.  Or something like that.

12 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I repeat, why do they get away with this despite finishing behind us 2 years in a row?

How they get away with it is something different but their turnover is still going to be closer to triple ours than it is double 

Chelsea are rich, top 10 rich (close to top 5?) the rules are designed to protect them

As a snapshot, we finish above them 2 years in a row, we go and get ourselves a record shirt and sleeve + main sponsor deal worth £42m (?) Chelsea's is £40m for the sponsor and £60m from Nike and then £10m for the sleeve and then they get another £12m for their training gear

Finishing above them does not catch them 

• Like 2

Just now, villa4europe said:

How they get away with it is something different but their turnover is still going to be closer to triple ours than it is double 

Chelsea are rich, top 10 rich (close to top 5?) the rules are designed to protect them

As a snapshot, we finish above them 2 years in a row, we go and get ourselves a record shirt and sleeve + main sponsor deal worth £42m (?) Chelsea's is £40m for the sponsor and £60m from Nike and then £10m for the sleeve and then they get another £12m for their training gear

Then something is horribly horribly wrong with the League.

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

10 minutes ago, Hobsons Choice said:

At the end of the day football is a business.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

And the previous 30 years it was the other way around and they played at a Dump.

Well, whilst we've been crap a shitload of money has come into football. Chelsea have been one of the best teams in the country during the financial boom of football so commercially, they're far more successful than we are. 

Since FFP/PSR is all based on turnover %'s, Chelsea will be bring in far more money than we are and as a result, can spend more than we can. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hobsons Choice said:

no doubt, sometimes its surprising FFP got voted in as realistically it gives teams no real chance to compete long term (see leicester not us) but at the same time how many PL clubs voted while looking down rather than up? its not the 6 teams above them that was the driving factor it was the 72 EFL teams below them, the disparity between the big 6 and the other 14 is probably as big as the 20 PL teams and the other 72, its designed for the status quo and for a lot of PL teams that means their PL place too

its a **** joke of a rule

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

At the end of the day football is a business.

I guess it's more emotionally profitable in the long term to support Manchester City then. 

The fact that the above statement is facetious just shows that fans are now not being entertained, they are being exploited for their allegiances. When did this start? Was it always like this to a degree? I dunno. It's just so dispiriting. 

9 minutes ago, Hobsons Choice said:

I guess it's more emotionally profitable in the long term to support Manchester City then. 

The fact that the above statement is facetious just shows that fans are now not being entertained, they are being exploited for their allegiances. When did this start? Was it always like this to a degree? I dunno. It's just so dispiriting. 

Of course, many people just want success.

You are correct though it's dispiriting. Villa would need years of continued success in winning trophies to really stand any chance on a global scale.

I recently moved to Nanjing and I haven't looked properly yet in sports shops but what I have seen are Man. City, Manure, Liverplop, Barcelona and Bayern Munich shirts...oh and the Saudi team Ronaldo plays for...

It's all about the brand.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Sad 1

Has there been any explanation why the Omorodion transfer feel through?

Think it was Ornstein who said that the clubs had agreed things and the club + player had but it failed at the last minute. Seems very odd to just walk away at the 11th hour

29 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

Has there been any explanation why the Omorodion transfer feel through?

Think it was Ornstein who said that the clubs had agreed things and the club + player had but it failed at the last minute. Seems very odd to just walk away at the 11th hour

Might be the first player with any sense, probably looked at what is going at Chelsea and thought f*ck that. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Might be the first player with any sense, probably looked at what is going at Chelsea and thought f*ck that. 

That was Jhon Duran 😉

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Man city have been more successful than them yet you dont see them having a squad of 50+ players

Why there isnt a limit to how many players you can sign i will never know.

If a rule comes in about wage bills in the future like in spain they are totally ****

Glad you wrote this because I came to this thread to ask a related question: if they have 40-50 senior players but can only register 25, are they going to have the mother of all fire sales before the end of the window? I don’t understand 1) how they can afford to pay so many senior players, and 2) why senior players would accept not being registered in a squad for a season? 

I’m probably missing something really obvious so would be grateful if anyone can explain it to me - please?? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hobsons Choice said:

Sure, there's a way of looking at it that's really depressing, but also we've managed to finish above Chelsea twice in a row while on a third of the turnover and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if we did it again so maybe looking at it like that is a way to cheer up a bit. 

40 minutes ago, Awol said:

Glad you wrote this because I came to this thread to ask a related question: if they have 40-50 senior players but can only register 25, are they going to have the mother of all fire sales before the end of the window? I don’t understand 1) how they can afford to pay so many senior players, and 2) why senior players would accept not being registered in a squad for a season? 

I’m probably missing something really obvious so would be grateful if anyone can explain it to me - please?? 

U21s don't need to be registered so that's about 10 of them 

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

U21s don't need to be registered so that's about 10 of them 

Yet you can't name that many subs

Its a impossible task keeping all those players happy. Also going to be impossible for the poundland pep to be able to know his best 11

50 minutes ago, Awol said:

I bet of we did that there would be utter outrage

Their strategy is the same as Man City’s although more extreme: buy lots of talent, loan them out or keep them for a year or two and then sell off at a profit. Very simple, in fact. As long as there is no limit on players under contract. Quite risky of course, but still completely legal and as long as talented players are willing to sign for them, they will continue. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sure, there's a way of looking at it that's really depressing, but also we've managed to finish above Chelsea twice in a row while on a third of the turnover and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if we did it again so maybe looking at it like that is a way to cheer up a bit. 

Sure, I get that, and I gotta be honest it was good to see us beat them last year. I'm certainly not depressed after the great season we had. I think though that ultimately money generally equates success, and we have to be honest about what we're doing as a sport.

We're at a bit of a turning point it seems at the moment, and we need those in charge to show some integrity in the face of the temptation of unlimited wealth. The league thinks that the patience of fans to endure extended periods of being unable to fairly compete is unlimited. I don't. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â